Is it possible to change the camera angle/position of a player when they join?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by TwashMan, Sep 14, 2016.

1. TwashMan

TwashMan L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I know about the "cam_idealdist" command and sutch but i cant seem to get the "point_clientcommand" entity to work. The editing area of the entity is all blank. Ill be gone for the next 5 hours. so if you respond expect a respond later on.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  2. MaccyF

aa MaccyF Notoriously Unreliable

Positive Ratings:
    if you mean the view displayed when joining a server, you need to use the info_observer_point entity, and set it as the welcome point within the entity's properties

3. sevin

aa sevin

Positive Ratings:
  4. TwashMan

Positive Ratings:
    No i mean how to do make a player execute a command like "cam_idealdist 200". Im sorry i sould have been more clear

5. DrLambda

aa DrLambda L69: Teeheehee, Member

Positive Ratings:
    Are you trying to set up anything in third person? Otherwise cam_idealdist 200 won't do anything.

6. Yrr

aa Yrr An Actual Deer

Positive Ratings:
    I think this is a case where you need to describe WHY you want to do this because simply deciding where the player is facing can be done by angling the spawnpoint and info_observer_points for the spectator cam

7. TwashMan

Positive Ratings:
    Yes i am trying to get the view in thirdpweson to be further back

8. TwashMan

Positive Ratings:
    Ok ill rephrase it. I am having problems with the point_clientcommand and the point_servercommand entities. They are blank

9. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    Those entities require you to pass an input to them through a logic_relay or something with the command you want to execute in the parameter field. They don't have thee command stored in them themselves.

10. sevin

aa sevin

Positive Ratings:
    It should also be mentioned that point_servercommand will not work on most servers, including listen servers, because Valve added a cvar awhile back that must be changed to allow them. That entity has a lot of griefing potential, as you might imagine.

11. TwashMan

Positive Ratings:
    Well some commmand are still usable right?

12. sevin

aa sevin

Positive Ratings:
    No. The default setting disallows all point_servercommand inputs. You still haven't given us the reason why you're doing this. Is this for a non-standard game mode or a modded server or something? Some plugins need to have point_servercommand enabled, such as dodgeball, but chances are your inputs will be denied.

13. TwashMan

Positive Ratings:
    Just trying to remake a level from super merio sunshine. And i wanted the sizes to be correct but it looked to big in first person, so ill just go ahead and change them.

14. sevin

aa sevin

Positive Ratings:
    What sizes? You're saying you're trying to compensate for over-scaled geometry by putting the camera farther back from the player?

15. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    Actually, the default setting doesn't disallow it everywhere, but only allows them on official maps. No difference for you though.

16. TwashMan

Positive Ratings:
    Yes.
    Yes.

17. sevin

aa sevin

Positive Ratings:
    So why don't you just make your geometry appropriately sized instead of trying to do some hacky camera thing with console commands?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. TwashMan

Positive Ratings:
    You know what. Ok ill just do it. Thanks for your help :D

19. sevin

aa sevin

Positive Ratings:
    And this is why you should specify these things in your original post. Good luck. :)