Candyland

PL Candyland test6c

Tiftid

the Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
aa
Sep 10, 2016
If you really wanna make CP1 defendable all you'd need to do is something like this:
1678575315390.png

This'd give RED an obvious and strong sentry spot, really fast rotate and retreat times, and the ability to actually rotate past the main route without getting obliterated by spam and snipers, which as the map is now requires RED to backtrack almost to their spawn. Although I see a new displacement which shortens that a little.

If you're worried that this would make CP1 too easy to defend, I reckon you shouldn't be, since points with a really easy forward hold and hard backward hold tend to work out as pretty easy for BLU in the end, since it really only takes them one medigun right-click to capture.

By the way, the new sentry cubby on CP1 is a good addition at heart, but it doesn't leave engineers who set up in it any retreat option, and it's not big enough to escape a rocket's splash damage, so actually building in there is a doomed venture.

I think the main thing about A is that I think people have a very different vision of the A backward hold compared to what I always experienced playing the map:
1678576388266.png

After making several A/D and Payload maps, I have learned time and time again that I can't just put the forward hold and backward hold 512 units away from each other. So, as a rule, I now always have 5 seconds of walk time between the forward and backward hold.

If on this map, I walk 5 seconds from the furthest-back part of the forward hold, this is where I end up:
1678576600268.png

Extrapolating that, I can even draw the bounds of the forward and backward hold areas:
1678576724047.png

Now, I can't say for sure whether you think the backward hold is where I think other people think it is, or whether you think it is where I've drawn it.
But I have a pretty good idea that you think it's the former, because the area I've drawn as the backward hold looks a lot like it's designed as BLU's lobby to attack B.
Saying that RED losing is some kind of skill issue because they're trying to hold that area is really not fair in my eyes, because like I said in an earlier screenshot, after the forward hold is lost, the surviving RED players really just want to retreat to an area where they won't immediately have to fight BLU, and by the time they've healed up, BLU is already knocking on the doors of the area RED retreated to.

There's also one thing that always bugged me about the CP1 forward hold:
How is BLU supposed to avoid a sniper who uses this angle?
1678577670646.png

I reckon you should add a third spawn exit and make it look like this:
1678578893660.png

Also, what is this map's obsession with placing these sentry/health cubbies in major sightlines so they're not safe to enter at all?
This whole area feels back-to-front somehow, like it'd be way more fun to defend if BLU was actually coming from the current RED spawn area.
1678578892825.png

And that's about all the gameplay feedback I have for now.
I might eventually make another post about the map's aesthetic.
The tl;dr for that I can give you straight away is that I would like to see the sunlight made more yellowish.
I tried to AI-generate a bunch of images with better colours as examples but somehow they all turned out looking pretty horrible.
I have a basic idea of how this community feels about AI art, so I didn't want to worsen its reputation by posting any but the best images it can create.
Still, here are a couple of the images I made:
candyland_step01a_007.png

candyland_step01a_001.png

And here's a quick modification of pl_mysteriousvmf_test1:
1678580128980.png

Last edited:

Sonoma

tf_logic_lesbian
aa
May 12, 2020

Sonoma

tf_logic_lesbian
aa
May 12, 2020

Sonoma

tf_logic_lesbian
aa
May 12, 2020
Sonoma updated Candyland (Stage 2) with a new update entry:

United

I got bored and people were asking for it so....
|merged both stages together for the first time, map is now properly multistage, when we work on stage 3 the download will become single stage once more
|optimizations

|increased the time added after capping s-1 cp1 back to 5:30 to standardize with other multi-stage pl maps in the...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Sonoma

tf_logic_lesbian
aa
May 12, 2020
Sonoma updated Candyland with a new update entry:

Visual Fixes

This update addresses some of the visual bugs introduced in the merge
|hopefully fixed an issue where the stage 2 skybox texture would not properly switch over
|fixed missing overlays

|fixed misaligned textures
|fixed an issue with the stage 1 HUD having the cart path appear longer than it actually is
|fixed...

Sonoma

tf_logic_lesbian
aa
May 12, 2020

Sonoma

tf_logic_lesbian
aa
May 12, 2020

Sonoma

tf_logic_lesbian
aa
May 12, 2020

Minor things

|changed the placement of RED's resupply locker on stage 2 to be closer to the exits
|fixed a prop that should've had collision
|fixed a stuck spot
|made the trench on stage 1 cp2 easier to get out of
|pickup changes I think?
|visual changes and fixes
|updated 3D skybox to be bigger and have more rolling hills in the distance

Sonoma

tf_logic_lesbian
aa
May 12, 2020

Majorish changes

|changed pickup size and placment
|fixed bug where the Balloonicorn wouldn't play his jingle sounds on stage 2
|added cover to some engie spots on stage 2
1682046189371.png
1682046193824.png

|altered cover on the cake on stage 1 to allow for jumps up to the hut roof
1682046202214.png

|altered an area by stage 2 cp2 to have more highground over the point
1682046209613.png

Sonoma

tf_logic_lesbian
aa
May 12, 2020

Sonoma

tf_logic_lesbian
aa
May 12, 2020

Sonoma

tf_logic_lesbian
aa
May 12, 2020

RED BUFFS

+added suspicious staircase to stage 2 cp2, to help RED players clear out BLU's flank with ease
|fixed various visual bug, introduced more probably

|updated skybox textures
|nudged RED's spawnpoint forward on stage 1
|altered RED's stage 1 spawn to have less...

Sonoma

tf_logic_lesbian
aa
May 12, 2020

Sonoma

tf_logic_lesbian
aa
May 12, 2020

Sonoma

tf_logic_lesbian
aa