Left 4 Dead 2

HeaH

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 2, 2008
I guess I'll buy it on a sale or something like that

StoneFrog

L6: Sharp Member
May 28, 2008
If they're making entirely new campaigns, survival maps, and all versus modes, then Left 4 Dead 2 could ship with a max of 65 maps to play on. That's more than double the content in the original.
Too bad the new Survivors (save for the con-man) are totally uninspired, and so are the maps. Seriously, the maps in the E3 gameplay videos look like something out of a fanmade Source mod. Very dull and heterogenous, it reminds me of gm_construct.

/rant

Apr 19, 2009
Too bad the new Survivors (save for the con-man) are totally uninspired, and so are the maps. Seriously, the maps in the E3 gameplay videos look like something out of a fanmade Source mod. Very dull and heterogenous, it reminds me of gm_construct.

/rant
And the worst is the people playing them! All they do is stand around and don't play the game they just let the Bots do all the work and it makes the game look bad.

StoneFrog

L6: Sharp Member
May 28, 2008
Heh, I used to complain on how I disliked the fact pretty much every common Infected in L4D looked like an office worker. It was alright for No Mercy and Dead Air, but I'd like to know what they were doing in the middle of a cornfield (executive picnic?).

I must admit though, these Southerner Infected with their undershirts and jean shorts are pretty gross. I'll take office workers any day.

Sgt.Sausage

L420: High Member
Dec 5, 2008
nope theres a whole podcast with chet whatsisname from valve and he assured the guy L4D 1 (as they now call it) would continue to be updated. but they wanted to add SO much new stuff into the new one it ceased to be possible with just DLC, especially for the 360. Which being the piece of turd it is, can't handle as much DLC as TF2 has had. so they're moving it into an entirely new game.

what podcast are you talking about .

You got a name or link for me. Thanks

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
there goes consoles ruining everything again.

This.

This.

This.

I guess they got fed up enough of having to deal with Console based TF2 that they decided this was best for L4D, but IMO L4D needs more stuff like this (as shmitz put it) to bring it to the value of what we originally payed for it.

I more than got my worth out of TF2 before-and-regardless of the Updates, and although i disagree with Shmitz' opinion that TF2 was anything worth what we payed for it 'Vanilla style' i certainly agree that L4D left a lot to be desired, and was actually something i believed would get some sort of expansion like this rather than this totally new release. It almost seemed implied.

This.

I'm annoyed that as PC gamers we get the short straw for game development related decisions because console's suck for anything other than a complete game, and they still feel the need to cater for basically a minority player base of their games. Sure, give them patches and crap for bugs/exploits, but when it comes to updates.. well it doesn't seem logical.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
You guys are such idiots. You've seen what, a trailer and a couple minutes of gameplay footage and you're boycotting the game?

Seriously, listen to what Chet is saying and look at the facts. Yes, it is a new game. Yes, it will cost a little bit of monies. Yes, it is pretty quick for a sequel and "not the norm for VALVe" (based on ONE single game, TF2.)

Look at what you're getting and what makes it stand out and not really flow with L4D1. First, a new environment, the southern United States. Second, a completely new timeframe in the infection, much later than L4D1. New, improved zombies. New primary, secondary, and now melee weapons. Incendiary ammunition. New special infected. Slight gameplay changes. AI Director 2.0 (not 1.1! 2.0. All new.). 5 new campaigns, 35 maps, all for versus as well. The list goes on and on.

This isn't just rereleasing the game with new characters for more money. They've fundamentally improved and completely redone the game based on what they've learned from L4D1, as well as adding new things to improve the experience that didn't make it into L4D1.

Yeah, maybe it'll suck and yeah, maybe buying L4D1 was slightly pointless now, but don't hate on a game you've barely seen. You guys are sounding like Mar right before a TF2 update. "I don't know how it works or how it affects gameplay, all I have is this posed screenshot and some text on an update page, but OMGWTFROFLBBQ it'll unbalance and game and VALVe are morons and ruining it!". Don't judge the value of game based on a trailer.

Calm down and WAIT. Six more months, and they aren't finishing unveiling what else they've changed and added.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
To be honest Nine, I don't really see how most of these concerns braught forth are dumbfounded.

Second, a completely new timeframe in the infection, much later than L4D1. New, improved zombies. New primary, secondary, and now melee weapons. Incendiary ammunition. New special infected. Slight gameplay changes. AI Director 2.0 (not 1.1! 2.0. All new.). 5 new campaigns, 35 maps, all for versus as well. The list goes on and on.

In response to that statement in particular..

So what there's a lot of new content. The player base is pissed off that they purchased a game with the assumption that it would be improved and continue to grow from repeated Valve updates (I suppose, much in the same way TF2 has). This was what was implied in the first place by Valve. Now it's for the better part been dropped for a new release that will not only cost them more money (a nuisance more than anything but a point none-the-less), but split a community in 2 (although i predict the second's success will overshadow L4D1, but i know the harm it does having experienced WON to STEAM conversion splitting the TFC community in half). Think less of it as "omg i hate this game i've never played" and more like "look what they've done to the game i have played". Telling people they're idiots when they're only voicing concerns and dissapointment seems a little high horse don't you think?

Bitching about a game you've never played is certainly naive but i think that's only a by product of so many individual changes to form opinions on, about this turn of events.

I'd like to think no one would complain about a new game, especially a sequal so soon (How often does that happen with Valve?). But of course they are going to complain about a game they just purchased with implications and presumptions of longevity only to find it become needlessly redundant. I say needlessly redundant because Valve didn't feel it necassery to update half the classes and release TF3 and then the rest for TF4, because that's what's happened here for L4D2. TF2 has had New maps, new gameplay, new environments, new weapons which inevitably lead to new mechanics. With that arguement you're just gonna justify what is happening with L4D over what has happened with TF2.

I havn't seen anyone intending to be a dick about this. I don't even play L4D, but i did buy it and expect more than this.

Gadget

aa
Mar 10, 2008
I've played the demo of L4D when it came out, played through all the campaigns and a couple of versus matches on a free weekend. All the fans of the game won't agree with me on this but: it's so repetitive that it gets boring after a short time. No story, only 4 weapons and 2 types of grenades, shooting the same zombies over and over again - boring. The level design really was the only thing that made me play through all the levels. Now having said that let me admit that the game definately has a lot of good ideas and a nice atmosphere but it's just not a game I'll ever buy. However that teaser for the sequel game looks interesting because there will be more variety within the game and I'll consider buying it once I've played a demo. Now what's the point? Here it is: If that new content would be included in a L4D update (and not be a separate game) I probably might purchase it but since the L4D content is not very interesting for me I'm fine with the fact that they'll release a brand new game.