TF2M Annual Major Contest # 3

BrokenTripod

L5: Dapper Member
May 11, 2009
NOOOOOO!!!

Finally, a contest that I really want to enter, a game type that I wanted to make a map for but didn't bother to figure out the entities (the CTF one), and I can't enter it. Is there any possible way to run Hammer in offline mode? The only things getting in the way are lack of internet (going on a 5-week trip, will have internet every now and then), and time.

I want to map so bad. but I can't.

Hammer works in offline mode as long as you were online...

So theoretically, I think you could start up steam in online mode, open up Source SDK and possibly hammer, then just leave your computer on for a while.

Also, during the small occasions that Source DOES work offline (Like, it lets you use offline mode) I think Source SDK/Hammer work fine anyway..?

I've for sure done some mapping offline by taking my computer in hibernate/standby mode places.

Hopefully it goes well for you =D

BrokenTripod

May 11, 2009
to run hammer in offline mode you just start offline mode...and run hammer <_<

and sigh...the last thing I wanted to see was more payload maps, at least there will be people doing a ctf variant instead

Have you had any luck getting offline mode to work? Because every single time I've tried in the last few months, I click "start steam in offline mode" and it attempts to log me in (Lol fail) and then tells me that it can't connect to Steam servers. (Of course! It's supposed to be offline!)

This is why I do the start up steam, then unplug internet, hibernate and go method.

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
its always worked for me, I use it quite frequently on my laptop

of the few errors ive had it was either due to a crash or not having all my games and the sdk updated

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

L10: Glamorous Member
Apr 12, 2008
Def not interested in another payload map considering I'm still working on the one from last year's contest.

I'm telling myself I don't want to do ctf either, but even as I do that my mind is churning out ideas about mines and spytech bases and whatnot.

We shall see. We shall see.

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
Rules need to be expanded. CTF rules are way too prohibitive. Just having 'reverse ctf' in general would allow more entry possibilities.

The goal of these contests is to produce a variety of good community maps, no? Otherwise we risk flooding the community as we did with 1 stage pl maps.

cornontheCoD

L420: High Member
Mar 25, 2008
Rules need to be expanded. CTF rules are way too prohibitive. Just having 'reverse ctf' in general would allow more entry possibilities.

The goal of these contests is to produce a variety of good community maps, no? Otherwise we risk flooding the community as we did with 1 stage pl maps.

True, but seeing as how the new game mode will be confusing for players, the more maps of those type we have, the more people will understand it. If we have a million variants, people will get confused even more.

Edit: F. YES. I tried using hammer in offline mode just a little while ago, and it didn't work, so I assumed it would never work in offline mode. Tried it again after you guys said it should work, and waddya know, it works! It sucks that TF2 doesn't work in offline mode, though. And I WILL NOT obtain it illegally.

Edit2: I'm sure you guys put a lot of thought into it, but is CTF really the best prefix for this new game mode? A/D and normal CTF are quite different. I know I wouldn't enter a CTF server, if I didn't know the new game mode existed.

Last edited:

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
Payload Race... CTF variant

D: :blink: :confused: :huh: :unsure: :glare: :angry: :cursing: :mad: :( :facepalm :mellow:

This is me seeing the word "CTF" then reading the rest of it, then realizing it's not regular CTF then getting pissed off since I'm working on a regular CTF map right now.

Last edited:

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
True, but seeing as how the new game mode will be confusing for players, the more maps of those type we have, the more people will understand it. If we have a million variants, people will get confused even more.

Edit: F. YES. I tried using hammer in offline mode just a little while ago, and it didn't work, so I assumed it would never work in offline mode. Tried it again after you guys said it should work, and waddya know, it works! It sucks that TF2 doesn't work in offline mode, though. And I WILL NOT obtain it illegally.

I wonder if TF2 on the orange box CD works in offline mode.

BrokenTripod

May 11, 2009
If you start TF2 online and never close it ever, it works offline after you unplug the internets.

Kind of computer-intensive.

HL2 might work, and if you really want to be insane, you could extract the TF2 .gcf into HL2 and use that to test.

But...Don't do that.

Alternatively, create a mod and extract TF2's .gcf and see if that works.

I have no idea.

