A Heavy Update 8/19/08

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
i play heavy about 100% of the time i play and i was REALLY looking forward to this update, in fact i kinda stopped playing hoping this update would get me back in.

I'm pretty upset/bummed.

Maybe im looking at it the wrong way but an achievement should be something you are proud of and a good 90% of these are a damn joke that UNLESS you ARE farming the stats, you would never, never have a chance to get...

WTB:::: Vanilla TF2 back >.<

edit: and a slow weap? Other then flag defense i've never needed a slow, if anything better dps at range or slower but higher dps close up. but a slow? lol. lol... oye lol...

Last edited:

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
What is Vanilla tf2?

TF2 without stupid MMORPG stat ailments. 'Cause vanilla is just a plain flavor, see, but it tastes great at the same time.

(Honestly, though, I've liked all of Valve's class updates so far, but the Heavy? Not so much)

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
while i think a dramatically different type of gun would have much more interesting the slow down thing isn't completely useless, just some fun things off the top of my head...
1) characters would be completely unable to strafe around any heavy using this gun (could help out heavies with low sensitivities...)
2) tis another fun way to screw over ubers, picture a uber pyro running towards the point from a bit of an open area, use the gun and laugh while they accomplish nothing
3) think of the new voices that could come with it, I would immensely enjoy the heavy yelling "Who's slow now!!" while firing the gun
4) 25% reduction is just about nothing, ooo it will take you half a second longer to kill someone, not to mention someone moving really slowly
5) this is the real kicker, suppose the speed reduction doesn't just slow their walking speed but their rate of fire as well o_O

stubby

L1: Registered
Aug 13, 2008
At least on of the new maps(with the new game mode)

Will be forest theme.

you heard me right.

no more dumb western theme for us!

look at the blurred Background.

Proof:

Forestmap.jpg

there you go.

Last edited:

Dox

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 26, 2007
Wow, I really think valve INTENDS to give all these things away one day early, like the sniper "meet the" video giving away the flare gun...

nossie

L3: Member
May 9, 2008
i hope it is a forest theme im getting bored of western dessert themes... (did i spell that wrong?...)

Vander

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Feb 16, 2008
"I'm a heavy. I don't do a whole lot of damage against enemies that are far away. Let me use a weapon to make it harder for them to get closer!"

You could say it makes it harder for them to run away?

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

L10: Glamorous Member
Apr 12, 2008
Yeah, I would have to agree with Vander's idea. You basically need to ambush an enemy, and then they couldn't flee. And nossie, its desert. You always know its dessert, because you want more (ice cream, cake, pie, etc).

stubby

Aug 13, 2008
i dont think so. those rock formations are the give away they have almost no noise in the texture. and the look like a reskin of the ones we have currently.

Hawk

L7: Fancy Member
Dec 3, 2007
Maybe im looking at it the wrong way but an achievement should be something you are proud of and a good 90% of these are a damn joke that UNLESS you ARE farming the stats, you would never, never have a chance to get...

You think so? I was thinking that the Heavy achievements were more conducive to team progress and victory than those of the Medic and Pyro. Also, a LOT less contrived. I mean, look at the Medic: Kill 5 enemies with an undeployed uber? Get five bonesaw hits without missing? I think the Heavy has a much smaller ratio of counterproductive achievements.

In fact, the only Heavy achievements I consider counterproductive are the one where you taunt while uber, and the one where you kill with a taunt. Communist Mani-fisto and Borscht Belt would be counterproductive if the KGB wasn't making melee a valid attack option. And it seems like all the rest will happen eventually if you're playing well.

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
exactly, most of the pyro one was like that too, well...enough anyways that you could get all the weapons

and fists are fun to use as heavy...
oh...and 5 bonesaw hits in a row isn't that much of a problem...I mean, have you people never had melee fights while trying to fill up a server?

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I suppose Natascha would be vicious on A/D maps. Not so much ctf.

I also agree with Hawk. Most of the medic achievements meant running off to do near suicidal "activities", or trying to enact what would be purely circumstantial events; and getting themselves killed.

TriadAlfa

May 20, 2008
Natascha might be handy also for that more open payload map. On open spaces it might be good stopping rushing if you have some backups finishing slowed enemies.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Where mah update Valve?

Thanks to time zones, I guess I'll have to check it tomorrow then. :p

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
yea they are taking a little longer than usual.