Final Control Point - Detailing Mini Contest 2017

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
After some people requested it, I have decided to extend the date 1 week to July 31st to coincide with the end of the MvM contest. This will hopefully give you people (You know who you are) a bit of leeway on completing your entires but please budget your time in the future :p

The upload thread however has still gone up on schedule and you're free to upload your maps now, so if you've already finished maybe consider doing a bit of polish with the extra week!

Gorgonzilla

L3: Member
Dec 1, 2016
I have two displacement brushes connecting that look fine in hammer, but in game they are different shades, will I lose marks for this, even tho there isn't anything I think I can do to make it smooth?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k46fls9jptizctt/the route.JPG?dl=0 (that's it in hammer)
20170701141440_1.jpg (that's it in game)
For now I'll just cover it with a wooden plank.

Wolfen

L1: Registered
Jan 24, 2010
Had a few last minute weird glitches like that actually, figure I'll just destroy the geometry and rebuild it in my own time afterwards.

I designed the map backwards, figuring out the ending first and now I gotta figure out how it starts and the middle. All I know is my goal is to make an almost white water rapids version of Snowplow. I love the idea that one team is trying to push a cart, but not in the traditional way.

Thank you Freyja for the opportunity, this was a very fun, and interesting contest.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
Voting is now up!

Due to using a google form this time, I'm not posting a seperate thread for it. Any concerns about the voting or form should be posted here.

Click to Vote!

A link to download all the maps as a pack can be found here.

Last edited:

Asd417

Sample Text
aa
Mar 20, 2016
Why do all maps have broken lighting, missing texture and cubemaps?? I've disabled my fps config and upped my settings to max.
Edit: nvm it must be my fps config. Which is weird because Asg's map was fine

Last edited:

puxorb

L69: Emoticon
aa
Dec 15, 2013
Please please please vote on all of the maps.

Are we allowed to vote on our own entry/should we? I don't see a rule against it but it almost feels like cheating to me since it can be totally anonymous. (Also, is there a cap to the number of times a person can vote? I feel like it could be abused unless google keeps record of your IP)

Hosomi

Jun 15, 2016
Please please please vote on all of the maps.

Are we allowed to vote on our own entry/should we? I don't see a rule against it but it almost feels like cheating to me since it can be totally anonymous. (Also, is there a cap to the number of times a person can vote? I feel like it could be abused unless google keeps record of your IP)
I would assume common decency prevents you from voting on your own submission, let alone multiple times

Construction Zombie

L2: Junior Member
Nov 5, 2015
It appears that the voting form requires votes on every map, including your own. If I were to merely guess, put down how well you think you did? Either that or contestants shouldn't be voting on other contestants to begin with.

Hosomi

Jun 15, 2016
It appears that the voting form requires votes on every map, including your own. If I were to merely guess, put down how well you think you did? Either that or contestants shouldn't be voting on other contestants to begin with.
True, we have a dillema now

puxorb

L69: Emoticon
aa
Dec 15, 2013
It seems, at least for me that some of the maps in here got missing content. @Beef Bucket @Tierra-Verde @Wolfen @Exactol and @Smiley the Smile all had missing content in their entries
For some it was just a few props.
Though, you can't exactly vote on something you can't see, so should it count against?

And I just noticed that all the maps' voting sections are required. Reading before posting would make me look less like an idiot lol. I guess we should just be honest about our own work, as Construction Zombie suggested, because I really want to vote on everyone else's submissions.

Aug 30, 2015
Nothing to see here folks

Attachments

• finale2017_beefbucket.bsp
    10 MB · Views: 187
Aug 30, 2015
It's NOT a reupload, it's an ALTERNATE BSP that happens to be properly packed that I decided to post here for no reason at all