TF2Maps.net 72HR Jam: Winter 2016

Which weekend should we run the map jam?

• 16th January

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • 23rd January

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • 30th January

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • 6th February

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • 13th February (Will run over Valentine's Day!)

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Later than that!

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Earlier than the 16th January!

Votes: 15 32.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
All of these dates are Wednesdays though.

SC PL

local shitposter
aa
Jun 25, 2015
(Everyone is a winner!)

That will be probably 1st time I'll won on this site
foreveralonesmileplz.png

MegapiemanPHD

Doctorate in Deliciousness
aa
Mar 31, 2012
The long answer:

Basically, as sword said, it was super hard to reasonably judge all the entries. It's no fun for anyone involved. So, we set out to find a solution to this. There was a lot of different ideas proposed. Eventually, we just decided to chuck the competition all together. Why? because many times, especially with our competitions, they're super limiting. "Making a CP Map. Make a Payload map. No collaboration" ... it's limiting, even for a 72hr contest where the only limit was time and a couple other things. Competitions can sometimes limit creativity, and make people 'play it safe' instead of trying new things or pushing for some innovation.

We want people to feel comfortable trying new things. Pushing limits, being kind of silly. Removing the contest part of the 72hr, and opening it up to anyone and anything, lets everyone try and make what they want to make. No reservations, no holds. Want to get a couple modelers together to make a new theme pack in 72hrs and then a map to go with it? Go for it. Want to make some killer MvM missions? No one will stop you. Want to use this time to learn how to model a hat? Awesomesauce. Try new things, don't be afraid to take some risks and try new things that you might have felt wasn't 'safe' before.

Go, my friends. Be creative and make awesome shit.

While all that makes sense, can't people just do that anyway? Why limit yourself to 72 hours when you can not and make whatever you want in however long it'll take to finish it.

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
Because it's an opportunity for us to do something all at once in the community.

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014
And because cramming something into three days of work and depriving yourself of sleep is a thousand times more fun when everyone else is doing it with you

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013
Since we're changing the way we're doing it, could also possibly do it more often? Since there aren't issues with post-contest?

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Because it's an opportunity for us to do something all at once in the community.

This, like x10.

It's also a lot different that doing something over a long period of time. You think a lot longer about decisions, sometimes you talk yourself out stuff. When you're put on a time limit, you just go. You make whatever, you don't care what the end product is like, as long as it gets done. What do you lose? Like 2-3 days of work for trying something new and weird? Thats a fair trade-off in my book.

Since we're changing the way we're doing it, could also possibly do it more often? Since there aren't issues with post-contest?
Lets wait and see how this one goes.

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
EDIT:

Scrap that, they are all Saturdays.
Sword, they should be Fridays.

I'm aware of when the contest starts- I'm just identifying the weekends that way.

EDIT: to be clear, the jam will run at the same times as usual unless there's a good reason not to- on GMT that's from Friday evening to Monday evening.

Last edited:

Geit

💜 I probably broke it 💜
aa
May 28, 2009
It's pretty neck and neck, so don't forget you can also change your vote by hitting the "Change your Vote" button if you've voted for one of the dates that clearly isn't going to win.

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
So, if there's a tie, I'm assuming they'll be a re-vote with the tied options? Is there a margin that the winner has to win by to not prompt a re-vote of the highest contenders?

Am I overthinking this?

Status
Not open for further replies.