Problem with forcefeilds

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by SmallBiscuit, Apr 2, 2017.

1. SmallBiscuit

SmallBiscuit L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    So, I keep having this feedback show up on my map:
    Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 6.28.07 PM.png
    This has been slightly frustrating, and not because the feedback is bad and useless (which it isn't), but because I have no idea how to fix it...

To give you an idea of what exactly this is, here is a screenshot from A6 (I couldn't find a recent screenshot from A10, and am completely to lazy to go in and get the screenshot myself...)
    koth_turningtest_a60002.jpg

Now, I have come up with two solutions to this problem...

1) Remove the barriers
    I don't want to do this, as the entire point of the barriers is for some sort of an "immersion" to basically state that this is the barrier between a breathable environment and the harsh landscape of an asteroid...
    So basically, I don't want to do this...

2) Figure out a way to make the player know that they can just waltz on through this barrier...
    But how the hell do I do that? Please, tell me...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yabayabayaba

Yabayabayaba L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    something moving through the force field would be a clear indication, or perhaps even an arrow on the floor that passes through the field, indicating you should move through it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. SmallBiscuit

Positive Ratings:
    Had not thought of that, that might be exactly what I'm looking for!

4. Turnip

aa Turnip The 80s Vegetable

Positive Ratings:
    Perhaps a custom sign with text that literally explains the purpose of it?
    Like how certain flanks on pl_snowycoast have signs to indicate when they open

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. SmallBiscuit

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, I was throwing that idea around, but I don't know how to make custom overlays, and I currently don't have enough refined lying around to pay anyone to make it for me...

6. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    Make it a non-solid func_brush and have the render mode set to some sort of flickering or fade?

And I don't mind making a custom overlay, it'd be rather simple. Would have to work out what you'd want it to say/explain though.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  7. fubarFX

aa fubarFX The "raw" in "nodraw"

Positive Ratings:
    Your current design is somewhat flawed.
    exagons are cool, but they visually relate very closely to something like a chain link fence. Try figuring something else you can do for a force field, but be smart about it. you need to send the right signal. here's some suggestions:

-Have the texture be animated, make something that looks mobile, as opposed to just hexagons standing in your way. Scan lines would probably work and fit the tf2 aesthetic, but go on an explore what works best.

-The texture should also be more transparent near the middle, maybe invisible even. you'll still get a sense of barrier even if only the outline is visible.

-You'd probably benefit a lot from having the area detailed as something that people usually navigate. could be as simple as an opened blast door with a walkway, marking the area as an entrance.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. SmallBiscuit

Positive Ratings:
    It IS a mobile texture
    It's pretty transparent in most places...
    That will come in the beta stages...

9. BigfootBeto

aa BigfootBeto Too obsessed with perfection

Positive Ratings:
    Or just do something like what Star Wars does

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. [Rx.] Christian Troy

[Rx.] Christian Troy L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    That has helped more times than you can imagine on my maps. A simple arrow on the floor, walls, etc. seems to get players attention to let them know there is a place they can go to or even to point at an object that has a function. ;)

11. Diva Dan

aa Diva Dan hello!

Positive Ratings:
    Do something as simple as having a prop half-way through it, as if it was never there, like a little rock from asteroid or a beer bottle

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. SmallBiscuit

Positive Ratings:
    Thats probably the LEAST complicated one... I like it!

13. MegapiemanPHD

aa MegapiemanPHD Doctorate in Deliciousness

Positive Ratings:
    You could just put an exit sign above it so people know it's an exit.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    You remember Hydro used a really low barrier as a map border, via showing there is nothing interesting behind it? You can do the opposite, as in clearly show that behind is a gameplay area. Might be not enough, but suggested arrow through is an excellent idea as well. This might be done at beta the best, and I don't think an alpha would suffer without them.

15. Diva Dan

aa Diva Dan hello!

Positive Ratings:
    I mean, it's pretty obvious there's gameplay stuff behind it. Looking from the inside outward you see a control point, and looking from the outside onward you see pickups.

16. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    Making it fully transparent in the middle, probably by use of a displacement blend like Fubar suggested would be my suggested solution as well.

17. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    Alternatively, use something obviously ethereal and nonsolid - something like Portal's Fizzlers.

18. AsG_Alligator

aa AsG_Alligator trigger_hiss

Positive Ratings:
    I think there are unused airlock particles from asteroid that are very similar.