Deliverance

Deliverance b3

Vilepickle

Banned
Oct 25, 2007
You can add a servercommand entity that puts the bonus crits to 0, that's the most elegant solution I've found :\

I actually used it in my map just because it's such a horrible horrible feature. If a server prefers it on for other CTF maps so be it, they can have it in their server config.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
The map is supposed to be run in tournament mode with the bonus crits setting off by default for all ctf maps (atleast in the TF2maps servers)...

Other than that, most invade maps i've seen have implemented flag respawn delays to prevent steam rolling, this wasn't exactly introduced to counter intel crits, however.

Remember, the existing ctf rules are based on 24 player public play, the crits were introduced to create a reason for capturing the objective because it was so hard (and effectively pointless), and to prevent stalemates+reward the winning team. As far as Valve is concerned, the feature is warranted and balanced. We're dealing with modes and setups outside of standard play so it's unsurprising we end up with conflicting mode rules such as intel crits in invade mode ctf that unbalance/undermine its base mechanics.

Last edited:

Vilepickle

Banned
Oct 25, 2007
The map is supposed to be run in tournament mode with the bonus crits setting off by default for all ctf maps (atleast in the TF2maps servers)...

Other than that, most invade maps i've seen have implemented flag respawn delays to prevent steam rolling, this wasn't exactly introduced to counter intel crits, however.

Remember, the existing ctf rules are based on 24 player public play, the crits were introduced to create a reason for capturing the objective because it was so hard (and effectively pointless), and to prevent stalemates+reward the winning team. As far as Valve is concerned, the feature is warranted and balanced. We're dealing with modes and setups outside of standard play so it's unsurprising we end up with conflicting mode rules such as intel crits in invade mode ctf that unbalance/undermine its base mechanics.

Oh I'm aware of the comp configs too. It's just a terrible feature all around, even on 24 public, so it can DIAF as far as I'm concerned. Those reasons CAN be valid but I think the bonus crits cross too much into the realm of level design more than just general game balance which is bad. Especially since as a game feature it should be "balanced for all scenarios". Luckily we can force it off.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Myself and Shmitz have emailed Valve asking for them to add the ability for crit bonus to be toggled by map authors. You should do the same, Vile. Hopefully with enough attention brought to it they'll get it sorted out like they did with Icaru's request to allow particles to be flagged as weather.

Vilepickle

Banned
Oct 25, 2007
I sent one.

Feb 14, 2008
I really enjoyed playing this, but there is one teensy problem I have with the visuals - the chunky staircases. The steps are like double the size of steps in other maps, and quite a few look like they need trims on the side. Can you please... dechunk them?

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
I figured I'd post this, because it might interest someone.

So one of the things I did for the texture of the drill was to print out the UV wireframe and physically "paint" over it. However, this texture is to simulate weathering, wear, and a sloppy paint job. Additionally, I don't really know how to use the weird paints we have around here, so I didn't.

Instead what I did was this:
1) Used a foam brush (very, very cheap at any local craft store like Micheal's) to apply several layers of Elmer's glue to the shapes. I generally brushed in the direction that real paint would have been applied to those surfaces, because the glue will ultimately serve as an underlying texture for the color. Fewer layers would mean a more porous surface, which ultimately would result in a darker, harsher smudge. More layers would give a smoother, lighter effect. Being careless and sloppy about applying the glue is pretty much spot on with a good TF2 feel. :)

2) I took a Sharpie permanent marker (I'm not sure if this works with other brands!) and started scribbling on the surfaces, generally in the same directions as I applied the glue. Most of the time the marker would look sloppy and uneven, and possibly even too dense in some spots. This was ok, because it wouldn't really matter for the next step.

3) I used a second foam brush and got it wet with rubbing alcohol. Sharpies dissolve in the stuff! Brushing over the sharpie, I got a whole nice beautiful mess of runny, splotchy brown.

4) I then scanned it (alternately I could have taken a picture with a good camera), brought it into photoshop, and used it for a couple different filtering and adjustment layers.

The other nice thing is that I can reuse it in other materials by copying and pasting various regions of it.

Micnax

Back from the dead (again)
aa
Apr 25, 2009
brilliant.jpg