WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
in this image
pl_emerge_a30002.jpg

Can red come from the left there? Seems like they're going to be able to cut off blu once they push past the top of that big ramp. Unless they come from the back-left. But then, again, it seems like blue can cut red off by taking the left route before they've pushed around the building.

Seeeemmmss iffy

They can only come through the upper building and that upper route, so technically they could.

It is DEFINITELY iffy and I know that going into the tests, but I'm interested in how it'll play.

re1wind

aa
Aug 12, 2009
@Frozen: That ramp was quite challenging to get past (aka when i was on blue our team never managed to push past it, but that was probably teams) when i played that map a few days ago. I don't see any changes that would help blue get past the ramp, especially considering the only(??) other route, the right side of the image with the smaller ramp with the wooden cover, is like a long corridor/ramp, giving red even more advantages than they had.

the openness of the arena infront of the large ramp made it difficult to reach the right ramp route without getting picked off or taking damage. The indoor route with the covered drop-down wasn't particularly useful as the layout made it easier for red soldiers/demos/snipers to damage/kill the blue attackers that would drop down.

The flatness of the area past the ramp and lit by the sunlight is almost ironic considering the large ramp before it.

Quite iffy. I predict chaos as soldiers, spies, scouts, and demos get a very easy method to flank the other team regardless of where the payload actually is.

EDIT: those sightlines...
tLxShDx.jpg

i was going to type "koth_viaduct with bots?" before I noticed the word viaduct in the top left corner... :laugh:

I'd love to see similar graphical representations of other maps (pl_upwards & badwater) with actual player data. Class differentiation is optional.

Last edited:

Bucake

L1: Registered
Jun 22, 2015
since it's 8 screenshots, i'll just link the imgur album rather than flooding the thread with images:
http://imgur.com/a/QPmJk

i'm trying to make a koth map. it's my first map. originally i was going for a map designed for 6s, but i'm not too confident i've ended up with something suitable.

i could really use some feedback/criticism on the current layout. i want the map to actually be fun to play, before i start my attempt at making the map look pretty.

in case anyone's willing to have a look in-game for some constructive criticism, i've uploaded the .bsp to tinyupload: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=73494471525481914528
(i wouldn't mind uploading it somewhere else if that's preferable.)
if you do, please keep in mind that many things like lighting, textures, clipping and optimization are all very much lacking. (don't expect anything to be complete or polished!)
i'm currently concerned about things like sight-lines, areas that are too easy to hold or too easy to push through, ammo- and healthpacks, height of the map, height of buildings, too open or too narrow areas, etc..

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I think it looks cool, especially for a first map! I would say if you aren't sure about the layout it is time to test. Enter a gameday (Events subforum) or hang out in chat and try to get your map in an impromptu test there. If you're specifically looking for competitive feedback you might be better off trying to attract the attention of some 6s teams that are willing to test it.

You can upload your map to the downloads section of this site, by the way.

Bucake

L1: Registered
Jun 22, 2015
thanks a lot for your reply : )

i actually didn't realize that the site offered such an evolved system for playtesting.
it's incredibly helpful that given feedback can include coordinates of player-positions and coordinates of what they're pointing at.
i also didn't realize i can actually upload maps directly to the site. i guess i should've scouted around a bit before i started posting - sorry about that!

i'm still a bunch of hours of mapping away from having it ready for test-playing, but i suppose that's what i'll be going for : )
so thanks a lot for the suggestion, hopefully i'll have something ready within two weeks!

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Kaaabooom. WIP cinematics for snowycoast.

O4Uaneg.gif

I dunno why the gif is choppy like that. The animation is smooth, but whatever.

TyeZenneth

L6: Sharp Member
May 31, 2014
How much effort goes into an animation like this?
Most of the effort is probably just setting it up. The actual animation is just physics doing what physics does.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
How much effort goes into an animation like this?

It's a mix of physics simulation and rigged props. The bits that go flying are physics, the bits that bend & twist are rigged. The rigged models process is basically position the bones, weightmap everything, start keyframing.

The physics props are easy to set up (I use a plugin called PullDownIt), but it requires several takes before you get a physics result that works well enough. And sometimes you get in this loop where you endlessly fiddle with the settings over and over to avoid jitter or bad collisions, etc, etc.

Grindstone says I've spent 18 hours so far on the cinematic, but most of that was spent trying to figure out how to do the main ramp. I ended up modeling the damage, rigging it, and animating it by hand because I couldn't simulate it with physics. Twisted metal is kinda tricky to simulate unless you have Houdini or some other high end plugin.

[edit] The small barrier in the middle hasn't been animated yet, btw -- it'll need to twist/bend as the crates clip past it.

Right now the different props are a little out of sync with one another, but that might not be noticeable in the final result. And if it is noticeable, it's relatively easy to fix by just shifting the keyframes a little. The gif is about 1/2 speed.

Last edited:

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
Can we see more of the spawns? Because based on what's in the screenshots it looks like a bad time.

Uncuepa

aa
Oct 25, 2014
Can we see more of the spawns? Because based on what's in the screenshots it looks like a bad time.

I'm compiling the final version now, but I can say that those security gates are in the essence of the top spawn exit on koth_suijin, in the way that they aren't in the spawn, but enemies can't go back there.

Here you can see the other two exits, one being a no entry.

GHIlcc0.jpg

Mar 23, 2010
i like your dev texturing. more ppl need to use those for indoor floors imo.