Landfall

CTF landfall rc

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.

StickZer0

💙💙💃💙💙
aa
Nov 25, 2008

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
I haven't had problems with spawn-camping myself, though I can't speak for the games you've played.

In the map's defense, I tried to design the spawns to be anti-campy. The respawn time is long enough to make the losing team spawn together, the doors have one-way glass, the two doors can't be camped from one spot, the areas viewing the doors don't have inherent advantages over them, and there're no health-packs for the campers.

Have you noticed an exploitable position that I overlooked, or maybe there are some camping trends? A stacked team is a stacked team, so spawn-camping is always possible. But if you've found a significant problem I'll be sure to look into it.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
The main problem is that the spawn is right behind the intel. When players reach the enemy base when the intel isn't there, they tend to wait around for it to respawn. Which means they're also camping the enemy spawn. It's not that spawncamping is easier than usual, so much as it is just more likely to happen. I think that's what Trotim is talking about. Unfortunately I don't know what you can do about that, except maybe replace one of the exits with a second story that exits onto a balcony, giving spawning players a way to sneak past enemies from above or at least gain a height advantage.

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
Both Spawn exits can be defended from the same area. A ScoRes Demo, however rare they may be, can pretty much lock both spawns down on his own.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
My suggestion:

landfallledge.jpg

Make this upstairs area part of the base, connected to the spawn area with an inside staircase, and put a narrow sliding door where that wooden one is now. Maybe add some wooden railing to the outside of the ledge.

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
My suggestion:
Make this upstairs area part of the base, connected to the spawn area with an inside staircase, and put a narrow sliding door where that wooden one is now. Maybe add some wooden railing to the outside of the ledge.

I got what you were saying before, but that kind of change would alter the layout more than I'd like. That path is specifically there for the attackers to approach the intel, and giving the defense an easy route up would defeat the purpose of it. It would also become the new best sentry location, and I don't think anyone wants that.

Last edited:

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
I don't see what the big deal is. It's not that big an image, it only takes five seconds or so to load.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
The guy can troll his own thread if he likes. I'm pretty sure he knows the consequences, whether he chooses to ignore them or not.

But i do agree that placing the intel by the spawn exits poses a potential spawn camping problem. Comp players do like to spawn camp and are incredibly effective at it when given the oppotunity to do so.

The layout is such that it's relatively easy to chase the carrier if you are already in the area, warranting the need to protect the carrier most of the time. Thus reducing the priority of spawn camping to gain that advantage irrespective of gaming etiquette. It just depends on whether more than one person is doing it. If it's just one it hasn't been an issue (It's easily dealt with) and i've never been witness to more than that.

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
I'm trying out layout tweaks again. Beta 1 was getting high praise from some people and scathing reviews from others. I guess the layout just really polarized people with different play styles (on top of a couple general issues, of course). So it's back to revision!

I'm trying out a new position for the intel, just to see how it pans out. I may or may not keep it, but let me know what you think of it.

-------------------
ctf_landfall_test1
-------------------
Gameplay Changes:
-flag return time raised to 35 seconds

Layout changes:
-Changed the sides of mid. They're now higher up and have a porch area to give a better vantage point on the upper catwalk.
-Various changes to the former intel area.
-Moved the intel to the building adjacent to where it used to be. I also expanded the building to make it a better intel spot. I'm just trying it out for now, to see what the new location does, so I might not stick with it.