Sacrifice

ARENA Sacrifice a9

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
I've left a few disjointed comments during tests of this map and I figure I should collect them all together and put them where they're useful.

Some parts of the gamemode are fun and interesting but, even when explained, some others just seem unintuitive.

Sacrificing yourself to revive your team makes sense and feels like a good trade, but sacrificing yourself to cap (a secondary goal) feels counter-intuitive to a gamemode that focuses on survival.

Originally I misunderstood the gamemode based on this and thought that the secondary goal was simply to be in posession of all 4 flags, which frankly made a lot more sense.
It made sacrificing the flag to revive your team feel like more of an important decision, it made keeping your team alive (since you would need 4 living players to win) more important than it already was, and it meant that you didnt need to kill yourself to reverse the opposing team's progress.
(It also eliminates the problem of getting confused as to which flags are already capped but that's easily fixed in other ways)

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Alpha 7 released - 30/10/15
  • Fixed broken voicelines
  • Slight layout changes
@Yrr During the 2nd test of _a6 it was brought to my attention that the voicelines were not actually playing. Despite saying there were voicelines during the first time _a6 was played no one told me that they couldn't hear them.
Not knowing other players couldn't hear the voicelines explains why everyone was so aggressively confused during that playtest. It also explains why they were focusing on the flags rather than killing the enemy team

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Alpha 8 released - 16/11/15
  • Utilized standard Arena mode game code:
    • Firstblood crits
    • Class swapping at round start
    • Newly connected players wait for even team sizes
    • Player counter on the HUD
  • Added last man standing voice lines
  • Added idol voicelines

Read the rest of this update entry...

Last edited:

dildoughy

L1: Registered
Dec 19, 2015
Yep

This has the added bonus of those pesky scouts who cap then run straight back to cap again, can't do the second part. They get to cap, and then they're dead.

It also removes the bonus from capping quickly. There's no point being the first person to cap if no one on your team is dead yet. Sure a quick cap when you need it is useful but it doesn't make it feel like the only class worth playing is scout.

The strategem we've been using is heading right for all four caps if safe, then just holding on to the intel and playing it arena-style. When low on health/lost team members, you're ready to jump in and you're withholding the option to resurrect from the other team. Oh God I love this frickin' map.

dildoughy

L1: Registered
Dec 19, 2015
We run this very frequently on our 24-man server. It's not on the stock rotation but ask any admin and they should be able to switch to arena_sacrifice after the current round ends. When I started the server, people were OBSESSED with this map. It unlocks and meshes together several gameplay methods, leaving you multiple strategies to win. Spread out rapidly to gain possession of all four intel cases and jump into the pit to 'cap'...ignore the pit and just battle it out...or use the sacrifice mechanism cleverly to suddenly bring back your entire team full health after whittling the enemy down to one or two injured survivors.

The dev textures are great (finished product maybe could be just as sparse and pale, but a little slicker?) and to be honest the voice acting/background chatter never stops entertaining me. Below is the link to our server...if the admins online aren't helpful (my name is 'dad' and I'll have an admin tag), just message me here.

Short vid of Sacrifice gameplay, though the players were too new to make use of the suicide pit. They did, however, understand that holding onto the intel 'just in case' was a good plan, even if they didn't plan on capping that way (very slightly R-rated language): www.twitch.tv/dildoughy/v/30745966

Server IP: doughpalace.game.nfoservers.com:27015

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Ah I didn't see a description, I guess I'm less used to twitch than youtube!

Anyway, this post..
filledwithdetermination.JPG