Team Fortress 2 Update Released

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
Well EOTL was also supposed to be neato and that didn't turn out to well did it...

If neato in Valve terms means "more fugly worthless weapon skins and no update testing so that game craps the bed and it takes more than a year to fix it" then yes, it's neato.

Your relentless negativity makes me really weary.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Your relentless negativity makes me really weary.
Negativity? I'd call it staying realistic. It's working so far. Keeps me from being disappointed because people overhype everything nowadays. EotL learned many people that same lesson.

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
Negativity? I'd call it staying realistic. It's working so far. Keeps me from being disappointed because people overhype everything nowadays. EotL learned many people that same lesson.

Well, the rest of us call it negativity. It's so wearing. It seems like all you do is shit on valve and shit on the game. We get it. We got it a long time ago. This isn't a terribly hype-y place anyway, and its so tiring to see this drip-drip-drip of negativity in every update thread.

FrostyHoneyJuicy

L3: Member
Jun 12, 2014
Well EOTL was also supposed to be neato and that didn't turn out to well did it...

If neato in Valve terms means "more fugly worthless weapon skins and no update testing so that game craps the bed and it takes more than a year to fix it" then yes, it's neato.
Well that was a thing of the past! Now, a lot of people actually see that Valve actually does care about TF2.
Don't you remember how b4nny was excited when he posted those tweets after being in Valve's HQ?

Imho, I really doubt that Valve will let TF2 to rot, again. They already recieved enough hate (especially during the times like EOTL) and I really doubt that they wanna see another train of hate again.

To remember things, Gun Mettle, Tough Break and Invasion were only the 3 updates that introduced the re-skins. I would understand your negativity if they released like 10 of them. That would be a thing.

Also, if you remember, before the Halloween, Valve told us that they had a little time for developing another Halloween update. So instead, they introduced another Community update. Same thing happened during the Tough Break. They just didn't have enough time to make something.

Imo, making new textures for an experienced Valve worker shouldn't be really that hard & time consuming to make some new re-skins. (I am just saying!)

Valve already surprised us during the Conga, Contract & Halloween updates. You may never know what else they might release!

Just please wait Vel0. We really don't wanna complain about anything!

Jekyllson

L3: Member
Jun 20, 2015

End of the Line promised cosmetics, a terrific SFM, and a new map. We got cosmetics, a terrific SFM, a new taunt, and the coolest-looking action item of all time. It was disappointing that Valve decided to pull Snowplow at the last minute, but as long as you kept your expectations reasonable, it wasn't nearly the massive disappointment that everyone makes it out to be.

There's a difference between keeping your expectations reasonable and keeping them dirt low. For example, I expect Valve to release an update in the next week that brings competitive 6v6 matchmaking out of beta, possibly with a small cost to buy in, as well as a good number of weapon changes with varying degrees of success, maybe a new taunt, probably the release of a community-made map or a map brought out of beta, probably the addition of the new PASS Time map that the devs have teased, and the introduction of a summer-long campaign with a unique theme (matchmaking, Robot Destruction, Alternative maps, etc.) that helps it stand out from previous contract campaigns. Valve will probably surpass these reasonable expectations in some way or another, but even if not every one of them is met, I'll still enjoy the update for what it is.

Yes, expectations for an update should be handled appropriately, but in my opinion, hyping an update out of the moon is only slightly less "appropriate" than expecting the absolute worst possible update every time. When I go to a decent restaurant, I don't always assume that the food will be burnt to a crisp; I assume it'll be a decent meal, and handle any fallout like an adult.

Sevin.avi

L1: Registered
Jun 23, 2016
2 Ways this update could go...

1) Hats, comp, contracts, skins, taunts, maps and MAYBE new weapons.

2) 3 new hats

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
also apparently beta passes are dropping again which makes me think MM won't be for a while

after all, why give out passes if theyre about to take them away again

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
As long as the current weapons get balanced enough to make the UP ones usable (Sharpened Volcano Fragment, Baby Face's Blaster, Axtinguisher, etc) and the OP ones, well, not OP (stock Rocket Launcher, Darwin's Danger Shield), no new weapons is fine. Not for ever though, you can't just rebalance the same weapons over and over ever 2-3 months (assuming Valve steps off of this 6-month balance cycle which is like 2x too long to begin with).

also apparently beta passes are dropping again which makes me think MM won't be for a while

after all, why give out passes if theyre about to take them away again
Yeah, I got 2 beta passes just now. Dunno how though, haven't played the MM beta since oh I don't know, February?

Also, apparently only 6v6 comes out of beta first, which leaves 9v9 in the cold. That needs to be tested as well at some point.

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
they come in waves, valve hits a button and all comp passes generate an invite, the last wave was a good while ago

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
It's funny. I looked trough my server history and it listed Matchmaking servers. That is, 32-player Matchmaking servers. The max Valve gave us so far has always been 24.