Final Control Point - Detailing Mini Contest 2017

Gorgonzilla

L3: Member
Dec 1, 2016
But that looks like you have 2 different textures next to each other.
Nah, in hammer they are the same:
the same texture.JPG
All good tho, the contest has ended now, and i ended up just hiding it with a plank.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
Okay, fine.

You have 24 hours as of this post to fix your maps, make sure they are packed and resubmit them in a PM to me. I will reupload the map pack after that and if you don't get it in by then you've missed out. Any votes already taken will still apply, and if you've been marked down for missing content then that's just the price you're going to have to live with.

But for the love of all things, please check your map before submitting next time. You've had 3 months and already an extra week to work with, I only had one person PM me asking for a slight leeway in packed content, when all 8 of you with missing materials could have done it.

Now get going!!

As for voting on your own maps, feel free to. It's never been disallowed in previous years and won't cause much of an issue, as far as I can tell google forms only allows you to submit once.

nickybakes

You should've played Rumbleverse
aa
Jul 28, 2015
Packing these days is easier than any time before. Literally Compile Pal does everything for you, it compiles, it packs, it builds cubemaps (both HDR and LDR), and it repacks. It also gives you direct links to interlopers when there happens to be an error in the compile log. All you have to do is click a simple button, and then you can go make a sandwich or something. Y'all gotta just start throwing your custom assets into the tf/custom folder, and start taking advantage of this new sort of generation of mapping.

The only reason you'd not use CompilePal is if it straight up doesn't work with your system (you're on Mac or something idk). Or maybe you had certain lighting settings for Hammer compiles (but I'm pretty sure Compile Pal has options for those, and tbh if you don't know how to pack, you probably aren't messing with very specific lighting settings). Other than that, please save everyone's time and just use the easier way to do things.

How to put shit in yo custom folder:
https://tf2maps.net/threads/how-to-install-content-packs-or-other-custom-content.28758/

Compile Pal:
https://tf2maps.net/threads/compiling-and-packaging-with-compilepal.29679/

Viemärirotta

sniffer
aa
Feb 5, 2016
Packing these days is easier than any time before. Literally Compile Pal does everything for you, it compiles, it packs, it builds cubemaps (both HDR and LDR), and it repacks. It also gives you direct links to interlopers when there happens to be an error in the compile log. All you have to do is click a simple button, and then you can go make a sandwich or something. Y'all gotta just start throwing your custom assets into the tf/custom folder, and start taking advantage of this new sort of generation of mapping.

The only reason you'd not use CompilePal is if it straight up doesn't work with your system (you're on Mac or something idk). Or maybe you had certain lighting settings for Hammer compiles (but I'm pretty sure Compile Pal has options for those, and tbh if you don't know how to pack, you probably aren't messing with very specific lighting settings). Other than that, please save everyone's time and just use the easier way to do things.

How to put shit in yo custom folder:
https://tf2maps.net/threads/how-to-install-content-packs-or-other-custom-content.28758/

Compile Pal:
https://tf2maps.net/threads/compiling-and-packaging-with-compilepal.29679/
I actually tried Compile Pal for my entry, though somehow it managed to not pack the textures of a specific prop used in mine. Though I just fixed it manually by packing with VIDE after Compile Pal.

theatreTECHIE

Yet another Techie for the net...
aa
Jun 19, 2015
I actually tried Compile Pal for my entry, though somehow it managed to not pack the textures of a specific prop used in mine. Though I just fixed it manually by packing with VIDE after Compile Pal.
Even when using CompilePal, it's good practice to check if your map is properly packed before releasing it.

14bit

L14: Bit Member
aa
Oct 5, 2014
I wrote a lot of feedback for the detail entries. Like, a couple paragraphs about each. I know the comments will be released with the results, but I just wanted to share my thoughts as soon as possible as I'll probably be out of town when the results are released.

Keep in mind these are my opinions, feel free to disagree with them.

