Meet Your Winner: PYRO!

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I'm one of those miserable sods who thinks Valve should try to make things behave in a more logical, predictable manner as long as it doesn't mess with the balance, so if they're looking for a way to make afterburn more effective without just buffing it, they could kill both birds with one stone by removing the "healing also extinguishes you" feature.

They also really need to fix the Backburner's angle detection. I don't know what they do right now, whether players have a separate hitbox for the back quarter or if they just calculate the relative angles you're facing, but either way it's horribly unreliable.

Tumby

aa
May 12, 2013
They also really need to fix the Backburner's angle detection. I don't know what they do right now, whether players have a separate hitbox for the back quarter or if they just calculate the relative angles you're facing, but either way it's horribly unreliable.
It works identical to backstabbing, except that the cone is only 90° instead of 180°.

leprecan

L2: Junior Member
Feb 10, 2013
It works identical to backstabbing, except that the cone is only 90° instead of 180°.

Well in the very least Spy uses melee hitscan and even that gets weird with lag compensated trickstabs, the 90° angle gets really weird once you consider the Backburner's particles have travel time and emanate from the Pyro's face outward in a cone ish shape. Particles need a fix for lag compensation or to be made hitscan for the Backburner to work consistently. If the angle increased, you might crit more often but it would still be inconsistent in a lot of cases.

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
well I kinda figured that but I don't know how that works either

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
You know, I wanted to say a thing, but @Muddy 's post pretty much summed it up.

Lain

lobotomy success story
aa
Jan 8, 2015
This is what happens when you don't explain what the vote means, half of my friendlist thinks that it means who they like better.

It shouldn't have been up to the community (a community based around 10-15 year olds) to vote on which class finally gets fixed. Pyro and Heavy both have major gameplay and bug issues that need to be ironed out, just putting up a 'yo which class should we fix lol' is the most ineffective and stupid thing they could have done.
Sure it makes people hyped and everything, but "New Weapons"?? Who wants more unlocks? This game already has enough to begin with.

As someone who played Pyro in Plat Highlander for a season I can pretty much say the class only needs bug fixes and it will be fine. Because unless you want to completely change the core basis of what the class means (which some people absolutely love) you are going to have major issues balancing such a weird concept.

Heavy on the other hand is pretty much garbage, the class almost has no 'serious' mains the way that the other classes do because it's so basic. Everything that it does can basically be done better by any other class except for a few small caveats, and the class is just plain not fun to play. Aiming everything down and slowly (emphasis on slowly) walk forward. Sure you have the 'amazing' strategy of jumping around corners, but Valve put that in the bin during the LaW update.

Heavy needs this so much more than Pyro, and i'm disappointed in all subjects involved in the decision to overhaul or "give new weapons" to Pyro.

Uncuepa

aa
Oct 25, 2014
Heavy needs this so much more than Pyro

I have nearly 4x as many hours on Pyro as I do Heavy. This is why I voted Heavy. I don't play heavy much right now because I don't like his gameplay, so why would I vote for the class I already enjoy to play if the comp results in a redesign? Insert saying about not fixing functioning things.

DrLambda

L69: Teeheehee, Member
aa
Feb 18, 2015
I don't really care which class gets fixed first. I personally tried to "main" pyro for the better part of the time i've been playing, but over the last year-and-a-half, it just became more and more unsatisfying, so i look forward to see more options. Heavy was my least-played class, but it catched up recently because i kinda enjoy how you can do pretty much all the flanking stuff you can do with Pyro (except for det jumping) but with a weapon that can actually kill things. The two classes are the ones i'd like to see redesigned the most, so i look forward to both updates.

They acknowledged frompyrowithlove.com in the blog post, so i think they'll also probably fix flamethrower mojo and similar.

From my point of view, Pyro is weak and bug-ridden but fun, and Heavy is powerful but plain, so these are the things that i'd like to see changed.

Dec 28, 2014
This is what happens when you don't explain what the vote means, half of my friendlist thinks that it means who they like better.

It shouldn't have been up to the community (a community based around 10-15 year olds) to vote on which class finally gets fixed. Pyro and Heavy both have major gameplay and bug issues that need to be ironed out, just putting up a 'yo which class should we fix lol' is the most ineffective and stupid thing they could have done.
Sure it makes people hyped and everything, but "New Weapons"?? Who wants more unlocks? This game already has enough to begin with.

As someone who played Pyro in Plat Highlander for a season I can pretty much say the class only needs bug fixes and it will be fine. Because unless you want to completely change the core basis of what the class means (which some people absolutely love) you are going to have major issues balancing such a weird concept.

Heavy on the other hand is pretty much garbage, the class almost has no 'serious' mains the way that the other classes do because it's so basic. Everything that it does can basically be done better by any other class except for a few small caveats, and the class is just plain not fun to play. Aiming everything down and slowly (emphasis on slowly) walk forward. Sure you have the 'amazing' strategy of jumping around corners, but Valve put that in the bin during the LaW update.

Heavy needs this so much more than Pyro, and i'm disappointed in all subjects involved in the decision to overhaul or "give new weapons" to Pyro.

Both of the classes are getting an update and new weapons, the winner just gets the update first. From the Meet Your Match Blogpost:

ShaliKyuu

L1: Registered
Apr 7, 2016
Pyro is weak and bug-ridden but fun, and Heavy is powerful but plain
Amen to that! In this way, Pyro and Heavy are pure opposites, but they both got valid reasons to be fixed. (Which makes for a perfect "war" imo) But in my book, fixing bugs should be prioritized

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
lots of text

my short answer is that pyro has more immediate fixes in mind

let's get those out of the way first so we can spend more time figuring out what heavy needs, instead of slapping together some heavy shit right now and saving the long, already-written out pyro fixes for later

LadyRaee

CHEERFULLY SUICIDAL
Sep 1, 2012
Imo, first thing Valve team should do (which will fix so many problems!) is to stop using AABB at all, base all projectiles, colisions and entity checks of hitboxes that are not locked to world axis

Nuke

L4: Comfortable Member
Jul 5, 2016
More cancer coming in pubs Thanks and have fun (c) Valve to TF2 players who made wrong decision

Lain

lobotomy success story
aa
Jan 8, 2015
my short answer is that pyro has more immediate fixes in mind

let's get those out of the way first so we can spend more time figuring out what heavy needs, instead of slapping together some heavy shit right now and saving the long, already-written out pyro fixes for later
Yes Pyro needs fixes, but you don't need a class overhaul to make a few small fixes to an already great class.

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
the entire vote is just a formality, both classes are getting overhauls, what valve really cares about is the discussion the vote starts

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
Imo, first thing Valve team should do (which will fix so many problems!) is to stop using AABB at all, base all projectiles, colisions and entity checks of hitboxes that are not locked to world axis
My understanding is that the whole underlying netcode is fubar and needs a complete rewrite, but I'll let someone who's more familiar with the source code weigh in on that.

More cancer coming in pubs Thanks and have fun (c) Valve to TF2 players who made wrong decision
The fact that you used the term "cancer" unironically like this is 4chan in 2008 just makes it clear that I should not listen to anything you say and probably continue to do whatever it is that pisses you off.