Landfall

CTF landfall rc

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
Just summarizing what I said in game, the upper path is much too effective against the people defending. I mean I went there repeatedly as demo and singlehandedly destroyed every sentry with just pipebombs. I get that you don't want sentries to be too over powered, but honestly, thats way too underpowered. I don't advise actively trying to make sentries more effective, but rather give the defenders an easier way to notice and kill the people attacking the sentries.

Provided you want to maintain the layout as much as possible, I see 2 main solutions. Give the defenders a quicker way of getting to the top then the attackers. Or force the attackers to be much more exposed while they are attacking. Possibly by removing the room, and replacing it with just a ledge or something...

Last edited:

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
Alpha 6 released. Big changes (despite only 3 lines in the log).

-------------------
ctf_landfall_a6
-------------------
Layout changes:
-Removed the long side paths in middle to the upper path.
-Changed the upper path alcove above the intel area. Now it's a balcony around the outside of the building, no inside area.
-Added a new path from the saw room to the upper path.

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
Working on the trees. Check it out! (in hammer)

bigtreewip3.jpg

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
Alpha 7! Biggest new build since the first alpha!

landfallnew1.jpg

Download:
http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=3308&act=down

-------------------
ctf_landfall_a7
-------------------
Gameplay Changes (kind of):
-New theme!
-Detailing through part of the map.

Layout changes:
-Raised the player-clip roof through the entire map.
-Added ramps on each side of mid to give players another way to the upper path.
-Added a small health-kit below each of the new ramps.
-Shrunk down the side-path on the far outside of each base.

Last edited:

SlayerBlitz

L3: Member
Dec 3, 2009
I really liked this map but there was some problems that just made it borderline unplayable.

First off, the sniper class was virtually useless on this map, because of the easy access to the battlements. The best way to solve this is to take off the bridges from the tree to the battlements, just those, not the ones going to the ground. Then maybe add railing, walls, windows, ect to the battlements to make them real battlements.

The path way that leads from the battlements to above the intel and main base is way to hard to get up to. My solution is to open up the top part of the building to the left so instead of walking up along the side of it, you can go inside and then turn left to get on top of the building overlooking the intel (the one with the fence on top.)

The intel seemed way to easy to just grab and run away so quickly that no one could stop you. My solution is the move the spawns a bit back, Put a building to the right of the spawn with the chain link fence on top, put the intel in their, and give it a hole in the roof so that there would still be a reason to get on the roof.

Also your medkit placement was a bit odd. there is nooooo reason for like 4 of your small medkits. You could take the med and ammo out of the building to the left of the spawn with the fence on top, you could take out the small medkit on top of the small ramp in that area, you could also take out the small medkits at the bottom of the main tree, and that one on the battlements.

Also, the area around the main tree felt a bit too compact, but it may work with many more people. The pathway under the battlements into the bases kinda made it pointless to use the longer route around, so maybe you could make a one way door there so people in the base could leave but others couldnt come in.

besides this stuff, its a great map, and could easily become a good ctf or koth map. Maybe even a PLR map if you worked it right.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
I love how well this map uses the lumberyard/sawmill theme. It really helps to disguise the skybox and give it its own unique character. The last test was pretty stacked in terms of teams, but it did feel like we could have tried harder to take the high ground. I think it's good so far.

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
Released Alpha 8. It's basically the same as 7 only with the bridges fixed (bullets/rockets/stickies now collide), and new placements for some of the health and ammo to help direct the flow of combat. Just wanted a slightly-better version of a7 that I could playtest for a while.

-------------------
ctf_landfall_a8
-------------------
Gameplay Changes (kind of):
-fixed collisions on the bridges (rockets, stickies, etc)

Layout changes:
-Changed the placement of health and ammo.