I like the circular space, but I'm not took keen on some of the texturing and geometry. The textures you used on the stairs just don't do it for me. I don't care for the scaffold in the middle either, it looks out of place and an OSHA accident waiting to happen.

The bridges to the point itself seem pointless, the are only like a foot above a flat metal walkway. The railings on them don't match the railings in the rest of the scene. I do like how you made brushwork railings in the back hallway though, I almost missed that, nice touch.

Some of the doorways feel a bit low, and there's no consistency in the style of the doors. Some are spytech, others don't have frames, and one is a brushwork sci-fi door. They look nice, but I'd rather have seen it consistent.

Sound design isn't very good, there seems to be only one soundscape that never has any variation.
I really, really like the grates around the point for some reason. Nice job!

4/5
First of all, I like some of the subtle details. The intel safe is neat, and the turning a tree on its side to act as a bush is really clever. I also like the opening in the roof. The lighting is nice as well.
There are some unpacked textures on the pipes though.

The sound design is nice, though I'm confused by the computer tape reader sound playing directly on the point.

Respawn lockers not working is a disappointment, but you won't loose anything for that because it wasn't required. I don't think the frontline lockers fit here though.

I don't like the use of the bunker textures, and some of the brushwork is iffy. There's no frames holding in the massive windows, but there's a massive post in the middle of the glass doors. Everything is sort of the same color as well.

My biggest issue is that it doesn't feel like a final. There's not enough space, and there's no places that the attacking team could come from if this was in a map. It just seems too small.

3/5
You're very lucky that you were allowed to resubmit a properly packed version, you were going to get a four. I really like this take on the farm/granary theme.

The 3D skybox is a bit empty and the weakest bit to me. I wish some of the pumps were animated, and the road is a bit janky. The amount of detail in the skybox is just right, enough to provide context to the scene but not enough to distract from the gameplay space.

I really like the little bunker under the point. I almost didn't notice it, which are the kind of details I like. The longer you look, the more you find. Like, even the undersides of the bridges have cross braces!
The amount of detail sprites on the displacements is a bit distracting, I would have blended in some paths between the various doors and ramps.

The sounds you chose are great. No complaints here.

It really feels like a final on a map, and one that I really want to play! I was going to give this a four for being unpacked, but you were allowed to fix it before I finished my reviews. My only complaints now are that the bloom is a little too high and some of the stairs are a bit steep.

5/5
I really like this one. Except for it appearing that blue is defending, it feels like a real TF2 map.

Your displacements are incredibly well done, and your texture choices are spot on as well. There's just enough details to make it feel like a real place without going overboard.

The 3d skybox looks good, and your use of sound is really great as well.

My biggest issue is the angled room directly across from spawn. The staircase up into it needs a few more steps--get rid of that angled floor, it doesn't look good. The floor is also very thick when viewed from the lower section of that room. There's also a misaligned texture in the other doorway and the hay in the corner is floating.

Despite these flaws, they don't detract from the scene enough for me to dock points.

5/5
Very unique. I'm not really sure what to say. We'll start with the things I like.

The custom content is nice, I like the use of the Japanese theme. The trees fit nicely, and I like the creativity of the 3d skybox and concept. The skybox and the building are the best parts.

However, there are several major flaws to me that keep me from giving it a great score.

The theming is inconsistent. If you are using primarily Japanese props, don't mix in rocks with Mayan/Aztec carvings on them. The large, industrial pipe in the water under the point looks really out of place. The large tree the point is around looks really off to me as well, though it's probably just the hologram around it.

It's really hard to articulate it, but something just feels kind of...off. Individual sections look good in isolation but don't form a cohesive whole that looks good.

Sound choices are pretty good, however it seems strange to me that the portal doesn't make any sound. Also the gong doesn't play sounds when hit.

0/5 no gong.

The longer I explore the scene the more unsettling it is. I can't pinpoint exactly why. Something feels very wrong. I don't want to wander around in this map again.

