Stoneyridge

CP stoneyridge rc2

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I think I'm missing something; did you somehow forget to compile the 3D skybox? It's missing from those screenshots.

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
Yes, it's a cordon compile. The vis is long enough these days I have to divide the map into chunks to get work done in any reasonable amount of time.

At least in this case, the skybox was irrelevant for what I was working on.

heyyou

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 19, 2009
Ok, we're back with an update - B9. Download updated on OP and below for you're clicking pleasures:

We had a couple of minor setback with B8 - the new opening facing B was having complaints so we changed that up and fixed the issues we had with purple squares due to the inclusion of HDR lighting, so we fixed that thanks to this informative post (for future internet searchers). We decided to jump to B9 and also fix up a bunch of issues we discovered in testing.

We also included a major lighting overhaul in the very first section by Blu's spawn. Let us know your thoughts.

Version B9 Changelog -
-Major lighting overhaul to the first section in front of Blu's first spawn
-Tweaked lighting throughout map
-Fixed various clipping issues
-Added opening screen pictures
-Lowered height of the trigger box on A
-Further optimization
-Fixed cubemap issue due to the addition of HDR lighting
-Changed the design of the top platform area facing B
-Tweaked/changed various overlays
-Fixed various errors
-Changed windows of the tunnel bridge going from Blu's spawn to A
-Adjusted various props

Last edited:

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
Everyone loves screenshots, right?

E7C940A80838A4486DA91323C8B59C629AD80E09

3C29038DB27BFED21121CFC33FF311A05BEB896A

AEBA2224141AAAA0D62FFBE0BB6136834FFA40AA

B69137D70BAD74B1877E27E8796492B9D2EBAE0A

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
I spy a barn with concrete walls. That looks very wrong to me.

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
There are no barns on the map, so I'm not sure what you're referring to.

The "theme" of the map is a weapons factory with a lot of construction going on.

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
Oh, that. I guess it looks like a barn from that angle.

It's more like a carport when you see it from the ground.

The blue texture has never sat well with me, but no one's ever complained about it so I figured there was more important stuff to worry about.

Bereth

Dec 13, 2011
The brick building in the second screenshot bends out at a weird angle. Can't say I've ever noticed it while playing the map (it might be new, or just not noticeable), but if there is a static spectator camera position which faces form an external angle (like the screenshot) you probably want to change it.

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
No, players can't get out that far. It's clipped off and func_hurted before you can get out there. I was just cruising around in noclip and thought it looked kind of neat.

It looks pretty reasonable from spots where players can reasonably get a view of it.. it's always been one of my favorite parts of the map. Other parts are improving as I figure out the lighting better, but I still like looking out at that area.

My only real complaint is we probably should have rotated the map 180 degrees so the moonlight falls on the cliff.. but I think it's too late for that now. I like to think I fixed it up nicely with some moon-colored spot lights.

Last edited:

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
I found a problem with a poorly placed viscluster brush (which would make it my fault since I was the last one who was messing with them, but my excuse is I was putting them back because Crash was wondering why I erased his visclusters) that causes the entire map to be rendered when you stand at a certain spot.

It only happens standing on/near the concrete pipes near BLU's initial spawn, so while it is annoying, it doesn't completely break the map.

Lesson learned: always test what you mess around with, kids.

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
Oh, that. I guess it looks like a barn from that angle.

It's more like a carport when you see it from the ground.

The blue texture has never sat well with me, but no one's ever complained about it so I figured there was more important stuff to worry about.

I would recommend changing it to metal sheeting, making the walls half as thick as they are now, and adding metal/ibeam001b supports inside, so it looks more like a "shack" as the roof suggests.

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
Yeah, now that someone's brought it up we'll have a chat about it. In some ways, I like the texture. It adds some color to the area. In others, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

It could also conceivably be turned into more of a guard house, as it's the only road based access for the entire map. Which most players don't care about when they're trying to kill each other, but it's nice to have continuity.

(don't ask how many times I've considered building a road away from blue spawn so the dump truck in the spawn room has someplace to go)

heyyou

Aug 19, 2009
Couple more recent screens for B9:
3E013412EB510B4A608FC6A9E4998FA4FB60E0BF

5D6C958B3C7882A0EFC7EEABAF6A2BEBFDAFCF4C

Also updated the OP with a couple of screens. We are going to put B9 trough some stress test so we will be testing as frequently as possible - so keep an eye out for it in future test. Thanks for the feedback.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Stole the map from Xzzy earlier to fix the issues brought up by the TF2Xploits crew. Tons of thanks to them, they found some pretty obscure clipping issues, I have no idea how they managed to find some of them.

I'm happy to say we didn't have any major issues though, just a few ledges and lips that shouldn't have been there. No real map breakers!

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Okay. Here we go. Sorry for the long delay, I got busy with school and other social/life things. But here ya are.

This looks silly. Dunno how to fix it, but do something different.
cp_stoneyridge_b80000.jpg

Lighting density here is too high. Ceiling lights are okay, but you should make the spots on the bottom smaller (use smaller models), and use spots with a 15-20 inner angle and a 60-65 wide angel.
cp_stoneyridge_b80001.jpg

You want this to be a semi-effective flanking route, so make this light a bit darker so it doesn't stand out as much. This gives blu a chance to actually sneak up, without red really knowing its there.
cp_stoneyridge_b80002.jpg

The security lights in the upper left aren't really needed. You should either center them in a way so that they shine in both directions (but not really favor one side) or use a different lighting scheme to note players can go either way.
cp_stoneyridge_b80003.jpg

The model is really bright, doesn't fully fit the artstyle (imo). You should have more grungy colors, and brush strokes.
cp_stoneyridge_b80004.jpg

This doorway should be light up a bit more to note it is there.
cp_stoneyridge_b80006.jpg

You should be using spot light models, not these security light models if you are going to be doing high-powered spot lights.
cp_stoneyridge_b80007.jpg

This is really weirdly high up. It seems okay, but the fact it is off-center of the door is strange. Suggestion: Lower it a bit, maybe center on the door.
cp_stoneyridge_b80008.jpg

Little thought: maybe use colored lights in here (or dimmer lights) to note that this isn't a gameplay zone.
cp_stoneyridge_b80009.jpg

LIght it up a little bit (both spots)
cp_stoneyridge_b80010.jpg

cp_stoneyridge_b80011.jpg

Not sure on this, but maybe rotate this light a little so that the doorway/ramp is illuminated a tad more. or maybe add something to draw players eyes there.
cp_stoneyridge_b80012.jpg

This seems weird, if you are going to be directing players, the light should either be more into the route a little, or pointing in the direction of the route.
cp_stoneyridge_b80013.jpg

Don't know how really needed it is, but lighting this up a smidgen won't hurt. (I don't know how often this flank is used. If it isn't used, then I wouldn't worry. But if it is important, or people use it a lot, I think some light on these would be good.
cp_stoneyridge_b80014.jpg

+1 for using this prop like this
cp_stoneyridge_b80015.jpg

And thats about it. I think the map, from what I can tell, shouldn't be too bad really. It seems like you guys put a lot of work into the map and it shows. If you need me, you know where I am.

I am watching

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
You know, I've been cutting and pasting that security light for so long, I forgot there even was a spotlight model available in the game.

Thanks for the tips, some of what you suggested has already been done before you even posted.. which is still helpful, because it means I'm working in the right direction.

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
Little thought: maybe use colored lights in here (or dimmer lights) to note that this isn't a gameplay zone.
cp_stoneyridge_b80009.jpg

I recommend losing the sprites at the very least. Even for the amount of light they're already casting, such a high amount of bloom is unrealistic.