A Heavy Update 8/19/08

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

L10: Glamorous Member
Apr 12, 2008
I love steel, and its become very popular on my main server. I just wonder what that means for the author. Does he ever get to update it if there was an issue? I mean, it was only b4, and there were things that would have needed to be fixed in another version (camera over point E anyone?).

Also, overall it sounds pretty cool. Glad to hear it.

Chilly

L6: Sharp Member
May 3, 2008
I sent an email to Valve about a month ago recommending that Hydro be changed to Rocket Arena style, where the entire map is sudden death. That would make the game style "Last Man Standing". I'm guessing the "5 arenas" fits with this, since that's EXACTLY what RA2 and RA3 were... multiple arenas per map, each as LMS. I wonder when those cvars went in... do I get to claim credit for recommending it? ;)

Dox

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 26, 2007
I love steel, and its become very popular on my main server. I just wonder what that means for the author. Does he ever get to update it if there was an issue? I mean, it was only b4, and there were things that would have needed to be fixed in another version (camera over point E anyone?).

Also, overall it sounds pretty cool. Glad to hear it.

kind of like Turbine, those spawn doors need playerclipping but that wont happen now.

New gametype? 5 new Arenas? WCCS anyone?

Vander

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Feb 16, 2008
kind of like Turbine, those spawn doors need playerclipping but that wont happen now.

I'll bet the author could persuade Valve into putting it in with an update. If it were my map and I needed to fix things, I would be begging to be allowed in with the next update.

Hawk

L7: Fancy Member
Dec 3, 2007
Well, Valve has issued updates to their own maps. I don't see why they wouldn't allow adjustments to the custom maps. It just probably won't happen through the channels we mappers are used to (like a beta release on FPSBanana or something).

Acutally, it's nice this way. If Steel is ever updated, EVERYONE gets the update no matter what, because it would be in the official update.

Jazz

L5: Dapper Member
Mar 9, 2008
This is kind of weird.

The pyro update made servers a spy hell, but this update will make the servers a spy heaven!

Buzzy

L1: Registered
Aug 9, 2008
Well, Valve has issued updates to their own maps. I don't see why they wouldn't allow adjustments to the custom maps. It just probably won't happen through the channels we mappers are used to (like a beta release on FPSBanana or something).

Acutally, it's nice this way. If Steel is ever updated, EVERYONE gets the update no matter what, because it would be in the official update.

Well they did fix performance issiues on fastlane, I don't know if the creator did them or valve had something to do with it.
My guess is that valve will support those maps any way they can.

About the update everybody is going ; pyro heaven, spy heaven.
But what will the new weapons bring to prevent that? :cool1:

Laz

L420: High Member
Jul 5, 2008
Could it be? that they will re-introduce the yellow team?
could that be the new enviroment thing?

red=> woody farmy miny thingies
blu=> industrial factory thingies
yellow=> new style?

new video: Meet the civilian? :)

Last edited:

Bonafide

Mar 18, 2008
5 new maps for a new game mode (and a new payload map)? They wont have made 5 maps ala goldrush complexity. It will be something quick and easy then.

My guess is ............ Death Match.

oxy

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 27, 2007
I too was wondering if they would release a third color.

Sometimes I think it would have been better for them to release 2 opposing classes at once. ie Sniper and Scout or Heavy and Spy.

That way things wouldn't be totally outta wack with just one class running around.:unsure:

Bonafide

Mar 18, 2008
if you go to the main site and click "view image" on the achievement pictures, it basically gives you a description of what the achievement entails.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Achievements! I hope they're going to upload the achievements info today, even though it says "coming soon". :S

I love the names, though.

Bonafide

Mar 18, 2008
read what I just wrote. You can see exactly what the achievements entail by just viewing the images. Just doesnt have exact numbers.

cornontheCoD

L420: High Member
Mar 25, 2008
"stalin the Kart" = best achievement name ever
:thumbup:

and I really hope that the 5 "arena" matches aren't deathmatch

NumbersAndNoise

L1: Registered
Jul 14, 2008
tf_heavy_eat_sandwiches?

Don't Touch Sandvich is just a scout-killing achievement, but that filename is the descriptor for Konspicuous Konsumption. Hmm...