Finally, it doesn't feel like a TF2 map to me, and certainly not a final point. I think that's more of how the geometry is set up rather than the art, but it's still something to consider.

3/5
I like the idea of a spacecraft attacking the point, but it's just not done very well. Your cubemaps are broken and your lighting is wonky.

The main issues are that it's really big and empty, and the details that are there aren't the best. It feels overscaled.

The caged in walkway seems to serve no purpose other than to add detail to an empty place. This is fine, but try to think about why a walkway would be there. The walkways above final on Steel is a really good example of this, if you follow them though walls with noclip you can see that the whole area above the playspace is connected in logical ways. Yeah, it's there for detail, but the detail connects other detail spaces and offices. I don't know where I'm going with this, but it's something you might want to study.

The brushwork is lacking. There's no frames around some doorways, and it's generally uninteresting.

The best detail spaces are the office with the water cooler and the outside bits, but they are tucked away in a corners and hard to see. I like the smoking truck.

Nice cone, I'm a sucker for physics props.

1/5
The main issues are that it's overscaled and there's too much bloom. There's a lot of empty space, and it doesn't feel like a realistic facility.

The lighting is bland and the textures don't help. Try having some darker areas, because the bright areas don't really stand out.

The train line running under the building doesn't make much sense, but it looks okay. The few other detail areas outside of the playspace are pretty okay as well. Nothing stand out, but nothing is really offensive either.
The curved hallway is nice, and the flower cases are quite neat. I'd say it's the best part of the map.

2/5
The details are nice, and it looks pretty good. The room next to the point looks particularly nice, as well as Red's respawn room.

The use of sound is very good, the best I've seen in one of these so far.

My main complaints are the empty flat road in front of the point and the strange pipe cap sticking out of the brickwork.

It's a really a solid entry, but there's nothing particularly stand-out. In an actual map this would be really great, but for a detail contest it's not quite enough to push it over the edge.

4/5
I don't know what to say, it's really really good. The lighting's good, the sound's good, and it feels like it could be a real final point. My favorite details are the freezer rooms.

The creative use of props and textures is really neat. I really like the projector room.

My only complaint is that some of the hallways feel a bit tight.

5/5
I really like this concept, and I think you pulled it off well. My main issues are some of the lighting and brushwork.

The overall design of the area is great, I love the height variation and use of angles, even if used sparingly. The point itself is the strongest part, it feels like an actual final to a map unlike a lot of the entries.

By mixing in plants and trees, you manged to take a very limited theme with only a few textures and props and make something very unique and interesting. And you did it with Blu team, which has significantly less moon base assets for it! Overgrown lockers, ripped up floor panels, and creative use of the asteroid and dewm props have let you create an amazing scene that makes me want to explore the rest of the map.

The sound design is nice, it fits.

The foliage right near the point is a bit thick.

The lighting is okay, but it could be improved. some of the props are weirdly lit, and the orange glowing windows don't seem to emit any light on the surrounding area, despite being quite bright.

The brushwork on some of the ledges and staircases could be better. There's no trim on the ledges which looks kind of off, and the stairs in the corner are just some brushes piled. The rest is so well thought out that it's disappointing to see.

4/5
The brushwork is nice, though it's rather plain. I like it though.

I don't like the arches, they don't look right. I'm not sure the Egyptians used arches like this, and the way they are constructed doesn't make much sense. There would have to be bricks following the curve of the arch, giving it trim.

The lighting is varied and works well. You sound choice is fine, but nothing spectacular.

The geometry of the space is interesting and logical. I like how you blocked up the entrances with rubble.
The details that are present are clean and don't distract from the playspace, though there could be more. I like the little skylight and the boarded up section of the staircase, but there's just not enough details like that. There's so much more you can do with wall carvings and broken bricks in the Egypt theme that I feel you missed some great detailing opportunities.

It does feel like a playable space in a TF2 map. I don't have much else to say on that.

3/5
I'm going to be honest, this one just looks messy. It's got some interesting idea and nice looking bits, but overall it doesn't feel like a TF2 map.

I like the snowy urban idea, and your detail areas that aren't in playspace make it look really good, but the detail within the playspace isn't consistent. There's graffiti and papers scattered around that don't fit TF2's artstyle, and the lighting is far took dim in most areas. The building under construction looks like a strong wind could knock it down, definitely not OSHA approved. Don't get me started on spawning in a dev-textured room.

The geometry and some of the props don't make much sense. Why are there stairs leading up to garage doors? Why does a tunnel with tire tracks lead to the point? how did the shipping containers get here, and how were they stacked?

The sound work is okay, nothing special.

I understand the sort of falling apart city look, but I'm not sure it works here. Instead of using it to add interesting detail, it just adds clutter to the playspace.

The version I'm playing isn't packed and has missing cubemaps, but I don't think it would have scored higher if it was fixed. If the map had been a little bit cleaner and well lit, it could have been pretty good.

My favorite area is the out-of-bounds garage area with the truck. It looks more like TF2 because it's a bit cleaner and honestly has more interesting geometry than the playspace does. It doesn't really feel like a final point to a map, it feels like an area from Half-Life 2.

2/5
Not bad, not particularly good. I like the clean simplicity you have going on here, but it does seem a bit empty.
My main issues are that it's quite open and flat, there's no 3D skybox, and there's no soundscapes. It's eerily quiet.

Time to discuss the geometry. The layout is a bit dull and flat, though the brushwork on the buildings that do exist is great. There's no way out of the pit in spawn. The texture choices are pleasing and work well with the geometry.

I appreciate the bottles and cans being physics props, though I was sad that the bucket was not. The crates on the train are floating.

I don't have much else to say on this one. It feels like a generic late-alpha or early-beta TF2 map with an uninteresting layout. There's many more criticisms I'd have if gameplay was truly a concern, but it's not so I won't mention them.

3/5
This doesn't feel like a final control point, it feels (and acts) like a bad koth point. To me a koth point doesn't fit the idea of the contest, but I'll push that criticism to the side.

The displacements are kind of ugly. They all have the same texture repeated dozens of times, and they are jagged and uneven. It kind of works in the tunnels, but not outside. The best looking part of the map is Blu spawn.

The sound is okay, nothing noteworthy.

It's big, empty, and open. There's very little actual detail. The point itself is a neat idea, but ultimately underwhelming.

The river pushing you along is kind of neat, though the water and waterfall textures leave much to be desired.
It's hard for me to discuss this one because it doesn't feel like a TF2 map except for the textures and models. The layout is confusing.

2/5

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
The existing download has been updated with all the entries that were resubmitted.
If you have not yet voted, please do so now. Any remaining missing textures are staying.

Mar 23, 2013
The existing download has been updated

[about beefbucket's entry] You're very lucky that you were allowed to resubmit a properly packed version

Where is the updated download? Beefbucket has plenty of missing textures for me and I just used the download link from the OP and Freyja's "Voting Post", yet the textures are missing

Mar 23, 2013
Didn't we make a voting thread last time? I'd preffer we keep doing that in the future because I almost didn't see the voting as I rarely check these threads.

Anyway here is some feedback, mind that I took only little focus on gameplay/layout and more on aesthetics

Don't take low ratings too harshly, I had fun exploring all of them

Pretty good overall. I like the dark atmosphere, especially when you look outside.

I was a bit irritated by the fluon lights sometimes having three sprites and sometimes only two, it's a tad inconsitent and so are some of the room designs, but it's not too distracting.

4/5
It's looking a little bland. Especially if you look up. A higher ceiling, with a bit more details like support beams and rocks instead of a flat displacement would look better. Also the Lazzer thingy looks a bit weird. Usually you see it on top of something it's mounted on, but here it just sits there on the ground.

