Zinkenite

CP Zinkenite B3a

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Zig sky and lighting. 2fort is too bright and happy, I like how washed out the Zig skybox makes everything feel, very Ep2-y.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Here's a picture at night, just because I said I would try it, and for the hell of it. The lights are not set up to handle it whatsoever, and the light_environment is cranked up really high.

zig_at_night.jpg

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
I don't like it, Make it bright and never look back.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
I'm with you there Ravidge, I'm not really looking to make a night map.

Sep 1, 2009
On the one hand the light does really add to the wow factor but, overall I feel zig is better fitted with a day theme as it suits the style better.

owly-oop

im birb
aa
Apr 14, 2009
The nighttime was good on the older pl_zig because it was a map about an autistic person's brain while on heroin. I think the nighttime would be better if mostly every lightsource was a crystal, but since that's not the case here, go with daytime.

For the lighting, have you tried changing 2fort's lighting so the ambiance is more purple? I think that'd give neat results.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
For the lighting, have you tried changing 2fort's lighting so the ambiance is more purple? I think that'd give neat results.

Well I'd like to--the issue is in colors...

My fancy art school edumaction tells me that there's a fundamental problem in going from a yellow lighting source like 2fort to a purple one. They're complimentary colors. What this means is when you have saturated yellow color, and you want to desaturate it, you add some of the compliment, so violet. What this does is bring the saturation down so the yellow is less vibrant. The more you add, the closer you come to a neutral gray color--and that doesn't work. You want your light color to have a good saturation to it, but not too much. Having no saturation is almost worse.

So I guess it really makes a difference when you go from a purple light source to a yellow one. It's nearly ironic that I picked complimentary colors, though--this is a good idea. When you have a big contrast between sky color and ground color, you usually end up with fantastic visual results. A good practical application is to look at almost any tf2 desert themed map with a blue sky--what's the compliment of blue? Orange. There's a ton of orange/red/yellow warm colors that contrast with the blue desert sky. I'm thinking that if I crank up both yellow saturation in the light color, and make the sky violet more vibrant, I could have some interesting results.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Have you thought about making it take place at dusk? That seems like a time of day that would be the most likely to have saturated purple to it without being too saturated, and it would afford some creative opportunities for some artificial lighting without resorting to a full-on night map. As an added bonus, it's a time of day you almost never see used.

One drawback is the long shadows, but you might be able to solve that by making it a rather cloudy dusk.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Well the steep angle of the lighting setup as is implies either dawn or dusk. So take that as you will.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
More shots, this time of red spawn,

detail_pass_030.jpg

And the area behind it, which will become Blu spawn for stage 2,

detail_pass_029.jpg

And the first area looking into the sun, with env_sun and my happily committed final choice for lighting.

detail_pass_031.jpg

More later!

Languid

L5: Dapper Member
Oct 9, 2009
Of those comparison shots you did I think that zig is the best one by far, with zig + 2fort lighting next. The faint purple light and sky is a really original thing and I think you should stick with that, with possibly only a bit more brightness to help colour the scene better