WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Arhurt, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    censoreship is and shitty laws are dumb. Of course those laws wouldn't be fine with censored games being censored just optionally, so steam has to give you the censored version of the game until you import it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. ThatOneOwl

ThatOneOwl L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    It's good to be back from the dead. Sometimes...
    20171114053759_1.jpg 20171114053817_1.jpg 20171114053907_1.jpg

Still can't understand how to make a proper lighting.

• Like Like x 3
  3. VinLAURiA

VinLAURiA L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Been screwing around in my empty "sandbox" area for quick prototyping. Made a bunker inspired by the Badlands spire and connected the summits of two of them via bridge.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Wait, that's nutso. So does everyone else in the world just have to memorize what CAPTURE POINT and INTELLIGENCE and RESUPPLY mean?

5. EArkham

aa EArkham Necromancer

Positive Ratings:
    How would you propose localizing textures and model skins without creating a large folder of vtf files that go completely unused by any populace that ISN'T the targeted language? On the surface it sounds like a problem with an easy solution, but it has its own issues.

6. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    The same way Steam allows each localization to have its own separate version of the audio files without forcing everybody to download every one.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Jusa

aa Jusa

Positive Ratings:
    20171115002103_1.jpg 20171115002138_1.jpg

Made some displacement skycards, turned out pretty cool

20171115002213_1.jpg 20171115002249_1.jpg

Also cap holograms in action.

• Like Like x 13
  8. Idolon

aa Idolon the worst admin

Positive Ratings:
    Strings and voice clips are much easier to localize than images.

Strings are a matter of just writing the words down and voice clips are a matter of replacing the original content outright. Easy to hand off to another team.

When dealing with images, you either have to hope that the text is editable (which it may not be if the artist is working in a tool that does not support that, or they have flattened the text in order to apply certain effects to it) or you have to remove the text and start over - and then apply any effects afterwards in a way that is artistically consistent with the rest of the game, which may require getting the original team involved. There's also cases where text may be size-sensitive, where translating the text into another language makes it too big to fit in its original context. You either have to do something clever or just give up at this point.

It's also a lot more effort and possibly outside the skill set that a localization team typically has. You could do it if you had a good localization team and the developer is willing to put the effort in, but (my understanding is, at least, that) many times localization happens towards the end of development and there's no budget or time to be flesh it out properly.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  9. Coding Ethan

Coding Ethan L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    It would be a bit of work to create templates if they don't already exist, but it would be worth it for all the players which may not understand English:
    upload_2017-11-15_11-8-24.png
    Source: http://steamspy.com/app/440 under Geography tag,

As for sign models not being large enough for the new text, enlarging the props horizontally would have little to no effect on nearly any map, as long as sticky bombs can't be hidden in them but player collision remains off.

10. Muddy

aa Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    I don't think it really matters that much anyway. Once players learn the layout of the map - specifically where the objective and the respawn rooms are - they won't even notice those signs anymore.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. hutty

aa hutty

Positive Ratings:

As far as I know the signs in tf2 don't use the shader system they built for the hud, but they could.

12. EArkham

aa EArkham Necromancer

Positive Ratings:
    Nevermind the fact that TF2 was originally designed with non-language visual cues, such as lighting intended routes differently so they stand out, intuitive directions, and icon bubbles over characters' heads. Signs that indicated point A, B, C etc are still valid in many languages and are effectively symbolic since they match the hud.

Signs with actual readable text are almost always just detail and unnecessary to the game itself, so it's understandable why the team didn't want to go to the extra effort of converting any of it or getting a translation team involved at that level.

13. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    It doesn't get used for environment textures because it starts to look aliased at grazing angles. Try it with the floating no-entry sign on enemy spawn rooms sometime and see what I mean.

14. Hyperion

aa Hyperion L16: Grid Member

Positive Ratings:
    upload_2017-11-19_1-9-1.png
    #tomorrow hopefully

• Like Like x 1
  15. Skittelz

Skittelz L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]
    it's coming together (hopefully)

16. saph

aa saph seventeen shades of various blues

Positive Ratings:
    I have the entire week off. Thought I'd play with MVM a little. Displacements will look nice and I think I need to set the lighting back to what I originally had with it. (The hatch area is pretty butchered at the moment, but I'll clean it up tomorrow.)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  17. AlexCookie

aa AlexCookie Suspect of eating cookies alive

Positive Ratings:
    Some satisfying brushwork (not tf2)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  18. B!scuit

B!scuit L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    merc_park_screenshot.jpg
    Got my script to import all the props in a .bsp into Blender working pretty well. Still plenty of props I couldn't load though.
    Had to unpack the 27MB cp_mercenarypark.bsp into a 70MB copy but 430MB of RAM's not bad for 2.5K props

Unfortunately once the import finished I realised I needed to flip the X & Y rotation axis 3;
    Also going to try to get less ERRORs

• Like Like x 5
  19. Kobolite

aa Kobolite doing nothing interesting most of the time

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

this is an new enemy in my minecraft mod. its the bloodsucker. they do low damage but they are very fast and they come in big groups. they currently only spawn in the nether

• Like Like x 3
  20. KubeKing

Server Staff KubeKing Soon it will be different

Positive Ratings:
    This isn't so much a "WiP" as it is a "Let's hope I'm done with this project," but here's version 9 of the trade map I've been working on:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Full album of screenshots

• Like Like x 14
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017