TF2Maps.net Major Mapping Contest #12: Dynamic CP

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
I would just say dynamic means anything that changes the gameplay based on the actions that the players take. Whether that be changing the layout, changing their objective, offering them choices that alter the way the map plays for each result, or changing the opportunities they can take to win.

Shogun

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 31, 2014
It is Koth, but what if you had the same mechanics in a CP map?

As Freyja said, a dynamic element has to based on the actions that the players take, and most importantly it should give the players new choices that alter the way the map plays and gives different opportunities the players can take to win. Koth_wubwubwub is a joke map, and the low gravity, flashing lights, music, etc. are there to be funny rather than add to the gameplay (I suppose you could say low gravity adds to the gameplay, but just making the map low gravity for no real reason is a pretty poor dynamic element). However, if you think you could find a way to to use these elements to present players with new gameplay opportunities, then I would say that counts as dynamic. If it's all just there for show, that would not be dynamic.

Adobe WH

L1: Registered
Jul 28, 2015
Dy-nam-ic
/dīˈnamik/

adjective
  1. of process or system, characterized by constant change, activity or progress
  2. always active or changing
noun
  1. a force that stimulates change or progress within a system or process
  2. a basic or dynamic force, especially one that motivates, affects development or stability, etc.

By definition of dynamic | My opinion?
  • A Payload Cart is dynamic. | True
  • A Randomly moving train. | True
  • Capping a point | True, if that force stimulates change (TSL)
  • Ambient sounds/environment | False. They can have a process (building up for a climax event) , but don't effect anything.
  • Player Movement | True. Its always changing, and will stimulate many changes.
  • The final music in cp_snowplow | False. It motivates, but no development or change comes from it.
Common definitions of dynamic | My opinion?
  • An elevator | True, if it is controlled by something the player can effect
  • A moving platform | ^^^
  • Particles / environment changes | Depends
plr_split final animation | False. Doesn't effect anything to do with the player.
pl_badwater final exlposion | True, if it didn't happen in the endgame.
  • A Train | Depends
mvm_mannhattan tram | False. Half of you probably don't know what I am talking about here.
cp_overgrown | True. The entire team appearing on the flank is definitely a stimulus.

Everything about the word dynamic is loose.

When we say to make a dynamic control point, the possibilities are loose.

In an official contest about dynamic control points, what is allowed is loose.

Everyone will have a different opinion about "dynamic"

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
I'd like to see less people arguing about what dynamic means and more focus on clean, simple maps with dynamic elements that don't take over or confuse the gameplay. We have a staff definition from Freyja. Someone put that in the OP and let's be done with it.

Done. Everyone move along.

ADDON: Guys, worry less about what dynamic is, or what it could mean. You're all designers, get creative, have fun. If someone says "You know, it might not be dynamic enuogh"... work on it a bit more. You'll know soon enough if your map isn't 'dynamic' enough. Be crazy, be smart.

Aug 2, 2015
had a lil' idea

basically, there's a train going smack dab in the middle of the map, killing anything in its path
if you did a certain thing (capture a point?) you'd be able to stop the train and create a pseudo barrier across a path or something for about 30 secs until the barrier goes down and the train goes on its merry way
the train doesn't necessarily have to be in the middle, there could be 2 or 3 instead of just one
although the problem with this is that what if the train is moving as the point is captured and it collides in the middle of the barrier? plus the multitude of logic entities required in this...

if someone wants to team up with me to do this, i'd be alright with that (although i haven't got much to show, i still know my way around balancing and things, just not finishing things...)
just add me on steam, username is ProfHappycat

Auwi

Certified in best in fun
aa
Dec 12, 2012
I really don't want people to turn this into a "make a unique gamemode with control points" contest. For myself, I'm doing a 3cp map with doors that open to the next area when a point is captured (so people can't forward cap or go to the wrong place). This is not unique but it fits into the contest rules. I'm focusing my attention on the layout and gameplay details to ensure the most fun for players. As for new mappers, I highly suggest you don't make your gamemodes too complex/hard to understand because players will become frustrated. I've seen before people try unique gamemodes and they are amazing (pd_watergate) and others that are not favored at all. For the people who are trying to enter this contest to win; do not think the gamemode itself will make you win. Focus on your layout, and draw inspiration from good maps in tf2. Feel free to be as creative as you want, but to win you'll want the best gameplay experience/ aesthetics you can offer.

Edit: didn't see the rules, apparently "dynamicness" is judged as well. This is probably going to be heavily confused with "make really unique stuff" because there's not much dynamic stuff with control points that is done right. I'll try something though.

Last edited:

Shogun

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 31, 2014
I agree with Auwi. If people have to learn a new gamemode every time the map changes, testing is going to be a disaster.

hutty

aa
Mar 30, 2014
I have a feeling my infographic made my map plan sound more complicated than it really is.
I have a few tricks im going to pull so players will "get it" rather quickly.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
I agree with Auwi. If people have to learn a new gamemode every time the map changes, testing is going to be a disaster.

Welcome to the perils of testing.
Testing is there to try something new, whether it be a new layout, a new gamemode, etc. You're playing something new almost everytime. If you're not a fan of trying new things constantly in a test, then maybe those particular test events aren't for you.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
So Gravel Pit and that one 5CP map with the doors that open and close so that the initial spawns double as forward spawns (I forget the name; it's alpine themed and had UFO sighting photos in the spawn room before it was cool) would both count as dynamic?

Leaf_It

aa
Jul 8, 2015
Done. Everyone move along.

ADDON: Guys, worry less about what dynamic is, or what it could mean. You're all designers, get creative, have fun. If someone says "You know, it might not be dynamic enuogh"... work on it a bit more. You'll know soon enough if your map isn't 'dynamic' enough. Be crazy, be smart.
Alright, Works for me.

I'm glad this contest gives so much time, I wouldn't feel like I could do much otherwise. Thats part of why I didn't do the most recent 72 hour. I had a total of like 4 hours experience in hammer altogether at the time, and felt like I wouldn't be able to really make anything. That and work gets in the way.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Crossroads. That's a great example. I'd love to see more maps like that.
Other than the almost complete lack of team-colored theming. That's something I need to do sometime, write a tutorial explaining why only arena maps should ever use that theme.

Jul 6, 2015
had a lil' idea

basically, there's a train going smack dab in the middle of the map, killing anything in its path
if you did a certain thing (capture a point?) you'd be able to stop the train and create a pseudo barrier across a path or something for about 30 secs until the barrier goes down and the train goes on its merry way
the train doesn't necessarily have to be in the middle, there could be 2 or 3 instead of just one
although the problem with this is that what if the train is moving as the point is captured and it collides in the middle of the barrier? plus the multitude of logic entities required in this...

if someone wants to team up with me to do this, i'd be alright with that (although i haven't got much to show, i still know my way around balancing and things, just not finishing things...)
just add me on steam, username is ProfHappycat
cp_snowplow much?