Snowdrift

CTF Snowdrift b4a

HeaH

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 2, 2008
Remember, you have to be able to stop the attacker before he get to the cp, not after :)

BrokenTripod

L5: Dapper Member
May 11, 2009
Remember, you have to be able to stop the attacker before he get to the cp, not after :)

Yeah, I feel like the map was interesting because this happened. It was kind of like any of the other A/D CTF maps, where the CP itself is ninja'd by a scout or someone really sneaky, but instead of the round ending or the defense running back to defend the next point, defense just...stayed there.

The intel WAS right there, surrounded by their SGs so the defense really had no reason to move back at all. I'm not sure if you want to fix this, or if this is how the map should be...Because if you try moving the intel back to the first point or something, blue just has to draag it along with them and return to get it. If the intel stays where it is now, it's on the way to the enemy base.

I'm looking forward to a10, though.

jpr

aa
Feb 1, 2009
I'm going to keep the system as it is, it's kinda the same with payload, you can cap a point but red can still keep defending it.
I'll try to release a10 next week, then I have 6 weeks for details and more testing

jpr

aa
Feb 1, 2009
I'm going to keep the system as it is, it's kinda the same with payload, you can cap a point but red can still keep defending it.
I'll try to release a10 next week, then I have 6 weeks for details and more testing

Tyker

L5: Dapper Member
Jun 1, 2009
In the screenshot you can see the spawndoor wich has a small crack in it. I saw it everytime after spawning so I had to post about it :D

Is it possible to make the very first snowfalkes to fall, fall at random? Because the first time the flakes spawn, or rather when a player respawns, it looked like a giant wall of snowflakes comes down. After that though it started to come naturally, and at random.

I also saw some snowflakes getting stuck in the sky. Couldn't get a clear screenshot of it, but that might be a part of the lag/framerate issues, as they were just stuck high in the air and they didn't despawn. Kind of a like a memory leak problem where it gets worse over time because they aren't deleted.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I know this is a pretty extreme idea, but perhaps you could add an explosion to the capture of each point. With like a 5-10 second delay so players can still escape.. but the immediate static defences get taken out (IE sentries), which were the problem.

This could perhaps become a theme. Where the capture area is a bunch of radio-active barrels or something similarly volatile.

A possible solution to the act of an immovable defence. Although this annoying scenario might just improve the more people are used to this map. Our team had plenty of uber oppotunities the second walk through, certainly on me, although i never had any ammo when it came down to being ubered >.> not that there was a lack of ammo but there was a LOT of shooting. It was weird.

Probably worth just waiting and seeing. People develop the appropriate tactics to get the job done over time.

jpr

aa
Feb 1, 2009
I dunno, I think the real problem was the small amount of time.
I've been thinking about giving up the snowfall particle effect for that is very laggy, and the sky is clear so I'd have to edit it. Also since I'm going for a pipeline style I might remove mst of the snow on the ground too. Hopefully no one liked this map only because of the snow.
Oh, and also, I haven't been able to work on this for a few days, so there might not be an a10 yet next week.

jpr

aa
Feb 1, 2009
ctf_snowdrift_new0004.png

ctf_snowdrift_new0005.png

ctf_snowdrift_new0006.png

ctf_snowdrift_new0007.png

If I'm quick, a10 might make it to a gameday this week

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Double post ftw.

It looks kinda good, but maybe add some more props. (Or you probably going to do that at the beta?)

jpr

aa
Feb 1, 2009
a10 released, I'll take edit the first post in a minute, need to submit this for gameday when there's still time.
So yeah, I abandoned the remake, and just edited the map like I should've done in the first place, stupid me.

Sgt.Sausage

L420: High Member
Dec 5, 2008
I enjoyed this map i dont no what happened to red the first round but after that it played nicely from what i saw. I crashed about 15 min into the playtest and from what it looked liked, alot of other people did to. I dont no if you map caused the crash or the server, or just individual users at the same time.

jpr

aa
Feb 1, 2009
I'll try making the flag always spawn near the blue spawn, to give red more time to prepare.
Also, people seemed to dislike the last cap area, I'll do something about it too

Edit: Better idea: The flag spawns at the previous point. For example, when blue caps CP 1, the flag spawns at their base, when they cap CP 2 the flag spawns at CP 1 etc.

Last edited:

jpr

aa
Feb 1, 2009
We played a11 today after gameday, and it looks like the map is finally balanced and nearing perfection. Now red has enough time to set up defense on the points, but blue still has a chance to win too. I'm submitting this for wednesday for further testing

Last edited:

jpr

aa
Feb 1, 2009
Oh yeah, that. I'll fix it when I really start working with the detailing.
a11 will be played at today's gameday, the last test was successful enough that I haven't released a new version yet