Haarp

CTF Haarp rc

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
alpha 6 is here! This is a big upgrade: the third section is now connected to the rest of the map, making it complete!

-------------------
ctf_haarp_a6
-------------------

Gameplay Changes:
-Capture points that Red owns function as dispensers for their team.

Layout changes:
-All three sections are included.
-Partially detailed through capture point 1-1
-The intelligence in section 1 now spawns on a platform in between the two paths out of Blue spawn.
-The area leading up to CP 2-2 is different. There are now two main paths, instead of three small paths.
-The room containing CP 2-2 is larger, and there is an additional staircase to the lower level on Red's side.

Waif

L7: Fancy Member
Mar 22, 2009
Oh wow, that first screenshot looks really nice- love the setting (and the huge pipe :p)

Looking forward to having a playtest on this map, is it entered in any gamedays :)?

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
bump for gameday.

Wow, section 1 got locked down multiple times. I guess defenders are getting used to the map now and it's easier to defend than I anticipated. The attackers weren't very organized, but even still it seemed too difficult. I think I might raise the timer for each capture as well, blue didn't get very much time for section 2 the one time they made it that far.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
We played stage 1 and stage 2 on gameday and they were both fun, I like the map. :)
And yea, stage 1 seemed much harder for blu than before, especially at point 2. There where always atleast 4 - 5 reds standing in that small 'room' with the 2nd cp in, but blu couldn't kill them, because it was very hard to reach the entrance of that room.

The first cp in stage 2 wasn't that hard I think, but that cp fine like it is now, I think. But, the 2nd cp was just a sentry fest. It was very hard to take 3 - 4 sentries out, even with some ubercharges there was always one left over. I don't know how to fix it, but maybe some little more advantage for blu there would be cool. :)

BrokenTripod

L5: Dapper Member
May 11, 2009
I must say I love the map, and can't wait until you put in the skybox, because it will apparently be something amazing =DDDD

I only just noticed this, but the pointer on the bottom that points at the intel points at Section 3's intel, and never the intel for the section (unless it's section 3 of course =O)

Not sure if this would ever confuse anyone or if this actually even happens in maps.

BrokenTripod

May 11, 2009
The name is amazing, and if he's actually using HAARP, then he's amazing.

If he's NOT, then I'd gladly steal the name and the idea and make my own thing, but that would be silly.

Also, I'm loving how you included the album cover to it =P

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
Updated to alpha 7!

-------------------
ctf_haarp_a7
-------------------

Gameplay Changes:
-The HUD compass is fixed, and now points at the correct capture points.

Layout changes:
-The section between CP 1-1 and 1-2 is redesigned to make it easier for Blue to setup a staging area.

BrokenTripod

May 11, 2009
I really like the redesign! I kind of feel like there's a lot of metal in that area, though (There's a Med Ammo/Health AND a Small Ammo/Health within like 256 units of each other, I think)

It should allow for a faster/better staging area for blue, which is your intention. I'll try to be there to test it out =D

EDIT: It's at 12, so I should be able to wake up for it...

littleedge

L1111: Clipping Guru
aa
Mar 2, 2009
I don't know what it is about Haarp, but it is an epic map. I just hope you don't detail it so much I lag.

Only problem I saw was the RED spawn door that BLU could open, and on the first round, that one hut has somethign sticking out of it at the top.

BrokenTripod

May 11, 2009
Yeah, the hut without the CP in it for section 2 I think is the one with something sticking out of it.

Don't forget Blue spawn in part 2, you need to make it so you don't have to jump to get out!

Also, the third section is really easy for soldiers/demomen to get into, so I'm not sure if you want to change it or anything.

After playing today, it looks like the spawn times are alright? I do think that one team was better than the other though, in general, so I'm not really sure what you want to do about the spawn times.

Map played really well today, and I think everyone loved the new additions!

Radaka

L420: High Member
May 24, 2009
hl22009070917351629.jpg

I think there should be health and ammo right where my cursor is pointing.

Waif

L7: Fancy Member
Mar 22, 2009
Nice map spud.
A few issues: reds respawn times were too long, I don't think they should exceed 20 secs at all.

This path needs a sign to point to it, when we played no-one used it as they probably didn't think it existed at all :p
Also that building should have some supports, looks a bit fake.
ctf_haarp_a70000.jpg

I think this area was too dark, and perhaps a bit too open in width.
ctf_haarp_a70001.jpg

Nothing major, but the edge of this building isn't touching the ground.
ctf_haarp_a70002.jpg

BrokenTripod

May 11, 2009
Oh, I do agree with Mashpotatoe's first thing he brought up. I played through HAARP by myself to look at the layout and I noticed it, but only after I had explored the capture point and the room it was it (I walked out and turned left and found a ramp and I was confused)

And even with prior knowledge of this area, I solely attacked the point from the right side.

I think when I was defending, I was doing a good job of blowing up whoever went this way, though, but there were a few pyros and soldiers who came by this way, including one who must have seen the path AFTER rocket jumping over the rocks.

It might also have to do something with the floor there being grey instead of blue? It just doesn't stick out as much since it blends into the skybox, I think.

I personally didn't notice the 2nd picture being dark, but I think my brightness is up too high. I do think it's a bit big, though, but I don't know of any way I'd recommend to reduce the size, because it played pretty well. I just wish there was a way to warn people of the possibility of soldiers/demomen rocket/stickie jumping into the cap, though.

captainAngry

L420: High Member
Feb 1, 2009

I got a chance to play this map last night and I was very pleazed. We had a great time, teams were balanced and we had many exciting moments. You made the intel areas perfectly accessable while also making them easy to defend. For instance, as a Soldier, there are many points that you can rocket jump to. This would be fine and dandy but if the cap area had a SG or a pyro was blowing people back, this was still difficult to accomplish.

I came in about half way through the match and someone had mentioned that they had gotten stuck in one of the spawns or something. I'm not sure what he was talking about but I am sure it will be in the demo.

Darkimmortal

L1: Registered
Jul 16, 2009
One of the best maps I've ever played.

A few minor bugs:

No sign:
tIS.jpg

Then the sign suddenly appears as you go further forward (visually distracting):
76q.jpg

Weird thing on roof:
tbS.jpg

Last edited: