Retarded Unlock System

Lazy Eskimo

L2: Junior Member
May 17, 2009
It could be a month till I get my huntsman. Weren't they trying to make it easier to get weapons?

Kronixx

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 17, 2009
negative good sir, i did how ever unlock natashca again!

123466.png

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
And I have 2 sandviches, and Youme has 2 Jarates.

I wish you could trade :p.

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
I haven't played however completely random unlocks IMO sound great.

I hated the achievement system before, where the only logical way to get them was a stupid achievement map.

well done valve.

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
1 simple question. Why can't they just give us all the weapons off the bat? Achievement server's were better becuase in 30 minutes with a few friends all of you can have all the new weapons.

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
1 simple question. Why can't they just give us all the weapons off the bat? Achievement server's were better becuase in 30 minutes with a few friends all of you can have all the new weapons.

like most things Ive seen them do...

poorly implemented.

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
Side Note: The jarate is doing a number on people with low end machines. It causes a huge dip in framrate and when they get hit there screen is covered in a flash of white just like a flash grenade.

Kronixx

Apr 17, 2009
Personally, I dont see why people had to abuse the freakin achievement system in the first place....achievements are there to test your skills and make yourself feel good at the game, not just to be some annoying thing in the way you blast through in 30 minutes. I have every unlock, minus the new ones, which i earned all in real games. No achievement servers. The only reason i didn't like the achievement system is because i felt too many people were too childish to just do the work themselves and ACHIEVE stuff. So this new system i think is completely stupid. Give us the guns straight off or leave the system and all the kids who can't complete a few achievements can go play pokemon or somethin. Random PICKUP is ok, i guess...as it adds a element of "searching" the guns on the ground...problem is i've seen 5 people already, yes i counted, "find" guns during setup phases.

WTF?!

cornontheCoD

L420: High Member
Mar 25, 2008
I found the KGB, the force-a-nature while pushing the cart on pipeline, and another sandvich while building a sentry.

Have we heard from valve that it definitely is completely random? I think maybe it could possibly have to do with how your team is doing.

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
achievements are there to test your skills...

""Remember when you ubered me going in for the cap and I switched to my boxing gloves and tried to melee all there defense? LAWLS! i could have easily taken out their 2 sentries and medic and we would have won...but i'm a F'ing douche"""

/sarcasm

Honestly I don't see achievements having to do anything with "skill" and feel most of them HURT teamwork.

/edit: im fine with the way it is, or just unlock it for everyone.

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
You can even "find" weapons while AFK! Amazing!

Kronixx

Apr 17, 2009
some of the achievements do require some talent at the class, i agree not every single one is necessarily skill based. But i definately know valve did not intend these achievements to be abused by achievement servers just cause people didnt have the patience to try and do them in real games...but i guess i should shut up as i'm not gonna change anything of the past and as long as there's a shortcut to something, people will take it. That's the fact.

Bottom line, i dont like randomness, i want to have something to work toward. This system gives me nothing to "work" toward other than picking up the lucky gun or hell, we don't even know what to do really...

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
Bottom line, i dont like randomness, i want to have something to work toward. This system gives me nothing to "work" toward other than picking up the lucky gun or hell, we don't even know what to do really...

I agree with you 100%.

I played ..

BF2, BF2142, CoD4...

pretty much played 24/7 till i got all the unlocks and a ridiculous K/D average.

Then stopped them all, 100% because there was nothing else to work towards.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
A trade function would make this system a little more bearable.
I played for a few hours, and I couldnt access my backpack (it said I lost connection to steam). But I kept playing anyway... I got no drops at all.

Then I restarted steam and I suddenly have jarate and an extra flare gun, and as an added bonus it reset all my sniper and spy achieves :S

At the moment it feel like there is no connection between the game and the drops, there needs to be atleast something you can put effort in to have a higher chance of getting a drop, or something... its too random right now.

cornontheCoD

L420: High Member
Mar 25, 2008
I agree with you 100%.

I played ..

BF2, BF2142, CoD4...

pretty much played 24/7 till i got all the unlocks and a ridiculous K/D average.

Then stopped them all, 100% because there was nothing else to work towards.

But see, before the updates, I was playing TF2 because it was fun.

Now, sometimes I feel like I'm just playing for new items.

uma plata

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 20, 2009
I'm probably the only person who doesn't mind it. I got Jarate, but that's it so far

R.I.P. achievement servers, is basically what it comes down to

The random system is the only thing Valve could do that could not be gamed by players or server owners (and they mentioned that a few times in interviews as a concern). Everyone gets the stuff at the same rate, presumably, whether you try to cheat it or not.

Also, achievement servers invalidate achievements themselves, turning them into a chore instead of something interesting that happens during play, often performance based

Valve put the time into coding the achievements, they wanted them to be used for their original purpose

Last, I'm sure Valve has their reasons for releasing content gradually instead of all at once. Getting you to play more is probably a big part of it

III_Demon

L2: Junior Member
Sep 28, 2008
i've always hated unlocks, period. just give everyone the gear and let them pick. i hate having to unlock characters in fighting games, i quit playing BF2 because the unlock shit was irritating the hell out of me, and i've never played an MMO in my life. keep that crap out of TF2 entirely. just give everyone the weapons immediately.