Snowdrift

CTF Snowdrift b4a

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Make it ctf_snowdrift_rainy. The rain turns the snow to slush!

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Come on, Jonah. Don't be so hasty. You've put a lot of work into the theme already and I think you should stick to it.

jpr

aa
Feb 1, 2009
Maybe *sniff*
maybe...

ctfsandstorm0000.png

Say hello to ctf_sandstorm

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
So instead of keeping it snow theme and leveraging Valve's new official assets, you've made it into "yet another desert map".

...good job.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Really? Redo the whole name and style just because Valve may be adding some related art assets?

It may be worth introspecting: What are you trying to prove, and to whom? What is the personal purpose for making the map?

Tentor

L1: Registered
Nov 28, 2008
Jonah sux xd

Actually, the desert theme is like, a million times better. But I'd still like a night sky.

Jack Riguel

L10: Glamorous Member
Jul 19, 2009
*ahem*
http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=2732

I would like to thank you for emailing us to point out that Viaduct is not the first TF2 map to feature snow. More importantly, I would like to thank you for stopping.

Immediately.

In accordance with our corporate policies on plagiarism, Corey Peters—the person responsible for Viaduct—has been forced to uninstall Hammer under the supervision of our crack security team. He was then asked to remove his hard drive and bludgeon it to pieces with a stapler, also under the supervision of our crack security team. Lastly, he was bludgeoned to pieces by our crack security team. He is currently in surgery having important organs replaced. I have seen to it that any map-making appendages he possesses (all of them, to be safe) are removed, so that an oversight of this grievous magnitude will not occur again.

Dhabih Eng—the artist behind the Innovative Snow Effect Never Seen Before in an FPS (his words)—has been suitably reprimanded, and by this we mean he has been launched into space, where I'm told there will be plenty of snow for him to steal. The writers behind the "first Team Fortress map to take place during a snowfall" line on our website have been replaced with new, better writers. (They're surprisingly easy to come by.)

I hope this is the last I'll hear of the matter. Any further emails regarding this will be forwarded to our crack security team.

You have found this post informative,

The Administrator
No need to fret then.

Seriously, if people are stupid enough to think that you're just doing a snow map because Valve just released one, and they neglect to notice that you also started this map quite a long time before this update was even thought of, I will personally make sure their name, address, social security number, and steam IDs will be sent directly to the crack security team.

Besides, people that stupid are probably also too busy waiting for the next 2fort "release."

Also, take this a note of creativity: there is a rather outstanding difference between the apparently light drizzle of snow in Viaduct, and the blizzard/complete whiteout of your map Snow Drift.

This message was stamped with the Alaska Seal of Approval. Trust me, I know the difference.

Last edited:

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
This message was stamped with the Alaska Seal of Approval. Trust me, I know the difference.
They should instead ensure messagea are clubbed with the Alaska Seal of Approval, but then they'd need to catch a new one every few years and teach them how to clap again.

PenPen

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 24, 2008
I say keep doing what you're doing already. It's different from what Valve has and your map will be one of the first released *good* snow maps (even though you're not using their textures) after the classless updates. Add that to the a/d CTF that you've been working on. I think this texture is fine as-is, don't put your past efforts to waste.

evanonline

L420: High Member
Mar 15, 2009
I don't see why so many people are so discouraged by the idea of making a map with a new theme as soon as it comes out. A map should be built AROUND the materials you use for it--if a map is tossed out simply for the sake of being the "first" to have a certain theme then it really is lacking soul. If I were in your place I would be pleased that I'd have a head-start over OTHER snow maps! Adapt to this new content, see if stuff they have can substitute for your own materials, mix and match to your liking. If something in Viaduct looks crappy, use what you already had.

Did people who had custom waterfalls in their alpine maps just suddenly give up and make it into a desert map instead because Valve put one in Sawmill?

Waif

L7: Fancy Member
Mar 22, 2009
Looks nice, however what you need is some little icicles hanging off buildings, and put some dirt / stain overlays on the ground.