TF2 info from Gabe Newell's Reddit AMA

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
The CSGO guys said they were adding Source 2 features to CSGO rather than porting it to the new engine

So porting parts of Source 2 to TF2 is probably a lot simpler than porting all of TF2 to Source 2

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
The CSGO guys said they were adding Source 2 features to CSGO rather than porting it to the new engine

So porting parts of Source 2 to TF2 is probably a lot simpler than porting all of TF2 to Source 2

CSGO's engine is also considerably closer to Source 2, than TF2. CSGO is like, Source 1.75, TF2 is solidly source 1.1. That .65 is a VERY big difference.

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
Would that not just mean that porting TF2 would be an even bigger undertaking?

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
Would that not just mean that porting TF2 would be an even bigger undertaking?

It means that some of the features of Source 2 would need far more work to get working on the TF engine branch, than the CSGO engine branch. Potentially the same amount of work as an engine port. If thats the case, why stay on Source 1, when you could go to Source 2 for the same, or less amount of work?

Lopez

L1: Registered
Mar 26, 2014
They aren't porting TF2 to Source 2 it would not be anywhere NEAR feasible

I really hope they don't port it to Source 2...

There are a huge number of bugs in Source 1 that are alot of fun to exploit when rocket jumping, and they probably wouldn't exist in Source 2.

Speedshots, bounces, bouncehops, jumpbugs, wallbugs, edgebugs, headbugs... jumping wouldn't be the same without any of these

Hyperion

L16: Grid Member
aa
Jun 8, 2015
I really hope they don't port it to Source 2...

There are a huge number of bugs in Source 1 that are alot of fun to exploit when rocket jumping, and they probably wouldn't exist in Source 2.

Speedshots, bounces, bouncehops, jumpbugs, wallbugs, edgebugs, headbugs... jumping wouldn't be the same without any of these
Source 2 implementations would be solely performance and visual quality

Benoist3012

L3: Member
Dec 25, 2015
They aren't porting TF2 to Source 2 it would not be anywhere NEAR feasible

TF2 port to Source 2 isn't an "impossible dream", most of AI (bots) code can be ported, the path navigation building would have to be redone if source 2 nav differs a lot from source 1.
If they have a bsp converter for old maps, that means they didn't change how the base entity code is made, or at least not that much, which means most of gamemodes code can also be ported without any major problems, since their logic is purely unconnected to the engine it just needs values to process what their logic is, the entities used to "link" the maps between them and the gamemode can be remade, I'll go straight to the point, gamemodes entities are just useless, it's only there to provide the basic infos to the gamemode logic that is completely executed somewhere else.
You must keep in mind source 2 only provides """basic""" environment, with a set of tools, it handles physics, lightning, literally the world, and doesn't affect (at least not directly) entities.
And as i said earlier if they have a bsp converter as someone said, that means the base code used to build any entities code didn't really change, or just a bit, and I'm ready to bet, a tiny entity like (path_track) https://github.com/alliedmodders/hl...ec7ba3a28ade3512560/game/server/pathtrack.cpp
can be re-implemented in source 2 in a small amount of time maybe 1 to 2 days (probably less).

What makes TF2 in my opinion unable to go on source 2, is its amount of code, and that for any big games, the bigger a game code is the longer it will take to port, because you will have to replace some portion of code in every files with the new "tools" given by Source 2.
And everyone knows that time is money, so they must ask themselves that question "is it worth it?", and if it's not worth it, then there are no reasons to bother about it.
I'll talk from my own experience with Slender Fortress, the sourcemod dev team decided to move the plugin code syntax to a new one, so see that code syntax as a new engine. And that new plugin code syntax was providing some cool stuff and improvements, that i really wanted to use in Slender Fortress code, so I ported all its code to new syntax (https://github.com/Benoist3012/Slen...mmit/c03630a91d331aef3f8f37874811bc5a8f26106d)
And it took me 3 days (when I had free time), to change 4k lines of codes (nothing compared to TF2), "Showing 19 changed files with 3,880 additions and 3,991 deletions.".
And I changed the syntax because it was worth it, if it wasn't, I wouldn't have bothered at all.

Anyway all of that big text not to say you were wrong, that they aren't porting tf2 to source 2, because I agree they aren't, I just made that text because your argument isn't right, if it wasn't "feasible" then oh boy we would do nothing nowadays, the main factor is time, are they ready to spend that much time porting tf2, because there's absolutely nothing assuring them that it's worth it. And time spent porting tf2 to source 2 is time not spent to make content for tf2 (i.e players loss).
You argument comes more in like 4th place on the porting list, TF2 maybe has a messy code, and reorganize it, and make it clear to start future work on source 2 would take a lot of time, and that time just feeds up the first argument.

Recreating the Team Fortress game would actually sounds better, but again I'm not even sure they think it's worth it.

obodobear

L4: Comfortable Member
Mar 15, 2016
Glad to see they are planning on communicating their balance changes beforehand, so we don't get another broken buff like the phlog last year

obodobear

L4: Comfortable Member
Mar 15, 2016
tbh I just really want the old cladelegeheg mor back, and a reworked volcano fragment/pocket pistol

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
Has anyone considered that "we want our active games to be on source 2" might not mean "we want to put tf2 on source 2" but might mean "we don't care if tf2 is our active game".

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH TF2 IS GOING TO DIE AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH TF2 IS GOING TO DIE AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I did specifically moderate my language to avoid this reaction but, well, yeah. Idolon's made much smarter points about this in the past, (which i didn't see before i made a flippant post, sorry) but lets be real, at some point valve will ship the Last Update, then close down their servers, and leave TF2 to it's own devices.

Last edited:

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
I did specifically moderate my language to avoid this reaction but, well, yeah. Idolon's made much smarter points about this in the past, (which i didn't see before i made a flippant post, sorry) but lets be real, at some point valve will ship the Last Update, then close down their servers, and leave TF2 to it's own devices.

I still stand by the belief that the "official" updates will end eventually (ie 2 years), and then the game will run off the community contribution model for a few years. With a Valve Skeleton crew.

Also, your language was fine, I was making it to be pedantic

Svode

Take a Chance on Me
aa
Jul 31, 2016
Even if TF2 doesn't get ported; it may still be supported/tended.

The TF2 community in its current state loves TF2 so much that death to it in its entirety isn't likely.

Dec 28, 2014
Even if TF2 doesn't get ported; it may still be supported/tended.

The TF2 community in its current state loves TF2 so much that death to it in its entirety isn't likely.

Also when a game has an economy that links to other in game economies you can't drop support for it without hurting the economies in the other games.