2/5
Maybe the displacements with the detail sprites could look more interesting, the bloom is a tad to strong and the skybox is a bit too basic and flat but otherwise it's looking solid

4/5
Lots of details all around the map, very well done. It would be perfect if you detailed the room under the CP and perhaps found a way to kill a player in a believeable way but the actual design around the point is great.

5/5
Well, it doesn't look like something that is part of the TF2 universe, but personally I only care about the design in detail contest as long it's using the TF2 artstyle. The place looks very mystical and the particles are amazing. I really like how the subtle clounds and rock particles add to the atmosphere the skybox creates. Though you should have changed the texture for the maya rocks to something more japanese, but they do the job as long you won't look at them too closly.

5/5
You have some good ideas to use the props with but what you are lacking are good ideas for details with brushes and props together. The whole area looks flat and empty. Try adding support beams and windows, and use different brushes with different textures. Giant walls with one texture on no detail don't cut it. Try getting more inspiration from other maps.

1/5
Don't use capital letters in your map names in the future. Linux systems have issues with them. Just saying.
The textures are rather inconsistent, the lighting very flat and the place is lacking a lot of detail. Like the empty path you stare down when you spawn and when you look up there is a metal pathway with no door or anything at all.
It looks like you had to rush this one for the deadline.

1/5
It's not overly impressive but I can imagine this bit in a real map. However there is not much, that really catched my eye. The part in the middle also was a tad empty.
Overall it's bit too generic for the detail contest but it looked good as a TF2 map.

3/5
I always find circular layouts impressive since they look so complex, and there is a lot of details in this one too. Its complexity makes it my favorite map in the contest. My only complain is that the snowy displacement cliffs at the top could look better.

5/5
I find the moonbase theme is hard to get right, because most textures look almost like dev-texture, since they are just so... basic/generic/flat? I don't like them. We probably won't get better textures until Valve finishes asteroid.
The theme with the overgrown spacebase is well done though even if the textures are too bland for my taste.

4/5
I think the map could really use more details in the architecture, the walls usually just one texture from top to bottom. The details like the broken stairs and blocked pathways are very nice however. It just is a bit small and the overall gemometry somewhat too simple.

3/5
Boy, you're killing my framerate! But I don't care for optimization in a detail contest, so I don't mind the particle spam at all.
The dev textured room was unecessary but I'm not judging it too, since it felt like just a "you attack from here"-sign and isn't part of what you actually want to showcase.

I really like the setting, really feels like old abandoned factories during winter. The warm lighting in of the fire in the cold enviroment looks great too.
But why is water coming out of a vent and why didn't you use particles for that? Well, that's a nitpick and overall I love the atmosphere.

5/5
Missing texture on the roof :/
The map is a little basic looking. Some parts could use more props as detail, more windows would be great, the skybox is empty and there is no sound.
You ended up with some flawed shadows because you aren't using better lighting compile settings.
You should check this out: http://www.nodraw.net/2010/12/lighting-compile-options/

I think you could have made a better impression with not much effort, since most of the flaws are easy to fix.

2/5
I like the setting you was going for but it isn't executed too well. I liked exploring the caves but it looks like you just used noise on the displacements so they all look very sharp and unrealistic. The skybox tree cards should use the same skin, it's weird how the trees have different colors. The real time reflective water looks great, but you should have take the VMT of it, and exchange the hl2 textures with the TF2 water textures, it would fit the artstyle better.

2/5

Last edited:

puxorb

L69: Emoticon
aa
Dec 15, 2013
I like the trend of posting our feedback here.

Mine was a bit lengthy and I was very harsh on the entries. Please don't get offended, its all in the name of better detailing and map-making.

The map is aesthetically pleasing, and the props make sense in the map. Certain details like the catwalks, roof beams, and ceiling pipes help ground it in reality and it feels alive.

I really love those brushwork handrails on the metal grate catwalks. They almost look like an actual prop.

