TF2Maps.net Major Mapping Contest #10: A Tale of Two Skillsets

radarhead

Basically? Kind of a Huge Mess
aa
Mar 6, 2013
Well... at this point it seems like point will not be ready in time for the contest. I'll keep working on it myself as a seperate project though, and I will also enter part 2!

I could also submit point a2 into the contest... some people liked it, many did not however... should I?

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
Well... at this point it seems like point will not be ready in time for the contest. I'll keep working on it myself as a seperate project though, and I will also enter part 2!

I could also submit point a2 into the contest... some people liked it, many did not however... should I?

You have better chances of winning with an underworked entry than no entry at all, although I suppose you have to set a line of standard somewhere.

I think it's up to you to look at it yourself and decide if it's playable or not.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Well, it's playable. It's not the best (a3 was going to be much, much more fun at mid) but I guess I will upload a2 as an entry. It's not going to win, but it would be a shame not to enter anything. A3 version I will upload to map workshop at a later time under a new name.

The awesomeness that is this style of contest, is that your map could not do well in the layout phase, but could rock the socks off people in phase 2.

Side note, you have 1 extra hour to submit, so it's 5PM EST, rather than 4. (2hours, 22 minutes from this post)

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
I only had a couple hours to work on my entry too due to all sorts of technical and scheduling issues. But I still wanted to at least submit something even if it's simple and a bit experimental just in case it works out. And hey maybe someone gets inspired and does a great job detailing it regardless

Another Bad Pun

In the shadows, he saw four eyes lit by fire
aa
Jan 15, 2011
Here is a collection of the contest VMF's.
(7zip)
This should be all of them, including .pop files and such, but let me know if I missed anything.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
If that is the case, other .vmf's will have a similiar issue.

I don't actually remember which ones I had to force into the .vmf file type, so if you stumble upon a crash, please tell me.

I have fixed freshwater (and prescott, thanks Stega for that) so far.

If you get this error, please do the following:
  • Right click the .vmf file.
  • Click "Open with"
  • Select your favorite txt editor (notepad or notepad++)
  • remove the first 2 line until the first {
  • remove the very last line (it's all stuff in <>)
  • replace the very first line with "versioninfo" (no quote marks).
  • resave the file

That should work.

UPDATED the second to last rule.

Last edited:

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
I tried the fixed freshwater, and opening it now returns this.

7q8fl.png

Edit: Same happens with prescott.

GameDev

L1: Registered
Apr 9, 2012
Keikoku seems a little over detailed for a blockout, but it might just be because of the desert textures giving me a bias. Maybe I'll throw myself a curveball and do a forest or something instead.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
Just because it has a few textures and a bit of brushwork in place doesn't restrict you from changing them. The rule is not to change the layout, the fancy trestle, the desert textures, the setting, has nothing to do with that layout.

Sep 19, 2010
Are we required to create a thread in the Contest section of the Map Workshop for the detailing portion of the contest?

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
Keikoku is far more like what we were expecting than most of the maps. Remember that the restriction was "Alpha", not "Block-out." I wouldn't consider it too detailed at all.
Your map must have minimal to no detailing. That is, no theming details, few props, no fancy/detailed brushwork. You can design your map around a specific major prop, or a specific piece of detail architecture, but you want people to detail your map, right? Give them some options!
Keikoku to me has more detailed brushwork than what was needed and has higher prop usage already. Especialy with that rule people were probably expecting that such detail already wouldnt be allowed.

Although many maps are underdetailed to the other artpass contest, keikoku is detailed more than that map:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Abm5cswTKcg

Anyway, as you said on steam already, its within the borders of what was accepted. Next time at least dont mention this though or change it to clarify it a bit more in more accurate numbers:
How detailed can my layout be in phase one?
Keep detailing as minimal as possible. Dev or sample textures, limited displacements and props. Of course some stuff is allowed, but if your map is too detailed it’s not fair to the people doing the detail stage. If you’re worried about what is “too detailed”, let us know and we can advise you. Maps being too detailed does not disqualify them from being entered in the layout contest, but we reserve the right to remove maps from the pool of layouts to be detailed if we think they’ll imbalance the detail stage.
With that i would expect that only a few textures can be used. And although its just his displacements, keep in mind that the other artpass also only had the dev displacement texture. And the propcount on that screen exceeds any part of the video.

If it said a thing like 'Dont go over double the props compared to the other artpass' people at least know what is considered the limit and can adjust to it.

Still, the map has been accepted already and people already might be detailing it and to prevent it now to me would be a bit harsh. If it was going to be removed Aly should have gotten a proper warning about it so he at least could be adjusting it. And its simply too late for that.