WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
This is how im keeping in bounds, I would assume everyone's doing it but this is what I like to use.

I just lay a 2048hu wide, 64hu tall block at the bottom of my map. Works like a charm

Hyperion

L16: Grid Member
aa
Jun 8, 2015
This detailing contest is awesome
B0jJZlV.jpg

And that is TF2, not SFM or anything

Bull

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 30, 2011
Been ages since I mapped, but hey I'm back with another payload project because what else would i do

dtrhGAQ.jpg

1ZYASBL.jpg

bWtz0IW.jpg

Lain

lobotomy success story
aa
Jan 8, 2015
870a586a0f.jpg

Early A site for a steel-type level i'm working on while I try to fix Uptown (btw if anyone knows how to work staged payload logic hmu thanks)

RavenStryker

Former Alias: †Blade†/Xi.Cynx
aa
Nov 25, 2008

RavenStryker

Former Alias: †Blade†/Xi.Cynx
aa
Nov 25, 2008
Guess we'd need to know a little bit more about what issues he is running into then. @Lain PM me with some more details if you want.

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
Here's a quick fullbright preview of my contest entry.

Any feedback/suggestions?

Aug 2, 2015
wowowow that sightline on A in the last picture (going from a to the upper windowed area)
fix eet

Aug 2, 2015
Sightlines aren't inherently bad. This doesn't even look as advantageous as Badwater's sniper window.
nah i'm not talking about the windows themselves, i'm talking about the corridor underneath

Moonrat

nothing left
aa
Jul 30, 2014
gx596Lx.png

Barring the odd lighting glitch on that wood shit, what do you guys think of this early WIP? I'm thinking it needs color, but ehh.

Lain

lobotomy success story
aa
Jan 8, 2015
gx596Lx.png

Barring the odd lighting glitch on that wood shit, what do you guys think of this early WIP? I'm thinking it needs color, but ehh.

looking really bland right now, not enough variety in detailing, every house still looks like 64 grid hammer blocks, one solid color across everything, the lighting is poor and doesn't give the textures enough light.

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
gx596Lx.png

Everything in the middle (the table, support and top bit) look so chunky, and the stairs could use being about half the size vertically (so having 4 steps instead of 2). They also look like 1:1 stairs which is a bad thing to get into generally (can't remember the desirable ratio but it's something like 2:3 or 3:5; experimenting is best as it is case-by-case). Also is that a lighting bug on the black thing in the middle?

Some variations on the brick texture for different buildings would be good as someone mentioned, you should also play about with more height variation on the floor (steps, cellars etc.) and add displacement to the grass.

Moonrat

nothing left
aa
Jul 30, 2014
Everything in the middle (the table, support and top bit) look so chunky, and the stairs could use being about half the size vertically (so having 4 steps instead of 2). They also look like 1:1 stairs which is a bad thing to get into generally (can't remember the desirable ratio but it's something like 2:3 or 3:5; experimenting is best as it is case-by-case). Also is that a lighting bug on the black thing in the middle?

Some variations on the brick texture for different buildings would be good as someone mentioned, you should also play about with more height variation on the floor (steps, cellars etc.) and add displacement to the grass.
I have no idea what the lighting on the porch is doing. It updates based on player location, as when I entered a differently lit area, it'd change lighting aswell..

It's a func_detail, and I've never seen this happen in one of my maps before.

looking really bland right now, not enough variety in detailing, every house still looks like 64 grid hammer blocks, one solid color across everything, the lighting is poor and doesn't give the textures enough light.

I'm planning on adding trims and other messy details to take away from the blandness, and some overlays and such to add color into it.