Although the geometry feels sharp and angular when it could have been rounder, the detailing is consistent throughout. It feels like its part of a larger map, and it fits with the theme of TF2. The control point is the clear focus of the map and is easily accessible. Good work!

4/5
This entry relies too much on the use of one texture, so the entire map appears too bright. Some darker textures to help break up the monotony and give the player's eye a rest would have been nice.

The props and sound fit well in the map, but there are some strange inconsistencies. The air ducts have too many vents to maintain positive pressure, and I'm not sure why the control point sounds like an old tape-fed computer. I do really like the raygun and the pipes/conduits leading from the computers and the control point, however even in the "fixed" version, I'm still missing textures.

The frontline props look totally out of place here. They would make sense in a guard tower or barracks around the facility, but inside they don't.

As for the CP, your eye is easily drawn to the point itself thanks to the raised platform. I could see this as being part of a larger map but perhaps the doors are too small for any serious traffic. The room would benefit from being slightly larger.

3/5
This one has fantastic lighting, but the bloom is way too high. Some surfaces are pure white light for me.

I really like the theme of the buildings and a color scheme you chose. Simplicity is key. However, I feel like this is missing the details that make it feel like a used facility. There was no thought to how the different buildings get power, water, or other utilities. I see no pipes, conduits, or ducts anywhere.

The map definitely feels like its part of a larger map and fits the TF2 theme perfectly. Your eye is immediately drawn to the point because of its raised platform and stairs. I wish I could give it a higher rating but it really lacks some important details that even other plain-looking maps (Like cp_badlands) have.

One thing I love about it is the control room underneath the point. I just wish the CP had some other cool details like a trapdoor to get down there. (Think: Why would RED want to capture this?) Also the stairs leading up to the point are way too small! 8hu Tall x 12hu Wide is a good size, these look like 4hu tall.

3/5
There is a great selection of colors and textures used that compliment each other very well. The lighting is fantastic on this one as well. There are a lot of subtle details like the wooden supports and beams that really ground this in reality.

All of the props fit this map well and it feels cohesive. Its like cp_badlands and pl_badwater had a baby. This definitely feels like part of a larger map. The bomb hatch could probably use a spotlight focusing on it, but it does draw your eye easily.

I love the subtle (if unintentional) detail of incorporating the TF logo into the hatch design. I also like how thought was put into supplying the buildings with electricity and other utilities. The paint bucket and ladder with the paint patches on the wall next to it is a cool detail.

Overall this was a great entry.

5/5
This one looks fantastic, and has a great use of props, textures, particles, and sound effects. However, I don't think it fits with the TF2 theme very well.

The floating rocks really take you out of the game. Tf2 doesn't have any floating islands or mountains. The portal makes no sense in the map to be perfectly honest.

I don't really think this could be part of a larger map. I don't see anything else that its connected to, unless you expect everyone to come through the portal. If we were grading on visuals alone this would have scored much much higher.

Everything about it looks fantastic though. I love the butterflies and the trees the most. The control point hologram is also cool, but I don't see what is emitting it.

3/5
I hate being harsh but I have to be honest. This one is not very good.

To start off, it seems the UFO is casting a shadow on the entire CP room, as there is a giant black circle on the floor. The use of textures is confusing, and the colors don't compliment each other well. There are floor and wall textures on the ceilings, no crossbeams or trims on any of the plank walls, and the roof is so thick it would surely collapse under its own weight even with proper supports.

I'm not really sure what the appeal of capturing the point is. I guess BLU team can own a pile of tires and what looks like an elevator behind it.

The lighting is very boring and a bit too yellow for my liking.

I do think this looks like it could be a part of a larger map. Despite the weird detailing, the layout looks pretty good if perhaps a bit large.

I do like the detail of the overheated radiator on the truck outside, and the RED observation room looking over the point.

