TF2Maps.net Major Mapping Contest #10: A Tale of Two Skillsets

Fish 2.0

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 22, 2012
I have always thought that custom content is kind of unfair in regards to a few people here being able to make quality custom content and theme a map way better than anyone else could.

I'm assuming the whole "release your custom content a month before thecontest is over" is there to sorta counter the unfairness custom made content creates?

idk, but I really do feel like I have less of a chance of winning because I have little interest (let along skill) in mastering modeling and texturing but who am I to change whats always happend

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
That's a really silly idea when you think about what the contest is;

It's a environment design contest. Anyone who enters has taken the time to learn hammer and design theory, and the winner will be decided by the enterer of most skill.

Why shouldn't they be rewarded for their modelling skill too? Custom models is always going to be a big part of designing a really good looking map, for tf2 and any other (especially other) engine. There's always a request forum for any large centrepieces you wish for too.

It's not hard to learn to model - no harder than hammer anyway. Go do it! It's a useful skill under any circumstance.

HOWEVER. Your worry is unfounded anyway. Most contest winners have been with stock assets.

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
Why shouldn't they be rewarded for their modelling skill too? Custom models is always going to be a big part of designing a really good looking map, for tf2 and any other (especially other) engine. There's always a request forum for any large centrepieces you wish for too.
You are allowed to create your own models as far as i know. However, if an other person does it then it must be made public in time. So your modelling skill already is allowed.

If other people make your models they do the effort of making your map look good and you gain an unfair advantage.

EDIT: here is the quote:
All custom content must be publicly released before the contest deadline. Unless it is made solely by you, then you do not have to release it. If someone else makes it for you, the assets will need to be released publicly within 1 month before the end of the second phase.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
She was replying to Fish's generalized statement towards anyone with such abilities.

I think it evens out, because if someone is taking time to create props that is time they can't spend in Hammer. That's the primary difference between making it yourself and having someone else do it. Everyone can put the same man-hours into their map (through whatever means, custom content could also include sounds, sky...). If another person is making custom props then suddenly you obtain a potential man-hour advantage over the other competitors.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Some confusion going around that I wanted to clearn.

There is no extension for the first part of this contest. If one is needed either myself or LeSwordfish will make a post in this thread stating the intention. Any other information is to be considered false until I have proven it otherwise.

You have 22 days left to finish your layouts! Goodluck!

froggie

L1: Registered
Jan 23, 2009
Oh, there is a contest going on...? Silly me should visit this website more often...

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
Hey there! Yes, you're running out of time.

But more importantly, are you someone who isn't entering, but still feels that they are skillful, knowledgeable and ruthless enough to play, run and judge all the entries? Give me a shout! PM me here on the forums (and please, do it on the forums, it's easier to remember, more official) with a reason why you feel like you are a worthy judge for the contest.

Krayken

L1: Registered
Aug 6, 2012
Holy crap, I just saw this now. Of all times, one week before the deadline. Ah well, I have a couple neat ideas.

Anyways, I was just wondering if we could use Boojum Snark's resource pack? Just wanted to make sure.

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
This is the last call for people who want to be judges. Starting tomorrow I will be talking with those interested and will be telling them what and what not to do.

Please, if you want to be a judge (I need some) send me a quick PM on the forum saying why you shuold be a judge. I will get back to you from there.