TF2Maps and Potato’s MvM Servers Present: Mappers vs Machines

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
This contest begins right as this thread is being posted, and the deadline for submissions is Monday, July 31st, 2017 at 11:59 PM EDT (UTC – 4:00).
WAIT WHAT I JUST REALIZED THE DEADLINE ISN'T FOR ANOTHER MONTH THIS WHOLE TIME I THOUGHT THE DEADLINE WAS IN LESS THAN A WEEK

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
Hey guys, I'm hoping to have a conversation about my popfiles and how I can improve them over on the Cargoship thread. I posted my notes for the advanced mission, some changes that I'd like to make for the next version, and my thoughts on each wave. Hope to get some good feedback.

GreenLemon

L1: Registered
Feb 18, 2017
even with one more mounth i cannot acheive to finish my map, im such inexperimented, everything is still dev texture and square brush, i cant imagine an environement ...

radarhead

Basically? Kind of a Huge Mess
aa
Mar 6, 2013
even with one more mounth i cannot acheive to finish my map, im such inexperimented, everything is still dev texture and square brush, i cant imagine an environement ...
Has it been tested? If your gameplay is already proven, I'm sure you could find somebody here more than willing to detail a map.

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
Hey folks, I'm going to start selecting judges soon. What we're looking for is:
  • People who are fair and even-handed.
  • People who are articulate and know what they're talking about - you don't need to be an expert, but you need to have a good idea of what makes an MVM map good.
  • People who are reliable, and are able to dedicate a good amount of time in August to playing maps.

Judges will have to play all the maps, give them considered ratings, and write up a few paragraphs of feedback explaining how you came to those conclusions.

If you're interested in judging, send me a forum PM. Ideally, link me to anything you've done in the past that shows off how good you'd be at judging - either a bunch of feedback you've given, or a high-quality MVM map you've made. We'll be looking for 1-2 judges.

EDIT: Judges can't vote for their own map, and can't win any prizes except for public choice. However, if a judge is collaborating with somebody, that person can win as normal.

GreenLemon

Feb 18, 2017
Has it been tested? |...| you could find somebody here more than willing to detail a map.

And even that is not ready yet, i got big problem trusting people i did not know much, we only tested this with 2 of my friend on my shitty computer barely able to run srcds

And the diffdrence between this and mecha engine 6 player (for example) is very noticable

Fillmore

L5: Dapper Member
Jul 20, 2014
Yes, this should not really be a question. Because if you don't pack those assets in, not only will everyone get those ominous glowing ERROR signs but they could also do some un-intended out-of-bounds walking or whatever else because of the lack of collision that would've otherwise told them to stay within bounds.

Also, friendly advice if you're gonna go whole hog with the frontline assets: Repack your maps, those assets are REALLY heavy on the filesize.

Hydrogen

MvM Maniac
Apr 5, 2017
A friendly reminder of a standard TF2Maps contest rule related to custom content:

If you used any custom assets that are not publicly available, you must release them publicly no later than July 24 @ 11:59 PM ET (exactly 1 week prior to the deadline) or else it will count as a collaboration towards your entry. You may have up to 3 people collaborating towards a single entry.

Speaking of deadline: Upload thread is up

Last edited:

Fillmore

L5: Dapper Member
Jul 20, 2014
You can have multiple missions, just be sure to specify which of them are you entering to the contest.

Benoist3012

L3: Member
Dec 25, 2015
Little bit off topic but will we be able to test our mvm maps on your server after the contest? @Hydrogen
That's the purpose of the servers, yes, +most of contest entries will remain on the servers anyway.

What do we do?
We are a community of non-Mann Up MvM players, mappers, mission makers, server admins, and modders who help MvM mappers and mission makers develop and test their new upcoming content for the entire TF2 community to enjoy!

Roobean

Jul 29, 2017
Hi,

I'd like to start of by thanking all who make TF2Maps.net as enjoyable and great as it is; I have always enjoyed seeing and partaking in the different map related goodness that has come from here and the people. I have gained much more respect when approaching and partaking in this contest; as this was the first time I have done anything related to Hammer and map making in TF2.

Regarding that, life gets in the way, I ended up having to give myself a month on a fun plan on ideas for a MvM Map which approached areas I thought others hadn't; but it ended up being a week, which ended up being two days.

With my dreams and ideas having to be put to one side, I thought I would create something very very simple yet interesting concept to play by; due to being an avid MvM Two Cities player myself, I thought it would be interesting.

Due to this being the first thing I have done in hammer, life and time constraints I found it would be easier to copy over the game logic from a mvm_example.vmf I found (will link this below); I hope this is ok.

I will post below shortly my very simple but fun 'my first map'.

Thanks again,

Roobean

Viemärirotta

sniffer
aa
Feb 5, 2016
Suggest those using Frontline asset to pack with CompilePal in order to minimize file size otherwise caused by unused skins of props.

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
The contest ends fifteen hours from the time of this post!

We're absolutely thrilled to have so many entries, and it's fantastic that people who've never mapped - or never made an MVM map before - are joining in. However, thirty entries is way too many to properly play all of them, so we're going to do the judging in two stages.
  • In the first stage, the contest judges will play all the maps at least a little, and choose a top fifteen.
  • We'll then open that shortlist up for public voting.
It's unfortunate that not everybody will get the same focused attention, but thirty maps is just far too many to play all of them! Every entrant will still get the medal, and if you're not chosen for the shortlist you'll get a lot of expert feedback on how to make your map better.

Mess About

L7: Fancy Member
Jan 16, 2017
sniff... spend all the time on the map, too late for the pop file

well, still learn something out of this event

good luck everybody else