1/5
This one has some very weird detailing. Like the previous one, I'm not sure I like the use of textures. They seem...out of place, or clashing with the ones immediately next to them. The machines you built out of props and brushwork would look really cool if there weren't so many different textures.

Reflections weren't built for me so lots of things were white/shiny.

I would say this feels like part of a larger map, though a strange one to be sure. It feels like the entire thing is one large winding hallway. I'm not really drawn to the point except for the fact that the cart is parked a few feet away from it.

I like the plants in those glass viewing cases and the underground train that we are supposed to bomb. Your brushwork doors are neat. Those details are very cool.

2/5
This one looks really cool. The use of sound is pretty good and the lighting is very nice. The color scheme is very pleasing to the eye.

I was immediately drawn to the capture point because its the only white concrete in a sea of red bricks. I feel like it could use a little help though. Some red barrels would look great up on top of it, and maybe you could put a big red stripe on the lower area like the ones cp_gorge uses.

I really like the pipes, windows, and electrical lines that are present all around the map. I was really impressed by this. However, it does feel naked without a lot of stains and dirt patches. The walls almost look TOO clean. I think a large RED logo on one of the walls would be perfect.

I love the detailed interiors, the posters, the winding roads, and the curved walls. I think in the end it was just lacking a few small details like I mentioned above. Despite only getting a 4/5, this might be my favorite entry.

4/5
I'm not going to comment on my own entry because it feels wrong, but I think I did well.

5/5
I don't have a lot to say about this one really. I've never been a fan of the moon/asteroid base theme. I think the sound and your use of textures is good though.

The mix of overgrown vegetation and shiny metal sci-fi textures is pretty unique.
I don't know how well this fits with the theme of TF2, but its lit well and the control point is interesting (even if I don't know what I'm capturing).

It certainly feels like part of a larger map. I think the ammo and health spawn pads are pretty neato.

4/5
I wanted to like this one because I think the Egypt theme is cool. However, the lighting is very depressing; which is sad because you have an open hole at the top that could definitely be bigger to let in more natural light.

I don't think the arches fit very well. The bricks need to line up with the curve otherwise in real life this would just collapse. I love the parts where the brick has crumbled and you have filled it in with wooden planks, such as on the stairs. This makes it feel like an excavation was underway. I think more surveying/excavation equipment would help the theme out.

The point doesn't exactly capture my attention. I think it needs something big and red. The map feels like it could be part of a larger map with all of the passages around the point but I think the spawns are in a strange spot.

3/5
To start off with, the dynamic light you have placed near the fire was causing my framerate to dip very low. It also just looks bad lighting everything up.

I wasn't really drawn to the point, since there are no signs or anything indicating where it is, and the building its in is detailed the same as the others around it.

There is a lot of visual noise with all the bricks and chicken wire. There's nothing there for my eyes to 'rest' on. I think the HL2 ground litter overlays look really out of place here. The sound design is pretty okay.

I do like the snowy theme, the way that ground texture looks with the bricks and piles of snow. I also like the the snow tracks into the buildings with that one footprints overlay. The way you matched the textures to those consoles at the bottom of the giant pipes is really cool. I might have to steal that in the future. The light fixture in that same room looks really weird though. I don't think I've ever seen any real-life equivalent.

2/5
This one feels the most like it could be part of a larger map, in my opinion. The point is easily visible from many areas of the map.

The textures really work well with each other. The lighting is pleasing to the eye. The layout reminds me a lot of pl_inari and cp_granary.

I think the shape of some of the buildings is weird, and I feel like there could be more prop details. Pipes and conduits seem to the the ones people overlook.

There really wasn't anything else wrong with this one, I just felt that it didn't stand out. Great work overall.

4/5
Honestly this one is confusing to me. It doesn't feel like a finale at all. Its just a maze of tunnels and cliffs. The 'point' is just a block of wood with a payload cart on top. The layout almost feels like it could be king of the hill, but then its not symmetrical nor is it a finale.

