Left 4 Dead 2

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

L10: Glamorous Member
Apr 12, 2008
The idea for many is that L4D just has not turned out to be worth the money. The original content was lacking, though the first "DLC" helped with that some, even though it took ~ 6 months to release two additional campaigns where nearly all of the work was finished from the start. Yet rather than continuing to release content or improve on what very much felt like a beta (the Blizzard strategy of development), Valve is going to release all the fixes the community desires in another game.

If L4D had been a full game at release, then this would not be as large of an issue as people are making it out to be (concerns about a new game splitting the community would still be valid). Rather, gamers are now finding themselves in a relationship with Valve, that, as Shmitz said, resembles that with EA in regards to Spore - rather than fixing the "broken" game, a new one is released.

To sum it up, I am happy to see new content, but I wish Valve would have taken the time and made L4D a better game rather than making a new game all together (screw arguments about the new environment, they could have invested that time in maps) and leaving those of us who bought L4D with what very much feels like an incomplete game.

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
This isn't just rereleasing the game with new characters for more money. They've fundamentally improved and completely redone the game based on what they've learned from L4D1, as well as adding new things to improve the experience that didn't make it into L4D1.

Generally speaking, what you describe going on here would be called an expansion, not a sequel. I would be fine if this were an expansion, at typical expansion prices.

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
TLDR at the bottom.

Just to beat a dead horse to a bloody pulp, L4D, like TF2 when it came out, was a half finished, half grilled game. You could play through the game in like 5 hours and the it wasn't that great since half the dumb-buts online didn't get the meaning of co-op. Honestly L4D2 looks like what L4D should have been.

L4D fucked some things up hard: Verus mode, the fact you have more ammo then the soviet union, AI directly only randomized zombie spawns and such.

L4D2 is what L4D should have been like. Honestly they should have not release the first L4D and instead release it this year. Think about that. 8 campaigns, shit load of maps, 2 different settings, and all the stuff we wanted.

I'm pissed becuase L4D2 and L4D combined into one game is what a complete single player/ co-op game should be.

NovaSilisko

L42: Life, the Universe and Everything
aa
Feb 3, 2009
For once, I agree with mar.

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
from that amazon link im going to draw your attention to something

Left4Dead 2 by Electronic Arts (Nov 17, 2009) (Xbox 360)

notice it? I wasn't aware that EA made l4d :p

Yeah, I saw it, and they did it with the first one too. Word is EA distributes the retail copies, while valve does the steam stuff.

I was pretty irked when I saw a few newspaper reviews saying stuff along the lines of, EA has outdone themselves with their new zombie game, etc.

:\

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Lol, i just ran into:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koM4wyfCA_c"]YouTube - L4D2 Boycott Interview with outrageous L4D players[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai9qa1T_I3o"]YouTube - L4D2 Boycott Hitler mad at Left 4 Dead 2!!![/ame]

NovaSilisko

L42: Life, the Universe and Everything
aa
Feb 3, 2009
People act like valve won't keep updating L4D1...even though valve has SAID several times that they would.

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
People act like valve won't keep updating L4D1...even though valve has SAID several times that they would.

Did they say this before they announced Left 4 dead 2? And if they did, I want sources.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Did they say this before they announced Left 4 dead 2? And if they did, I want sources.

At the same time actually, theres an interview with Chet where he assures the interviewer (guy from rock paper shotgun) that they'll keep updating L4D

Rasputin

L3: Member
Sep 20, 2008
I've heard from my brother, who heard it from some forum or another that what should happen is Valve lower the price of L4D2 on steam for those who have already bought the first and also decrease the price of L4D for those who have already purchased L4D2.

I don't know, it sounds like a pretty solid idea really, disregarding the owners of L4D on the Xbox.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
I've heard from my brother, who heard it from some forum or another that what should happen is Valve lower the price of L4D2 on steam for those who have already bought the first and also decrease the price of L4D for those who have already purchased L4D2.

I don't know, it sounds like a pretty solid idea really, disregarding the owners of L4D on the Xbox.

Sounds good to me.

Of course that won't fly for EA and Xbox people are getting screwed, but that's their fault, buying a Microsoft product and then buying things for it from EA.

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
I get that PC is better for patches and stuff but guys, can we please get over the senseless xbox bashing?

There is a reason 28 million people bought the xbox over a gaming PC, the chief ones being that it is much cheaper then a PC with the same graphics quality and becuase all there friends are on it. I still play on my Xbox just to play with my RL friends.

So while it does have it's cons can we stop beating it in every post?

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

L10: Glamorous Member
Apr 12, 2008
Well, if the game wasn't produced for the Xbox, life for PC users would be a hell of a lot easier. So the Xbox is actually holding back the PC in many ways, which is a justifiable reason to dislike it.

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
How is the Xbox holding the PC back? My reaching a larger audience so developers can get more money back from their investment allowing them to put more resources into newer games?