Retarded Unlock System

Guyovick

L1: Registered
Jun 21, 2008
Psychology

If you have taken a coarse in Behavioral Analysis or anything covering operant conditioning you can sort of view this as a change in reinforcement schedule. The previous weapon unlock system and the current one are both using new weapons as a reinforcement. While the unlock systems do not exactly follow one of the defined schedules of reinforcement they are close enough for analogy. In general, achievements can be viewed as reinforcements too, however this is muddied a little because the behavior being reinforced is different for each achievement. The only thing each achievement has in common is that they reinforce the behavior of playing as a specific class.

Previously the weapon unlocks were reinforcing the behavior of earning achievements using a semi-fixed ratio reinforcement schedule. By reinforcing the behavior of earning achievements they were indirectly reinforcing the desired behavior of playing as a certain class. The fixed ratio schedule of reinforcement produces large bursts of behavior, but once the reinforcement stops extinction of the behavior is fairly quick.

The new weapon unlocks seem to be reinforcing the behavior of simply playing the game, rather than playing as a specific class, using a variable interval schedule of reinforcement. The variable interval schedule produces a steady but moderate amount of behavior and extinction of the behavior happens much more slowly when reinforcement stops.

By changing the behavior that the weapon unlocks act on, as well as the schedule of reinforcement, Valve appears to want to reduce the "achievement farming" defined by large bursts of achievement unlocking behavior.

Smetzle

L3: Member
May 20, 2009
It would be better if they kept the achievement system but also had the unlock system of the new update, but have it increase your chances of getting a new weapon the better you're doing. Also, make it so you can only unlock weapons for the class you're playing as.

I'm not having much luck with the update at the moment though, I've got 15 Spy achievements and all I've unlocked is the KritzKrieg.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
This would have been the best update in the history of ever... unfortunately not being able to play the update ruined it.

I was so disappointed.

Exactly. I was so incredibly excited to finally be able to snipe with my revolver and to be really sneaky and cool with the Cloak and Dagger.

And here I am, with two Kritzkriegs, two Flare Guns and two Blutsaugers while I run around like an idiot, trying to find an enemy who can activate my "up to 8 seconds" of cloak. I did not want this.

EDIT: Actually, I just noticed that I posted a few hours back about how I think it's bad, but I could live with it. Needless to say, I've changed my opinion, after I found out that you can get duplicates, and it takes fecken ages.

Last edited:

Psyphil

Nov 6, 2007
I'm got so releaved when I read this:
Robin Walker:

“As in everything else we do, we want to iterate, so this is really the first step towards our desired implementation. We also think we have bugs in the system as well, since we’re seeing some players not finding any items after a few hours of play, which is not at all how it’s tuned. We want unlockable drops to be a pretty regular occurrence for players, with the cosmetic hats being the rare finds.”

I hope they fix it soon

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
hmm...interesting, its a bug that is making everything so damn hard to find...

well...im going to try something for the hell of it, play in 30min intervals, if i have found nothing, restart the game and play for another 30mins, should minimize the source of the bug :p

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Umm... okay, this is a pretty urgent bug in my opinion. We've had the bugged system for several days now, is it really that hard for them to get off their asses and give us a quick fix? Anything?

I was going to cut them some slack because Robin stated that it was not intended to be like this, but come the hell on!

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Oh yeah, they don't work on weekends. Not even Saturdays. Slackers. :p

Alright, I'm expecting a patch tomorrow then...

May 23, 2009
Is tomorrow a bank holiday for america or just the UK? If it is it wont be fixed until tuesday or later.

StoneFrog

L6: Sharp Member
May 28, 2008
It's weird. Surely it can't be more complicated than changing a percentage or two. Gabe, just call up the janitor and tell him to change it.

NuclearLaunch

May 10, 2009
Good Idea

yep...

still have not found a single weapon...old or new

though I somehow got a second natacha before the update when the steam servers were cutting in and out :p

if their going to make these random items id at least like to see them rolled as a result of doing something useful, like, you kill someone now you have a 1% chance of finding an item, or your team won the round you now have a ten percent chance of finding an item <_< that way at least when you play well you know your chances will be significantly higher

That sounds like a good idea, this way people will actually play to win and will have more fun.

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
It's weird. Surely it can't be more complicated than changing a percentage or two. Gabe, just call up the janitor and tell him to change it.

Or just call Stavos. Remember guys, everyone was fired so we can't expect mush from valve except for a Greek language support update.

suzzanuzza

May 18, 2009
I got 3 extra Backburners, 3 extra Kritzkreigs, 3 Ambassadors, 2 Cloak and Daggers, 1 extra Force a Nature, 1 extra Bonk, and 1 extra Axtinguisher. Thats all i remember but i think i got more.

MungoKing

Jul 12, 2008
I got 3 extra Backburners, 3 extra Kritzkreigs, 3 Ambassadors, 2 Cloak and Daggers, 1 extra Force a Nature, 1 extra Bonk, and 1 extra Axtinguisher. Thats all i remember but i think i got more.

How long have you played since the update?

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
How long have you played since the update?

yeah...christ, im averaging 1 weapon every 4.5 hours

Jan 31, 2008
I've got everything except Cloak & dagger and the huntsman.
It's an okay system. Just add the trading system and it's fine in my opinion.