Snowdrift

CTF Snowdrift b4a

Chaopsychochick

L4: Comfortable Member
Jun 16, 2009
Just played this for the game day and wanted to share my thoughts.

I am rather mixed on the layout, I really like the feel of it and it seems to flow nicely together. The only problem is it is REALLY REALLY stacked for red imo.

Otherwise I really like it, and can't wait to see where it goes.

jpr

aa
Feb 1, 2009
a12 released.
Red felt a leeetle bit op and I found out that you can block when you're ubered or invisible, so I decided to disable blocking. Again.
I'd like this to be the last alpha, but I can't promise anything.

Jamini

Nov 14, 2008
My biggest gripe about snowdrift is how sniper-friendly the first and third points are. While you do have multiple paths to the first point, both of them cross past the wide archway and make it exceedingly difficult to avoid getting headshotted.

Also, I'm really not sure about the one-way gate. While it did lead to some interesting encounters, for the most part it was simply an easy way for RED to flank BLU and take them out en-route the the last point.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I like.

Initial choke is hard but fun, I think blu possibly need another way in thats slightly more spread out than at current, we saw there was a lot of sniping going on and the SGs just weren't quite counterable.

I need to play it more before i draw more conclusions.

Westerhound

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 5, 2009
One thing I noticed really well is at the second BLU spawn is extremely disorienting when you walk out, and then walk left instead of right. Here is a suggestion

snowdrift%20suggestion.jpg

E; Note that I mean that RED should still spawn on that side, and then BLU spawn could prolly be on the otherside to make it eaasier to understand, tho the signs should make it clear even if you spawn the wrong way

Last edited:

Owlruler

L12: Fabulous Member
Dec 10, 2008
Played on this after gameday and found only a few things.

due to the displacement, you could see into the void both here and here

Chaopsychochick

Jun 16, 2009
Just played for game day and wanted to share thoughts.

Over all it looks good, not seeing much of the gameplay changes from last time though.

As an offensive engie, I found it REALLY hard to get a forward base setup between the first and second points. All the places where the metal is seems to be for defensive usage. One place in particular where I felt there should be metal was in the shed on the right just after the first point.

Also, it still felt like having that one way door from the last spawn to the next point was a HUGE unfair advantage for red. You may want to disable that or reverse it upon blue capturing the third point.

Still it is a fun map and I look forward to future versions.

Aug 19, 2008
i like the way the first screenshot is going, the others still look a little bland to me.

the plain metal walls and the snow don´t melt well together as it is, like two seperate entities that dont belong together
give it some subtle supportstructure, concrete footing, some framing

second thing, i know you probably won´t see it ingame that good, but having thick snow lying on the ground and none on the roofs leaves me with an unfinished feeling....

i know, i know, early stage :) just mentioning

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
I think it generally needs more of the eponymous snowdrifts against lower walls, like you did with a displacement and the stairs in that first picture.

The "windier" the environment, the less snow on the roofs and the more piled up against the sides, and vice-versa for straight-down snowfall... So adding more drifts may have a side-effect of making bare roofs look a bit more sensible.

Last edited:

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
You should try and vary your environments. From the looks of your screenshots, every area of the map looks just the same as the last. There's little sense of progress, and no real landmarks to get your bearings with.

PenPen

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 24, 2008
I know that you removed the one-way door immediately after that one capture point (the one before the last point I believe) in b1, but I still think that it's better to become a two-way door (or one-way but the other way around) so it's easier for blu to get a better foothold in that area. Currently, there's only one entrance to the final point, and that's the big chokepoint of the map.

The final point is hard to cap because it's basically merging like 3 lanes into 1, and then you reach the capture point afterwards. So it's relatively easy to defend. I'm not sure whether it's intended that way, but it was pretty hard for blu to go in and capture the intel point.

So yeah, in short the last section is sorta like two chokepoints placed next to each other.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
You need more floor details such as stuff that's been snowed over.