How to install content packs or other custom content

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Resources' started by Yrr, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Yrr

aa Yrr An Actual Deer

Positive Ratings:
    There are two ways to install custom content for use in hammer, and I'm going to attempt to explain the hows and whys of each here.

[​IMG]

For the purposes of this, we're going to assume that the content pack is a root folder containing materials, models, etc subfolders. This is the standard structure for custom assets but you may find some that are two folders deep or just the models/ or materials/ subfolders. Hopefully you can figure out how these steps apply to those.

Adding To TF/Custom

[​IMG]

Pasting the root folder into tf/custom is by far the easiest method, and makes organisation of assets easier. It is also easier to maintain as, when a content pack is updated, you can simply delete the old version and add the new one.

The downside to this method is that certain packing tools won't find the custom folder automatically, and the assets will need to be located manually. This is not a problem if you are using CompilePal, CompilePal will find these assets regardless.

Merging With TF/

[​IMG]

Pasting the subfolders into the tf/ folder, merging the models folder with tf/models, the materials folder with tf/materials, etc is the old-school method, it is also considered the more "professional" method by some. Doing this ensures the assets are all in the same place, and thus are easily located by packing programs such as VIDE.

The downside of this method is that assets become substantially more difficult to organise. Being mixed in with all the other custom assets makes it harder to trace the origin of, update or delete an asset, if you haven't been keeping a list of what assets belong to what packs/authors.

Hopefully you find this useful and figure out which method of installation is right for you.

• Thanks Thanks x 11
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  2. xxBOBSAGET

xxBOBSAGET L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    thank you this with the compilepal saved me more time then anyting

3. kidwhix | tipofthehats

kidwhix | tipofthehats L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Neither worked for me, I installed compilepal but I dont understand how it works. Could I get a walkthrough on how to do it for compilepal?

4. DrLambda

aa DrLambda L69: Teeheehee, Member

Positive Ratings:
    Compilepal can do both of the methods described above. I'd advise using the custom folder. You open the map in Compilepal, choose your compile option, click on "PACK" and click the checkbox in the middle of the page that pops up. All custom content will now be packed into the map.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Yrr

aa Yrr An Actual Deer

Positive Ratings:
    Of course that requires clicking Compile too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. FunkEdge

FunkEdge L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I can't find tf/models. I found materials but not models

7. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    Make that folder.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Diddybot

Diddybot L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    What is this "Compilepal" that you speak of?

9. Izotope

aa Izotope Never releases maps

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Diddybot

Diddybot L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Now that I have the .zip downloaded, where do I extract it to? I was unable to find an installation guide.

11. Hyperion

aa Hyperion L16: Grid Member

Positive Ratings:
    It is a program, you don't have to place it in special location

12. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Translation: The creators couldn't be assed to make an installer for it.