Retarded Unlock System

Lazy Eskimo

L2: Junior Member
May 17, 2009
I haven't played however completely random unlocks IMO sound great.

I hated the achievement system before, where the only logical way to get them was a stupid achievement map.

well done valve.

It's a million times harder this way. I could of had all the weapons already just playing legit for achievements.

Feb 18, 2009
This unlock system is not going down well... I was playing on a few servers where it's all they were talking about. Few people like the idea, LOADS hate it.
I for one, dislike it. I have the huntsman and an extra blutsauger in about 10 mins. It also make the achievements completely pointless (for me at least).
Obtaining new weapons should be a CHALLENGE valve!!!

Tekku

aa
Aug 31, 2008
This unlock system is not going down well... I was playing on a few servers where it's all they were talking about. Few people like the idea, LOADS hate it.
I for one, dislike it. I have the huntsman and an extra blutsauger in about 10 mins. It also make the achievements completely pointless (for me at least).
Obtaining new weapons should be a CHALLENGE valve!!!

Lucky got had at least something in 10mins.. But i was playing 4 hours and got nothing :(

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
I really hate the new system.. I played 5 - 6 hours and I still have nothing. :(

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Yeah, it's horrible... Still, what alternatives do we have?

- New items would drop from players using them. This would be bad because everyone would forget the objective and scramble for any new unlocks on the ground.
- The old achievement system. Which, needless to say, totally failed.
- Give us the items from the start. But we all know Valve is not going to do that.

The only possible solution I can see is to award these items after a particularily good round, or after setting a new personal record or something.

Aug 19, 2008
i was ok with the old system, you farmed those which you didn´t get to play that much and did those honestly you care most about
by now, i would have 2 unlocked, just by normal gameplay

so yeah, the new unlock system angers me, there is just no parameter by which you know that you might have earned the item :(

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
*happily putters away in SDK updating his resources*
By the time I play maybe they'll have patched something :p
and don't forget people, there is evidence of a trade item dialog (one of those gui test commands). So that's probably coming down the line.

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
The new unlocking system is just not fun.

yep...

still have not found a single weapon...old or new

though I somehow got a second natacha before the update when the steam servers were cutting in and out :p

if their going to make these random items id at least like to see them rolled as a result of doing something useful, like, you kill someone now you have a 1% chance of finding an item, or your team won the round you now have a ten percent chance of finding an item <_< that way at least when you play well you know your chances will be significantly higher

Last edited:

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
nothing in programming is truly random. there has to be a pattern or catalyst.

Artesia

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 11, 2008
IMO the problem with the achievment linking were they weren't regulated.

Link weapons back with achievments
Only award achievement progress in anti-cheat servers with 6+ players running an official map (people would hate that but it would be the only way to elliminate achievement servers)

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
nothing in programming is truly random. there has to be a pattern or catalyst.

undeniable...I'm just suggesting the timing of the rolls be based on something more useful, as it is, I suspect its based on time <_<

Hawk

L7: Fancy Member
Dec 3, 2007
I can't really say either way how I feel about the new system. All last night I couldn't connect with Steam, so I don't know whether or not I was excluded from the new weapons. What I do think is that Valve probably should have included an explanation or something.

I enjoyed achievements and will likely continue to do so, because earning them got me more accustomed to the nuances and abilities of each class. Now that new weapons aren't tied to them, I think they'll still be fun for me.

Phobos

L3: Member
Feb 22, 2009
I don't get the system. Dr. Pepper is right, there must be a pattern for it, but it's so unbelievably random!

I can deal with the randomness of crits because I know there's a system behind them and I also how this system works (base chance + increase through performance).

But here? I got one in spectate, one during regular playing and two while waiting for a respawn. Valve, please explain the drop mechanic in the blog.

NovaSilisko

L42: Life, the Universe and Everything
aa
Feb 3, 2009
As was stated on the server I was playing, either every time someone buys TF2, a player gets an unlock, or some employee randomly poking a button every so often.

Radenska

L2: Junior Member
Jan 31, 2008
1 simple question. Why can't they just give us all the weapons off the bat? Achievement server's were better becuase in 30 minutes with a few friends all of you can have all the new weapons.

Although I appreciate having the loose, fun, work-towards for getting these so they are actually declared a "Reward", that's an interesting point, from the perspective of balance. I don't think they make the new weapons' availability obvious enough in either the UI, or just the gameplay itself perhaps. The freeze cam is not long enough for a new player to comprehend, read, or even internalize what just happened. Therefore, not only getting killed by a new weapon, seeing one in action, and now randomly acquiring it is a bit much to digest at the level of intensity this game has reached.

I've been playing for over a year now and this sytem confuses me to hell. I feel like all of us who worked (or grinded on a custom map) for the previous weapons are getting a bit cheated now when I saw someone collect The Sandman upon entering my first match in Sawmill. I actually take the time to gather the achievements in live real games, and I enjoyed it a ton.

However, they need to just encourage good team-work in a traditional sense into the rewards system now. Someone suggested earning them based on personal stats/goals/best's...and I think that + a mixture of the more whimsical achievements would be a really ideal way to retain the "achieve" part of it. Giving the player more options is always a good choice, and I thought this system was suppose to be an alternative, not a replacement.

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
Bottom line, i dont like randomness, i want to have something to work toward. This system gives me nothing to "work" toward other than picking up the lucky gun or hell, we don't even know what to do really...

That's exaclty my problem with achievements. If I want to work towards better weapons I'll play Morrowind.

If I wanna work towards a team goal of push cart or cap points or cap intel I play TF2.
-------------
I think randomness (I haven't got to play yet) is even worse. What you just see and smg on the ground and you get it? What if you never see one?
Do you have to be a sniper to see the smg?
Do they spawn at certian points so if you wait in one spot long enough something appears?

Sounds STUPID VALVE!

Just give us the damn weapons already and we can play the class the way we want.

I still haven't gotten more than the first kill achievemnt with scout, though I am close to getting 1,000 double jumps. At that rate it would take me oh, 20 years to get the scouts unlocks.
I don't like playing the class, but if I had the new weapons I might. Guess I'll never know.
---------
although I do like the achievments just as a personal thing 'ah cool, I finally got 1,000 double jumps'

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
This would have been the best update in the history of ever... unfortunately not being able to play the update ruined it.

I was so disappointed.

PMAvers

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 29, 2008
Meh.

I personally don't have a huge raging butthurt over it like some people do. Would it be nice if there was some quantifiable logic behind the unlocks? Sure. But, at least people are actually *playing* TF2, instead of servers being filled with spies and snipers like previous updates for weeks.

Especially with a free weekend going on. Don't exactly want to turn new folks off with a 24-man server where 20 of them are pyros...

Last edited: