Left 4 Dead 2

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
I'm calling a bluff and saying this is probably one of the biggest pranks ever. It's going to be a massive expansion for l4d on pc, maybe a whole new game for xbox.

Valve is the worlds best [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETO3-MxMe2Q"]troll.[/ame]

My question is why is there no blog update?

Malcolm

L3: Member
Jul 10, 2008
additionally, valve failed at buying left4dead2.com. This is quite strange because web addresses are vital for success. I will not believe any of valve's announcements until the dvd of l4d2 (l8d = lated xD) is inside my computer.

StoneFrog

L6: Sharp Member
May 28, 2008
I knew things were up since Valve decided to start calling major L4D updates "DLC" and not "updates" like all self-respecting PC game developers do.

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
IMO this "teaser" from E3 was just practice for meet the Pyro.

Phobos

L3: Member
Feb 22, 2009
Considering that R2D2 L4D2 got its own board on steampowered now, I'd say it's pretty officially announced.

L4D was for me (personally) the most overrated game 2008. Coop was fun for a month and became stale after that. And Versus wasn't the greatest experience. It was either steamrolling or being steamrolled. I stopped playing before the big patches rolled out, maybe it got better after that. But my fun with the game was spoiled, no interest to go back. TF2 is in every way superior.

This sequel looks like a bad move from Valve. I can understand that many people feel ripped off.

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
L4D didn't even feel like a finished product to me. If you look at your average single player game you can get 20~40 hours from one play through. Now I know L4D is meant to be a co-op game played over and over but I felt like the AI director didn't mix thing up that much except for zombie spawns. 1 play through through all the campaigns might last 4~5 hours tops. Nowhere near the content that should have been delivered. These campaigns weren't that creative and if every other developer can crank out more then 4levels and settings, so can Valve.

So I'm pissed there releasing a new game instead of adding this on to their half assed product.

cornontheCoD

L420: High Member
Mar 25, 2008
Yeah, I got pretty sick of L4D pretty fast. I don't think just adding more of the same will do the trick for the sequel.

Cerious

L420: High Member
Aug 10, 2008
I'm not going to pay $50 for 4 maps and an unfinished game again. Fucking Valve, this is the shit I'd expect EA to do.

uma plata

Jan 20, 2009
Glass may be half full

If Valve can make an obscene amount of money off of packaging L4D in sequels, they can use it in development of their other franchises

Hopefully

I never got into L4D personally. Just not enough there to keep me interested

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

L10: Glamorous Member
Apr 12, 2008
I'm getting flashbacks to what happened with Spore here, and it doesn't make me happy.

At least you seemed to enjoy the creation portion of the game, judging from the amount of stuff you made and the background stories for different creatures. (The one for Sporde(?) was the best).

If Valve can make an obscene amount of money off of packaging L4D in sequels, they can use it in development of their other franchises

Or just roll around on bigger piles of our money, like Blizzard.

Trust

L1: Registered
Dec 6, 2008
First a sequel-unworthy L4D2 is announced. Then Microsoft proudly speaks on how 360 is becoming overpriced Wii for the next 2 hours. Then EA starts showing EA Girls and EA Sports. EA Conference ends and not a single word from Valve about EP3 or anything else.

I will find who is responsible for these apocalyptic events and personally poop on their chests.

TheAnonymousMrP

L1: Registered
Oct 25, 2008
I think people are making a lot of fuss over nothing. Yes, it may end up being slightly over-priced (I felt the same about the first one, so waited until Christmas), but that it strictly speaking has more content than the first says more about the first than this new product.

Having listened to the Rock, Paper, Shotgun podcast with the interview, I do believe the effort is sincere, if perhaps a touch misguided. I personally believe the biggest problem with the whole situation is the addition of "2" to the title. Were there merely a subtitle, it would be perceived as an expansion/standalone addition off to the side instead of the high and mighty moniker of sequel. If the Director 2.0 had been called the Director 1.5, people still wouldn't complain, even if it held all the same features. That strikes me as a failure of marketing, not concept.

The good thing with Steam is, as has been shown, they can experiment with price structures and throw in perks up the wazoo. I imagine they'll be largely necessary to paper off this PR blunder, along with at least one more content update (I'd guess a campaign). If people really purchased L4D with the intent of investing in future updates, especially considering all the update pricing shenanigans which have been present since day one, they are more than a little bit naive.

Honestly, my only complaints are that it might mean another cold winter for TF2 updates, and no informed progress on EP3/whatever-orange-box-spectacular-they-might-have-planned. That's a shame, as there's more heritage in those franchises which scream Valve, though the lack of success on 360 would suggest a reason.

Hell, think about it for a second: this recession has made Valve attempt to make a game in a year. Is crazy.

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
At least you seemed to enjoy the creation portion of the game, judging from the amount of stuff you made and the background stories for different creatures. (The one for Sporde(?) was the best).

Spore had its enjoyable parts, yes, but that's not the point. Rather, what was enjoyable about Spore wasn't worth the price of a full game. What was enjoyable about L4D wasn't worth the price of a full game. What was enjoyable about TF2 wasn't worth the price of a full game. Of that list, only TF2 has been actively supported to the point where the game has been raised to (and beyond) the value paid for it.

Instead of supporting Spore, EA instead just started creating additional products to sell to consumers, while ignoring all the incompleteness of the original purchase. This caused a definite split in the player community between those willing to blindly throw money at EA and those who actually considered the value of what they were getting in return. This seems to be the path that Valve is taking with L4D, and it bothers me greatly.

SiniStarR

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Mar 31, 2009
i feel like its too early but meh, what do i care i dont even own l4d

StoneFrog

May 28, 2008
Jan 31, 2008
Well, the new stuff in L4D2 seems great. It seems alot more fun and varying. What bugs me is just that they'll release it as a whole new title, when they can basically just add it as an expansion for a lower price than a full game.
It looks awesome and the new characters seem nice aswell. I think I'll buy it.

Shadowfield

L2: Junior Member
Aug 14, 2008
This is how I see things. The money I spent on it is justified depending on the amount I played it. Yes, I honestly believe L4D should have had twice as many campaigns, and yes, it was overpriced. But guess what...

I still LOVED it.

For the amount of time I've spent playing it, it has been worth every single penny, and I am more than ready to buy any other L4D game Valve has to offer.

And after seeing the game play videos, I think I'm going to actually prefer the sequel. Especially since it's in daylight, which I find to be way more realistic. I mean, if you were in a zombie apocalypse, you would NOT be traveling at night.

So, yes, I hope this is just a DLC, but I will welcome any form of zombie induced hell.

Feb 14, 2008
You have to remember however, Left 4 Dead shipped with 30 maps to play on (survival and versus).

If they're making entirely new campaigns, survival maps, and all versus modes, then Left 4 Dead 2 could ship with a max of 65 maps to play on. That's more than double the content in the original.

Last edited: