WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
F5E95A1A0777CFB1055EABD5B9CC46D8EBDA1126

The laser moves back and forth right there, the spectator camera is parented to it.

Duffking

L1: Registered
Jan 29, 2012
Almost everyone: I'm new to mapping for TF2, so I'm porting in a map from Halo!
TF2maps.net: ಠ_ಠ

It happens all the time.

Well I can see why it might be tempting.

Completely rebuilt the area from my previous shots using tidier BSP, so I could practice adding detail. I wouldn't normally detail before finishing the whole map, but thought I might as well since I need to learn more about Hammer anyway.

I presume these should auto-resize by the forum...

2012-01-31_00001.jpg

2012-01-31_00002.jpg

2012-01-31_00003.jpg

2012-01-31_00004.jpg

2012-01-31_00006.jpg

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
That actually looks pretty good, and I'd say it could play well, too. We shall see though, I don't want to promise anything c:

Duffking

L1: Registered
Jan 29, 2012
Duffking, you're getting the hang of hammer quickly -but more importantly, the style of the maps tf2 aims for. :)
Thanks :) It's certainly an easier piece of software to get to grips with than I was expecting. Steam says I've spent about 25 hours on Hammer since Saturday (yay for being a student...) and I've only managed to crash it twice in that time (UEd used to like crashing for just about any reason), you can do most things with only a few tools and it's quite helpful (would never have closed off the voids in construction without the PointFile).

Designing a strong point 2/4 seems pretty tough. Generally they seem to be a bit narrower/less open than mid and final? Fewer entrances to the area compared to the others.

I've drawn something that looks pretty reasonable so I'm interested to see how it looks if I try building it. Luckily I've remembered to keep a location for a forward spawn :p

Fubar that point looks really nice, even with the dev textures!

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2011
Thanks :) It's certainly an easier piece of software to get to grips with than I was expecting. Steam says I've spent about 25 hours on Hammer since Saturday (yay for being a student...) and I've only managed to crash it twice in that time (UEd used to like crashing for just about any reason), you can do most things with only a few tools and it's quite helpful (would never have closed off the voids in construction without the PointFile).

Designing a strong point 2/4 seems pretty tough. Generally they seem to be a bit narrower/less open than mid and final? Fewer entrances to the area compared to the others.

I've drawn something that looks pretty reasonable so I'm interested to see how it looks if I try building it. Luckily I've remembered to keep a location for a forward spawn :p

Fubar that point looks really nice, even with the dev textures!
A couple things:
First: expect Hammer to crash all the time. Save backups under different names, too.
Second: make sure to take a look at the tutorials section, it has a lot of articles on TF2 design theory, both for gameplay and aesthetics. Grazr's signature is full of links to some of the best tutorials.

You're doing great though! Way better than me at first.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
pl_grazr_dynamic_a20015.jpg

pl_grazr_dynamic_a20016.jpg

pl_grazr_dynamic_a20017.jpg

pl_grazr_dynamic_a20018.jpg

pl_grazr_dynamic_a20019.jpg

pl_grazr_dynamic_a20020.jpg

pl_grazr_dynamic_a20023.jpg

Working on BLU and RED spawn before i continue to work on CP 3 and the finale. Hopefully after working out the position of RED's spawn i can get a better idea of how to shape the final area.

P.S. Someone slap me for adding this much detail to an untested map. I have no idea what i'm doing.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Amusing, but a bit hard to moderate whether a map got tested or not before the deadline. TF2maps isn't the only community willing to test WIP maps.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
iirc the first one didnt have testing. the second one had a lot of it.

The second one had far too much, basically no one did more than dev block out their map, kinda defeating the whole purpose of having a 72 hour contest.

May 2, 2009
That thanks was supposed to be slap grazr.

Also: Second last image seems to have very narrow space between the track and metal building just below the bridge.

Last image has huge sightline straight to rock wall.