The cliff texture is used on everything and at such a small scale that it repeats a thousand times. Although the river and waterfall are impressive, the textures are from HL2. The displacement work is not very good at all; everything is jagged and sharp.

The lighting is nice and the sound design is good, but I don't know what else to say really. I think this entry missed the point of the contest entirely.

1/5

Mar 23, 2013
I'm not going to comment on my own entry because it feels wrong

I wouldn't say it's wrong. You could give some comments about the developement like: what was the most difficult part, how you made certain areas, if you are still unsatisfied about certain things. Something like that

puxorb

L69: Emoticon
aa
Dec 15, 2013
I wouldn't say it's wrong. You could give some comments about the developement like: what was the most difficult part, how you made certain areas, if you are still unsatisfied about certain things. Something like that

I was thinking of doing exactly that. There are things I could critique about it but I want to hear from other people first. I like the raw neutral feedback. Giving an honest criticism of the other entries was a priority at the time of writing. Also it might come off as arrogant. (Though one could argue what I just said might as well).

RodionJenga

L5: Dapper Member
Oct 24, 2015
If people are posting their feedback and i have mine written out anyway i'll go ahead i guess.

I had a pet peeve about almost all instances of dustmotes and non-indicated invisible walls, but I didn't take them into account lol.

Also these were my informal notes so i probably spelled your name wrong
asg- Definitely getting that hydro/badlands/that russian bunker intel room from last year feel. Some textures don't line up. Can be hard to get from place to place. Would've liked to see more of the outside. A bit of snow inside.
viperi - like the color scheme/ theme. hole not built to fit laser, textures dont' line up. printer is very loud, hdr only :(
beefbucket - Blinded by the hdr. Looks like a standard map point; not really any sense of finality besides small computer room beneath point. Would buildings this fresh looking be in the middle of an oil field?. Plain skybox, but accurate to the oil field theme i suppose. Road doesn't match up.
exactol - The actual point seems tacked on. What does controlling the tree get you? the portal and japan gate don't seem to mesh that well, one is much more visually interesting. lighting and particles are good of course. Theme is intriguing.
gorgonzola- There's a weird dark shadow from the ufo even where it's blocked by the roof. The interiors feel empty and featureless, might have been better to make a smaller building. Invisible wall. Not really sure about the fluorescent lighting in this farm building setting
construction zombie- Good generic badlands/2fort stuff. Possibly accidental invisible wall. hdr a bit bright. Overall solid but not wowing
hosmi- Some of the architecture and texture choices i actually really like, but not all of them. The cubemaps don't seem to be there, which is too bad because that really detracts from the planters, which are cool. Ramp has sik curves. haphazard placement of 'clean' and 'dirty' textures. I don't get what the deadly dirt is supposed to be.
moonrat- good valve style, skybox is seamless, distinct red and blue sides, point seems understatedly final. some pipes seem to enter walls in unrealistic ways but eh
puxxorb- Very good. It's like nucleus 2.0 in a good way. My only critiques would be that it's a bit toooooo much like nucleus and some tile abruptly changes shinyness in one place.
quantum- Very good map-let with a creative theme. Some invisible walls but understandable, as there's no detail past. A nice laser across them'd do wonders for my pet peeviness
smallbiscuit- Small but solid, good subtle contrast brown livens up the egypt theme somewhat. I guess tunnels won't be collapsed in the "real map"?
smiley- pretty good theme. kinda jarring hl2 assets, a bit cluttery with the props. snow could start higher up. some snow inside. there's a microcrack. spawn is untextured
tierrra - The "red barn" is well made, and actually uses dustmotes appropriately. There's not much else there tho. The skybox is nearly empty. Spawn dropdowns makes me hope this "map" is arena lol
wolfen- Good explorability, but doesn't much resemble a tf2 map in layout. One missing model in the red spawn and the "cart with supplies" prop has no collisions. Why so much blood in blue spawn :|