Zinkenite

CP Zinkenite B3a

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.

PMAvers

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 29, 2008
So yeah, the first two stages are looking good.

2-B could definitely use some signage telling you where to go post-A, though. That was a massive piece of confusion, and I never really got to fight at B. All the fighting took place in the build-up to B, and someone somehow snuck through and capped.

3, though. That choke after 3-A is massive. One door that you have to get through.

EDIT: Also, just had some players get spawned into a locked spawn at the start of Stage 3.

Screenshot.

Last edited:

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
O:

Very cool beatz! Yes I would like the high res version if you have it.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Update to beta 1

Hooray! Let's play (post feedback and bugs if you find them)!

I would like to thank the following for their thoughts, knowledge, and feedback.

Languid, Supertoaster, Icarus, and YM, for layout feedback
yyler, supertoaster, for detail feedback
goombac, vincent, seba, grazr, leswordfish, frozen, wankhouse, plipplop, for visual feedback
matt, for the godly info on vertex lighting
grazr, schwa, for gameplay feedback
yyler, littleedge, for clipping feedback
doom/sergis, for optimization feedback
Fubar, Frozen, Plipplop, Penguin for b1 inspection
Mangycarface, for visleaf and optimization feedback

A Boojum Snark for his FGD and Prop Library.

All the people who left map feedback via tf2m feedback system, and TF2Maps.net and the admin and site staff for hosting both the contest and supporting development by having regular tests, game servers, and all around the best TF2 community for map development out there.

And the players! Hooray for Team Fortress 2.

(Check below for other download options)

And now here are some obligatory promotional images:

zinkenite_promotional_01.jpg

zinkenite_promotional_02.jpg

zinkenite_promotional_03.jpg

Here are alternate download links for your happiness:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1293763/cp_zinkenite_b1.bsp.bz2

or .zip:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1293763/cp_zinkenite_b1.zip

If you have any questions or comments you can leave them here in this thread. If you have additional q's or c's, please do not hesitate to email me at Kreeger242@missouristate.edu.

Last edited:

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
Hot damn.

I was impressed.

Still am.

As I have said, I think all you need is a wicked firing of that laser if red wins, and if blu wins, it should charge but then explode instead!

Other notes:
I sent you a few screenshots with bad prop fades pointed out.
Also, coming out of RED's spawn, the location of 2-2 is not very obvious. It need s a big arrow pointing over it.

Last edited:

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
I tried leaving this in the server earlier, but just realized cafe doesn't have the feedback plugin, so...
The one spawn room where blue spawns on top of the grating needs fixing. Source has always had issues with players spawning on top of translucent brushes (get slightly caught in the brush) so I think you need an invisible func_brush or something of the sort instead.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
I tried leaving this in the server earlier, but just realized cafe doesn't have the feedback plugin, so...
The one spawn room where blue spawns on top of the grating needs fixing. Source has always had issues with players spawning on top of translucent brushes (get slightly caught in the brush) so I think you need an invisible func_brush or something of the sort instead.

I did see you say that. I also noticed today, cp_steel does the same thing in blu spawn. However yeah, I'll func_brush it, it's one of those little irritating things.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
the console spam about models with no vphys is of an unprecedented size. i was about to post it but even hidden in code tags it made the post too big :p

anyway, with hammers entity report you can get rid of that easily

I will probably have another update out sometime today to b1a, a hot fix solve some of the premature drawdistances, and most importantly to fix the capture at 3-2 not giving additional time. I want to keep beta releases to a minimum--I know the map is large and it's tedious for people to have to download such a large map multiple times.

Last edited:

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
The map is too big. Hopefully it doesn't end up like Meridian.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Took me about 30 seconds to DL and i don't even have a good internet connection. It's not Rexy's fault if people are that impatient.

cp_zinkenite_b10000.jpg

cp_zinkenite_b10001.jpg

Dodgey fade distance.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
The map is too big. Hopefully it doesn't end up like Meridian.

I think poor Meridian had too many risky elements working against it all at the same time. TC is still not really popular and it was compounded by the idea of moving flags around (which if you understand it is perfectly fine). The art style had some funky things going for it. I don't think that download size was the major contributing factor to Meridian's unpopularity.

Expect an update sometime today (EDIT: Tomorrow? I've been playing too much Minecraft!!), there have been a lot of little things to fix. I keep wanting to compile a release, but each time we play I find more things to fix, so it's been nice. I will also be tweaking respawn and capture times slightly to give a better feel of increased difficulty per stage.

Last edited:

PMAvers

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 29, 2008
I think it really came down to the map layout, which can really make or break a CTF map. And let's face it, some of those point matchups were... well, almost like playing ctf_chaos, sometimes. And yeah, there was the weird art bits, like that one path between points with the planks over water. Sometimes it just felt out of place or unfinished.

Would be interesting to see a "modern" remake, since there's definitely some cool ideas there. I think the general concept is okay, since most people understand how CTF works. At the minimum, wouldn't mind seeing someone take a swing at the Hidden Spytech Base On a Tropical Island.

As a wise man once said, "It comes up out of the top of the skull!"

Digression, though. Definitely looking forward to the new zig.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2010
I think it really came down to the map layout, which can really make or break a CTF map. And let's face it, some of those point matchups were... well, almost like playing ctf_chaos, sometimes. And yeah, there was the weird art bits, like that one path between points with the planks over water. Sometimes it just felt out of place or unfinished.

Would be interesting to see a "modern" remake, since there's definitely some cool ideas there. I think the general concept is okay, since most people understand how CTF works. At the minimum, wouldn't mind seeing someone take a swing at the Hidden Spytech Base On a Tropical Island.

As a wise man once said, "It comes up out of the top of the skull!"

Digression, though. Definitely looking forward to the new zig.

what. ooooh talking about meridian. silly me.

Last edited:

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
I just wouldn't want to do such a large scale map like TC meridian-- 7 control points and I ran out of brushes and displacements way back at like 5.6 control points. I had to really crunch the detail in ways that I didn't want in addition to convert to models. The only TC map I would be slightly interested in is a swamp themed one, and also would rather not be in charge of layout and testing for gameplay. I mean, Yikes! that would scare the crap out of me.

lwf

L1: Registered
Aug 11, 2011
Trouble in LOD land! Disappearing rocks, quite useful for a sniper.
BDb9L.jpg

SsiDt.jpg

Details on the door goes missing, the changing shadows on the bridge makes the pop very noticeable. Perhaps it could wait until you're behind that cylinder to the right?
GsHQT.jpg

MOtCl.jpg

These trees are not solid, making it a very good hiding spot which may not have been intended.
Lzzp0.jpg

These however are. Again, climbing them may not be intended.
PxmH3.jpg

Now these are a bit silly and probably useless, but since it seems like you've made an effort to prevent players from standing on props sticking out of buildings and such I'm putting them here anyway. Don't be alarmed, I'm not walking in the sky, but at many places you can get sort of stuck in skybox, clips or whatever it is, however it's not easy staying there and it's probably not useful at all. There were more of those but I didn't bother to try and find them, it seemed to be a lot common on stage 1 though.
Xx5zp.jpg

VTEqM.jpg

US186.jpg

tpiEb.jpg

uG2Vj.jpg

0NBPy.jpg

FuOrE.jpg