Team Fortress 2 Update Released

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2 Talk' started by tf2.com, Sep 23, 2013.

1. tf2.com

tf2.com L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    An update to Team Fortress 2 has been released. The update will be applied automatically when you restart Team Fortress 2. The major changes include:
    • Strange misc-slot items that are tradable can now be listed on the Steam Community MarketUpdated The Bearded Bombardier and The Bolted Bombardier so they can be equipped with glasses
    Community request:

• Added modelscale and SetModelScale input to Studiomodel so map authors can use them to scale models

Source: TF2.com

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. DonutVikingChap

DonutVikingChap L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Wow, neat :O

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  3. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    finally in 2013 we have a feature unreal engine had since 1998 :D

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
  5. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/1mzheg/tf2_update_for_92313/cce3nqp

6. Faux Rhinoceros

aa Faux Rhinoceros Also known as Dr. Element

Positive Ratings:
    yes

7. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    wow. I never thought I'd see that.

8. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Source 2 confirmed.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  9. Ptimz

Ptimz L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    How do we use this?

10. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Personally, I kind of preferred that people didn't just get to hack models to fit whatever size they felt like instead of the logically correct size. It meant that the burden of making models correctly to scale was on the model makers, for one thing. I can see this getting horribly abused in the future by map makers who have a poor sense of scale and insist that, no, it's the model designers who were wrong, every single time. As well as people using normal props as skybox props despite having way higher polygon counts than skybox props are supposed to.

11. fubarFX

aa fubarFX The "raw" in "nodraw"

Positive Ratings:
    but the size is dynamic, think about it! inflating props here we go!

12. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    How is this any different to $scale

13. fubarFX

Positive Ratings:
  14. A Boojum Snark

Positive Ratings:
    There will always be people who misuse the tools provided. Having the feature available will be great. Off the top of my head the best use will be for nature props like trees and rocks. Toss in ~15% size difference across your props throughout the map.

15. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    This would be awesome of course, so for example the same tree model could look different by giving every prop a induvidual size.
    But unfortunately I doubt it works on static props. I can't check it at the moment, but I heard it's only for dynamic and physical props (can the colisions model be scaled as well?)

But even without scaleable static props, it's an awesome feature which should have added long ago.

16. fubarFX

Positive Ratings:
    now who's going to be the first to make a crazy shrink laser spytech map?

17. A Boojum Snark

Positive Ratings:
    I know the input wouldn't work because static props are not entities, but I would think the key should work. It would be disappointing otherwise.

18. Faux Rhinoceros

aa Faux Rhinoceros Also known as Dr. Element

Positive Ratings:
    Why wouldn't it work for static props btw?

We can already choose whether or not it should be solid and cast shadows. Couldn't the size be something that is determined during the compile, and then be unchangeable for the static prop?

19. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    I want to know if they plan to incorporate this into their other games after this. This is one problem with splitting their engine up into different branches for every single game: Useful features tend to end up in one or two games when they ought to be in all of them. Remember fast alt-tab switching? I don't think it was until the SteamPipe/Linux updates that their single player games finally got that, and it was never officially mentioned in the patch notes even so.

20. EArkham

aa EArkham Necromancer

Positive Ratings:
    I wonder if this will work correctly for models with animations. If you try to use $scale with an animated model, it has no effect on the animations so you end up with something from The Thing. But the fact that the Headless Horsemann uses demo animations makes me think that this new scale thing WILL work.

I never finished my Poopy Joe character because it meant custom animations, but if I can rig him to one of the classes (and use their animations), and then use this to shrink him down, that would be epic.