TF2M Annual Major Contest # 3

MungoKing

L3: Member
Jul 12, 2008
So, the problem isn't just having time to build and detail, it's also getting enough feedback to determine what needs to be changed.

MungoKing said:
Can't believe no one has asked this yet; Will the three sponsors' servers/communities be available for extra testing on contest entry maps?

Could solve a large amount of the issues if anyone can answer this :confused:

StoneFrog

L6: Sharp Member
May 28, 2008
It's not a "New" game mode. It's the way TFC always handled maps using Control Points. I call plagiarism! :p

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
Believe it or not, our Payload contest was only 3 and a quarter months. And as others have pointed it out, it was during Winter, Christmas, and the New Year. I think 3.5 months over Summer vacation is more than enough time.

Apr 19, 2009
Believe it or not, our Payload contest was only 3 and a quarter months. And as others have pointed it out, it was during Winter, Christmas, and the New Year. I think 3.5 months over Summer vacation is more than enough time.
It has been less than a day and my first stage is fully blocked out now! :D If I can keep up at the rate I am going to be at Final_v2 a week before the deadline. However, I much not get cocky with it!

Last edited:

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
/me is rocketed back into mapping

A/D CTF sounds AWESOME. I played some slate and was astounded by how awesomely awesome it was.

This would actually be my first foray into any kind of mapping contest here or anywhere.

To clarify: are the flag timing merely guidelines? or will they be strictly enforced?

Last edited:

StoneFrog

May 28, 2008
I may chip in as well, because I'm not particularly motivated with any of my works right now. It'd be a good refresher course for me to adhere to guidelines and see what comes out. :)

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Wait... so are the two gametypes going to be judged together, or in separate categories?

It wouldn't be fair if a map lost because the gametype didn't turn out to be as hot.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
It wouldn't be fair if a map lost because the gametype didn't turn out to be as hot.
I'm not sure if that would really even make a difference. Only one of the five criteria (balance) would have much to do with the gametype, and that is largely up to the mapper and not really something the gametype itself can sway.

StoneFrog

May 28, 2008
Wait... so are the two gametypes going to be judged together, or in separate categories?

I'm almost certain they'd be graded by separate criteria. The only way I could possibly see a crossover in judging would perhaps be aesthetics and whatnot, but even that's affected by the gametype. For instance, creating a unique environment (push CTF) is a lot different from a symmetrical, linear environment (payload race). It'll probably all be separate.

Ah, I was thinking about the popular vote
Pretty sure that'd be separate. We have some really gametype-biased folk on this forum. :p

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008

Well as i said, atleast half of the maps submited had already managed several months development before the contest was even announced, and the rest were barely out of Dev textures on submission. Although this was partly the point of that contest, dev being expected due to the short running period and school/work commitments. Plus we are talking about a single stage payload map. But i'm really only reitterating myself there. Releasing a multi stage map to the community within the alloted time may not be as big of a deal as i anticipate but i can say that people are going to find this taxing if they have any intention of producing anything complete. I just want to see maps at the end of this mapping contest. Not half baked stuff. Even if it does later get developed into a final version X months later. I just want to see a line up of complete to near complete maps on the voting table. How impressive would that be for TF2maps?

The bottom line was there didn't seem to be enough time last time and it cost the contest dearely, even if it was a self declared success. I just hope this one works out better.

Last edited:

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
Getting a model from someone else!= Collaboration, right?

RIIIGHT?

uma plata

Jan 20, 2009
Well the popular vote is supposed to abide by those five grading criteria too. Not just a "zomg wut map u lyke?!"

But I wouldn't be surprised to see some judgment along those very lines. PLR is clearly going to be the favorite among any casuals who happen along, because its new, and there is some pre-judging with CTF due to poor map selection atm

Anyway, assuming community feedback is handled like the payload contest (no votes counted without feedback), I'm sure it'll be fine

Shadowfield

L2: Junior Member
Aug 14, 2008
Hey guys. This competition looks really cool, but I was hoping for us less "ambitious" mappers if there will still be some mini-contests. Those are awesome, and give a chance to the rest of us to exercise our creativity in a different way. Maybe something like a best screenshot...

So far I've only been in one contest, the spawnroom, and I had wished I was able to do the other mini-contests. Anyways, all that to say that I love these contests, especially the mini-ones.

Good luck to everyone entering this one. I can't wait to see the results.

Bonne chance!

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

L10: Glamorous Member
Apr 12, 2008
Shadowfield: During the last contest, there was at least one mini contest (spawnroom) during the time the main event was going on. I'm sure this will be the same.