Rust

PL Rust final1

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Anyways, the next 2 weeks should hopefully be pretty big updates... since I'll have spring break to do a lot of detailing, I should be able to get the final point detailed, and up to cp2's building detailed. (dunno how I want to do CP2 yet. I have ideas. But in the mean time, i'm going to take what i have detailing wise now, seal it up, do a bit of optimization, and do a release, just to test a few things.

In the mean time, since I hate dull posts. here's the building next to blu. It's boring atm, since I'm not done yet. But it'll be "done" for now. (as in, done for the a8 update)
pl_rust_a80015.jpg

Last edited:

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
Spring break is here, which means Rust-detail-a-thon time! Hopefully, if all goes according to play, expect a significant amount of detailing done on rust this week.... And I say hopefully because I have no idea how I plan on detailing this! But here is some more WiP shots. (Lighting officially changed to gravel pit)

pl_rust_a80018.jpg

pl_rust_a80019.jpg

pl_rust_a80020.jpg

Also expect some stuff to be coming to my new portfolio soon!

I might also write a gameplay and lighting guide too.

May 2, 2009
On the second screenshot in the middle of the image, is that building somekind of silo? I might lose the right side windows as there aren't much room for people in there at least on the top floor.

I also feel that the gate on the first shot is too close to slope as truckdriver would have to park on the slope if he wants it open.

Just nitpicky morning for me.

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
D-d-d-d-d-daily update.

pl_rust_a80023.jpg

and for those who don't know/care. I've started a blog about my level designing, TF2 stuff, etc. etc. (later to be linked with my portfolio).. link in my signature (tbh, nothing exciting yet).

I'll be probably skipping to the final area for detailing now. I'm still not sure how I want to detail cp2's building. So I'm going to detail around it, and hope that things just fall together.

Last edited:

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Are those windows floating in front of the wall

Because I'm just judging from the shadowing, but it looks like they are

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
Well, that is the ultimate goal. I figured that it would be easier to build something up, and then break it down... rather than just building something already broken. That will also make it easier and less stressful for me. I'll have a fully detailed, nice looking map done by the deadline, but the break-down is just an extra thing. (time is not on my side this semester)

I would like to note though, I'm not a huge fan of what i'm doing to CP2 so far... Going to have to do some work with it.

Last edited:

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
Well, I'm not sure I really like what I have in general. It is just a lot of brick and not enough metal. If you kinda of look at it on a case-by-case basis, yea, it looks good. But if you look at the overall feel, you see that blu starts with foundry themed, then there is kind of a foundry theme, then well theme looking... It just isn't flowing how I want it to.

I'll be toying with it soon.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
There's plenty of room in the world for a Foundry+Well/Badwater hybrid theme. I'm mixing Gorge/Hydro with Well/Badwater building styles in my Turbine artpass just to break up the monotony — heck, 3dnj did it over a year ago with Mountainlab — and honestly, maps that try to stick to hard to just one style of construction are only hurting the potential for internal variety. (All of the Sawmill-themed maps out there seem to have this problem.) Just try to keep it logical and not just random mix-and-matching for its own sake.