Stoneyridge

CP stoneyridge rc2

heyyou

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 19, 2009
That site is cracking me up. Its so funny, how bad the site matched the video to the news story and a little funny how the YouTube author got me confused with Heyo (also this has been a group project.)

But, I completely understand the confusion. I've always wished I would have picked another name, after I realized there was a Heyo, Hey You (myself), and a You me, that were all level designers for TF2.

Last edited:

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
We should be releasing version B10 soon* with a bunch of tweaks to the map. I tried to improve optimization around A a ton, so hopefully that should improve some players FPS while standing on the point.

Learned some new tricks for checking clipping, and I feel like that aspect is just about complete. I'm sure I'll find 10 more fixes before next update anyway though.

A few experimental things are going to get tossed in as well, so we'll see how they play out.

*Valve time

Melvin D Engineere

Feb 25, 2012

So that's where all the youtube traffic to my video was coming from! I was looking at my video's analytics, and it revealed firstpost.com as the biggest source of the views.

That site is cracking me up. Its so funny, how bad the site matched the video to the news story and a little funny how the YouTube author got me confused with Heyo (also this has been a group project.)

But, I completely understand the confusion. I've always wished I would have picked another name, after I realized there was a Heyo, Hey You (myself), and a You me, that were all level designers for TF2.

:blushing:Yeah...I'm that youtuber. Sorry for the mix up. All this attention because I used the word "Egypt" in the video description, and firstpost.com picked that word up. Even other youtubers were noticing the quirk.

"...It also says Hey You made Harvest and Egypt. :lol:"

I've already corrected the video description about a week ago.

Last edited:

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
I have uncovered definitive proof that Crash is permanently drunk.

doh.jpg

heyyou

Aug 19, 2009
Every time I see Crash he has an IV hooked up to his arm running from a 40oz of Old E. jkjk

In all seriousness though, B10 and a full change log is on it's way - possibly as early as sometime this weekend.

heyyou

Aug 19, 2009
B10 is complete. We've got some good stuff packed in this one. Below is the download and change log - OP has also been updated. Let us know how it plays with the changes. Thanks everyone.

Download - cp_stoneyridge_b10

Version B10 -
-Redesigned previous blue barn in front of blue begining spawn
-Further optimized map, especially around A
-Added two seconds to Red respawn time
-Added new blue forward spawn entrance
-Now takes two seconds longer (for a scout) to cap A
-Redesigned covered area looking over B - now larger, better for sentry spots
-Added railing for area going up to the back end of B
-Updated construction area behind A
-Raised back wall in Rocket Room (by B) to allow for better teleporter placement for Red
-Changed small health to medium in Blue upper staging area going to B
-Added medium ammo and small health to new sentry area facing B
-Lowered ammo from full to medium next to area coming out of the front of Red spawn
-Cleaned up ridge
-Blue now spawn slightly farther away from B in blue forward spawn
-Updated lighting all over map
-Deleted any unneccary props
-Updated prop fade distance for many props
-Fixed random displacement problems
-Altered various props and overlays
-Cleaned up brush work and detailing around map
-Made slight changes to skybox
-Changed load screen image

BTW, No explosion in B10 but, it's coming in the next version, which we're hoping will be the final. If you are interested in following the bomb progress, we'll be sneaking peaks of the progress on the Stoneyridge Facebook page.

Last edited:

MetalKev

L2: Junior Member
Mar 5, 2012
So after the testing today there was a lot of noise about B, and engineers there specifically.
As an engie main, while it initially frustrated me I think the point works pretty well for engineers, just in a different way. I don't think there are any good spots for engies that cover the point but there were a few spots that were really powerful that covered the best flanking routes and shut them down entirely. I think if a team is smart enough to have an engieer lock down the flanks and have damage classes cover the point then B is a challenging but balanced position for a final point. Last I remember playing this a few versions ago, and it seemed A was harder to cap than B but this isn't the case anymore. I think I like this map a fair amount better than gorge right now.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Yeah I think there is a bit of a learning curve for engies on this map. It's definitely pretty hostile for them, but entirely possible to lock down around the area with a couple teamed up together.

We'll see with more testing though.

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
As someone who plays a lot of soldier and demo, i found it super easy to destroy any sentry nest defending the actual point, the balcony right next to B let's me outrange any sentry (It has been like this pretty much long as i can remember)

Only reason MetalKev's nest didn't get utterly destroyed that last round during test, was fact blu demoman didn't even know that balcony exsisted and was wandering around the bottom area most of the round.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
The last round I was running Engy and I had a sentry set up behind the point that survived until the end. I think there was maybe one spot that it could be spammed from, but you'd pretty much have to be standing right next to the control point to do it. The other engy had one set up overlooking the rocket room, covering that flank. This is the best set up that I've seen for the final point.

That said, we're going to have a serious sit down with our mapping crew and analyze sentry spots.

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
Analyze to what end? I've been feeling pretty good about the sentry options the past few releases. There are spots where you can set up a sentry and it's relatively protected from long range spam, at the cost of ability to cover the point entirely. Or there's spots that can cover the CP entirely, but the sentry is extremely vulnerable to long range attacks.

I would have thought this is the perfect mix, allowing engineers to do their job without grinding the map to a halt.

There are a couple extremely powerful sentry build points, the halls between A and B can be really tough to crack without an uber, and the staging area just before point A can be pretty tough too if the defending team sets up quickly enough.

Gorge is pretty similar when you sit and think about it for a while. I think this is a good evolution of TF2 maps, early on in TF2's life most maps had nooks and blind corners that allowed sentries near invulnerability and this was extremely frustrating to play against (see: goldrush and dustbowl).

Newer maps are much better about forcing the engineer to rely on his team for defensive support, and I think this is a healthy evolution.