MungoKing

L3: Member
Jul 12, 2008
Can't believe no one has asked this yet; Will the three sponsors' servers/communities be available for extra testing on contest entry maps?

Jan 31, 2008
Just wonder something...
Why is it called push ctf?
I mean, if one team attacks and one team defends, wouldn't that be called A/D ctf?

MungoKing

L3: Member
Jul 12, 2008
Gamer, that's hardly a map right now ;) Basically all you've got there are track layouts. Also, having the teams spawn right near each other (your stage 2) does not usually end well. (See plr_pipeline stage 3). Similarly on the final stage, for about half of the "race" the teams will not have to make any contact with each other. I'd revise some of the sketch for the actual map :)

Apr 19, 2009
Gamer, that's hardly a map right now ;) Basically all you've got there are track layouts. Also, having the teams spawn right near each other (your stage 2) does not usually end well. (See plr_pipeline stage 3). Similarly on the final stage, for about half of the "race" the teams will not have to make any contact with each other. I'd revise some of the sketch for the actual map :)
You have a point but we have 3.5 months to get this done so my plans could change in the blink of an eye. ;)

cornontheCoD

L420: High Member
Mar 25, 2008
For the CTF mode, should we use the normal capture point model for the area that you cap the flag in? I don't want people thinking that you just have to stand on the point like a normal cap.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
How long was it exactly, that the last payload contest lasted?

September - january? My point i would like to infer is that the previous 'large' competition ran atleast 4.5 months? and had an extention, and there wern't any stages, and used an experienced/tried gamemode, and still most people including myself were not able to release a worthwhile map for the deadline. There was enough time to make a map but things got messy when it came to releasing maps for play testing as most of us had to release maps before they were even ready for it (releasing alpha's for beta's makes me wanna puke). Plus, half of the submissions that actually made it were maps that were already in the works for several months prior to the contest initiation, due to a convinient selection of the game mode matching particular mappers current projects.

Stages arn't difficult to produce but they take time to balance. Time mappers don't have if they are to meet such a close deadline.. unless they are happy releasing orange maps. But then what's the point in having a full mapping contest, you might as well just have a layout design contest.

I anticipated a full mapping contest since it is, afterall, summer. But this is going to require a lot of dedication from individuals regardless of other dedications. I understand you can't cater for each individuals need and handing out custom deadlines is way over the top and complicating thing's too much.

What would seem more logical would be; to assign the majority of summer to layout, optimisation, entity setup and balance testing as people will be free-r than usual, and then allow september > christmas for detailing (detailing will require less playtesting/feedback and allow concentration on schooling, etc). Then mapping jugdement could commence late in the Christmas/New Year holidays by everyone. This way we can keep tabs on each others progress with each playtest. There could be an official contest playtest every 2 weeks to help with this, which would also get contest entrants more involved with each others works; and the frequant play testing would allow for efficient invigilating for the layout/detail transition (which is also a good promotional oppotunity for the community). Or any other invigilating requirements.

Maybe i'm over exagerating the time required to chuck out a map like this but i have a job and a dissertation to write. If i want to make this deadline it sucks that i predict i'd have to shun my social life to do that.

I can understand why this was kept mostly under wraps but it's almost offencive that there was no oppotunity for community feedback on the matter. None at all. Especially since it was obvious, due to summer, this would have been a full mapping contest anyway.

I don't mean to bitch and moan, but i have my concerns; i want this contest to be as much of a success as any of the moderators involved in it. But i do see some fear in running contests too long, which impeeds on the integrity of the contest content (a whole map). I would have thought moderators had learnt their lesson from the last competition but i can't see that they have.

Last edited:

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
/\ /\
.|..|
This

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
Yeah, the deadline worries me slightly. However, there's plenty mpre time in summer to map as compared to the fall and winter, but the issue still stands at playtesting. 3.5 months is roughly fourteen gamedays. Sounds like a lot, but then you think about it, and it really isn't. And there's no guarantee that your contest map will get a slot.

We could throw in a Wednesday evening gameday for just contest maps, that'd make 28 different opportunities to playtest. Could also give contest maps priority on Sunday gameday or something, just to allow greater opportunity for feedback.

So, the problem isn't just having time to build and detail, it's also getting enough feedback to determine what needs to be changed.