Deliverance

Deliverance b3

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
What I can see from the screenshots, is that it's looking really good. But something stumps me: the lack of props.

This was just the first detailing pass, working out form and texture (no more dev textures, yay!). Lights, supports, windows, gutters, chimney pipes, etc will come in the next version.

I thought about trying to do it all in one lump, but there ARE some significant gameplay changes that need testing, and the end of the contest draws near, so I thought it prudent to get something out that people could play.

Sep 12, 2008
This was just the first detailing pass, working out form and texture (no more dev textures, yay!). Lights, supports, windows, gutters, chimney pipes, etc will come in the next version.

I thought about trying to do it all in one lump, but there ARE some significant gameplay changes that need testing, and the end of the contest draws near, so I thought it prudent to get something out that people could play.

Aha, thanks for the clarification. I was kind of confused by the B1, and I immediately linked it to a fully detailed map. My appologies.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
One thing you notice when the sky is overcast is that there's a complete lack of shadows off buildings and other structures.

Your primary ambience seems pretty high for the skybox you've chosen, your shadows are pretty defined and the map is eerily bright as a result. I know shadows are a nice aesthetic to have, but your map doesn't need them because of the choice of weather/ambience, and having them is only detrimental to your maps overall aesthetics.

Last edited:

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
BETA 2
* More detailing!
* Adjusted a lot of lights.
* Added skybox.
* Removed porpoise bird from soundscape.
* Swapped small healths and ammos in mid.

DOWNLOAD

ctf_deliverance_b2_bludrill.jpg

ctf_deliverance_b2_blumid1.jpg

ctf_deliverance_b2_middle.jpg

ctf_deliverance_b2_redmid1.jpg

ctf_deliverance_b2_redmountain.jpg

ctf_deliverance_b2_redspawn.jpg

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
What is the cap point supposed to be anyway; I really hope it's not done :\

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
It's a manned drill piece as far as i'm aware.

The sunlight looks too acute, looking from where the light comes through the sky and the angle of the shadows on the buildings, they should be longer.

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
It's a manned drill piece as far as i'm aware.

The sunlight looks too acute, looking from where the light comes through the sky and the angle of the shadows on the buildings, they should be longer.

That's a weird thing about the sawmill and pipeline skys, both of them have really bad lighting info. Sawmill's comes from a direction other than the really bright patch and pipeline's misses the moon by several degrees and (I think) is too bright/dark (I can't remember which >.<)

advertise man!
http://etf2l.org/forum/maps/
http://www.gotfrag.com/tf2/forums/205/

I do not like your solution in the smooth cave. Even with the trusses and being unnaturally hollowed out it still looks too smooth:mellow:

Also, still trying to cache a particle "waterfall_bottomfoam"

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
ctf_deliverance_b30000.jpg

ctf_deliverance_b30003.jpg

As i mentioned earlier in the chat the centre of your map can get a bit choppy on the frame rate. But i can see that you've largely gone fo routside areas which are harder (but not impossible) to optimise. Assuming you've taken the obvious areaportal and hint steps you might consider using some occluders. I've highlighted 2 walls that might be worth overlaying with an occluder. I'm sure you can find others by exploring with mat_wireframe enabled, but other than the middle area the map seemed to render nicely.

ctf_deliverance_b30001.jpg

ctf_deliverance_b30001b.jpg

ctf_deliverance_b30002.jpg

ctf_deliverance_b30002b.jpg

PMAvers

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 29, 2008
Played b3 a bit last night w/full teams.

While the concept seemed to go over okay with people, a few things stood out.

The bonus crits on capture seemed to turn the rounds into steam-rolls, since when you'd be running back from the enemy capture point to the flag again you'd be passing by the enemy spawns and just roll them with the bonus, leaving the flag open to be captured again, getting the crits again (sometimes they were capturing before the crit effect even wore off)... Turned the capture limit off for a round, and the score was something like 1-10 before we changed maps.

Part of me wonders if a slight delay on the flag re-spawning after a capture would help any.

A few people mentioned that it felt rather large for what it was trying to do, and that it could use some streamlining. Don't necessarily agree with it, but just relaying comments.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
The bonus crits on capture seemed to turn the rounds into steam-rolls...

This is true of any Invade map which makes me really wish Valve would allow us to disable bonus crits. They're completely game breaking.

Passerby

L2: Junior Member
Mar 27, 2010
This is true of any Invade map which makes me really wish Valve would allow us to disable bonus crits. They're completely game breaking.

it was a stupid idea in the first place, if the opposing team talks to each other at all they will wait to cap till they have people in position to storm the flag so the other team loses a flag and get wiped out and there flag taken again & rinse and repeat.

edit: love the map iv only played a 4v4 lan game with it so far but it plays well and looks amazing.

the critboost thing is game breaking and i find that some of the routes to the cap point are too direct and it can be capped to fast

Last edited: