Stoneyridge

CP stoneyridge rc2

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
that is probably best.

... I also just realized (sorry it is 2am, and I was just rudely awoken by loud music from a neightboring apartment) that we played an older version...

If you want to pm me when you get the next version out, feel free to PM me it and I'll take a run-around. I'll make you guys one of my super-analysis posts if you'd like. (Lighting, gameplay, details... the whole shebang)

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
That would be greatly appreciated. It should be sometime before the weekend, I would say.

I'll make sure to address as much of the feedback you guys just left before the next version, there were some good points in there.

edit: And it looks like you played b7, which is our newest release out there, so no worries.

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
I'll be honest, I'm not 100% thrilled with the lighting, So when I get a chance I'll run through and highlight what you might be able to improve on.

Without going into specifics, what are you generally seeing? Too dark? Too uneven? Too random?

The lighting hasn't had much hard critique beyond people commenting on shadowy corners or whatever.

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
Yeah, I've had this strange compulsion to only add light sources that actually exist in the game world. In a few spots I've been able to break myself from the habit but there's not many of them. Part of the problem is I've spent so much time staring at it, I think it's hurt my ability to gauge whether anything is good or bad.

Then there's the issue of going into it with a mental image of how I want it to look, and being unable to convince the game's lights to replicate that.

Will be sure to send a note when the next beta is released, thanks.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
So... my computer is in a window with shitty blinds, which means maps always seem a bit darker on my monitor than they actually are (if I am playing in daylight, that is). I found your map brighter than expected, but the lighting was really flat. If anything I would work more on cues.

heyyou

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 19, 2009
So... my computer is in a window with shitty blinds, which means maps always seem a bit darker on my monitor than they actually are (if I am playing in daylight, that is). I found your map brighter than expected, but the lighting was really flat. If anything I would work more on cues.

That's funny. I have the same problem. I'll play a map during the day and I can't see anything on most maps - I play at night and everything looks fine.

B8 is a step in the right direction for lighting and it should help us hone in on the perfect balance of lighting a little more. Progress.

Edit: Also, Littleboots is making some progress on the explosion. It won't make it into this version but we are aiming to pop it in the version after B8.

Last edited:

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
Yeah, B8 is the first release where I've put real effort into cues. It's pretty rough in my opinion but maybe it'll get the process going in the right direction.

It's not easy going though.. I find myself fighting the map geometry a lot.

I'm itching to fix it but think it's best if I wait until B8 is out and I get some opinions in.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
I really like this shot.

C189EC1A5E72DD7066A013BA06FEF4F7768991EC

heyyou

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 19, 2009
Just released B8 on the opening page and below:
Edit: Removed - found cubemap error.

B9 coming by the end of the weekend.

Edit: I'll probably change my section of the change log below and post a little more about this version at a later point. Too tired tonight.

Last edited:

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Just to get the changelog on the last page:

Version B8 -
Hey You changes:
-Moved stairs in overlook by A
-Removed stairs by building by ridge, opened up building
-Updated various details
-Added small room on downstairs passage from A to B
-Updated various overlays
-Changed various textures
-Made small changes to the skybox
-Fixed various props disappearing
-Further optimization
-Extended blue attack ledge facing A
-Moved/changed various props
-Updated ledge behind B
-Moved main death-cam
-Updated detailing to ledge facing B used by Blue attackers
-Replaced props by ledge by cellar door ramp

Xzzy changes:
-Increased over-all ambient lighting.
-Tweaked a ton lighting, brightened up some areas, added some spotlights to key areas.
-Went through and deleted/ changed a large amount of props to help optimization.
-Added "skybox windows" ala Viaduct to clean up look of map.
-Optimized hint brushes.
-Cleaned up areaportals/ added a bunch of areaportalwindows.
-Tweaked some clipping.

Crash Changes:
-Added large detail area and cubby in building by ridge to open it up more.
-Added an easter egg.
-Added ramp coming down from ridge building dropdown to reduce chance of fall damage.
-Fixed rockets and projectiles going through the floor on the final point, also smoothed the floor out more there.
-Optimization tweaks
-Tons of brush optimization all over the map.
-Cleaned up some more clipping issues. (Including 2 game breakers no one noticed, heh)
-Added a nobuild to the tracks in the death pit. Before, you could get engineer buildings down there if you timed it right as you fell.
-Removed the clipping that made the edge of the death pit and the balcony area divided. (this is a fun change)
-Tons of prop fades.
-Cleaned up jagged detail bricks at final point area.
-Added "signature" poster.
-Improved the flow of the tire jump on the left side of the B cap tower.
-Added custom safe-door model.
-Detailed overhang towards B alongside Hey You

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
I'm pretty sure my main job, other than lighting, is deleting all the stuff the other two try to sneak in.

I think they're on to me though, because now they add two props where they used to add just one, and I only tend to reduce props by 50%.

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
B8 isn't even barely out of the oven and I've already begun a lighting overhaul for what will probably be a B9. Yes, I'm a terrible person.

B8:
E0F2A2E3F43A046DCB436272D1A85D15A58A8632

B9:
1A16D42DBC291D328B8A05A2C00C0B0334E9A8AC

B8:
F4AFDF41F612A5A8FF41995B8A54A6EE0DDF7463

B9:
2036A616D42E7361C6D6A9091C8BB33362172504

Good? Bad?

Mar 23, 2010
good