Pyromania: Day Two

LMFAO

Banned
Jun 14, 2012
Meet the Pyro looks gayer than I expect. No unmask. Too bad Valve.

I've signed up for the Beta key.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
I loved that, very much.

This would also explain all the recent "movie" and TV related things valve have been doing. I'm going to assume some sort of SFM thing for adult swim now.

... ze pieces, zay are falling into place.

EDIT: I am actually okay with the Pyro's "Identity"

Last edited:

thaumiel

L1: Registered
May 9, 2012
we've unfortunately played this game for like 5 years now. There are definite straight upgrades to the stock weapons, mostly melee related

definitely true. however, most of the best melee upgrades are achievement unlocks (equalizer, axtinguisher, ubersaw [I think, anyway]). and among secondaries it's generally the early ones that provided a complete change—for instance the pyro has shotgun, which is equally effective against everyone, and the flare gun, which can be more effective against everyone (except other pyros) if you have good aim. and then the later unlocks are 1 more shotgun and 3 more flare guns, all with slight changes to the original. similarly the scout has a choice of pistols or status items (although the best status item is probably Mad Milk rather than Bonk!) for his secondary; the demoman has a choice of shields or sticky launchers; et cetera. when they've tried to introduce a new playstyle with more recent items, like with the quick-fix, well... look at the quick-fix.

i hope this makes sense

colacan

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 14, 2012
I had an old hotmail adress I don't use anymore and at name fields I just filled in Santa Claus. Works like a charm...

Deodorant

L6: Sharp Member
Oct 31, 2011
Here's what I was half-expecting in Meet the Pyro:

Pyro unceremoniously unmasks and reveals identity near beginning of video.
Back-and-forth cuts (like in the older MtT vids) between unmasked Pyro casually explaining its backstory, removing all mystery, and masked Pyro on battlefield doing awesome stuff. In a shocking twist, unmasked Pyro suddenly reveals itself to be a disguised Spy. Just as the now undisguised Spy is about to tell the viewer what the Pyro's actual identity is, the masked Pyro jumps in and kills him.

I'm not quite sure whether I'm disappointed or happy. Both that concept and the real one lack the personality and subtlety of the other MtT videos, but I think that's mostly the fault of the Pyro class. You can't really play with the nuances of a character when the character is defined by its lack of definition.

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
I personally guessed the interview bit years back.

Let me see if i can dig up the shitty old script i wrote...

HEAVY: Is little miracle.

ENGINEER: yeah, that li’l androgynous conflagrationary guy saved my bacon more than once.

HEAVY: Don’t mind not man or woman thing. In Russia, not so special.

ENGINEER: And the thing with the fire he does?

HEAVY: Which one?

ENGINEER: The one with his hands not his gun.

HEAVY: Da. Is special girl.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Wow. Even when I try to aim low with my predictions so I don't get let down... they let me down. (As a reminder, my prediction was that Meet the Pyro would premier during one of their commercial breaks.)

Try to read the whole text next time:
you'll be the first to know when we have MORE new stuff coming down the ol' Steam pipe-hole...[sic] Because this ain't the last you'll hear from Adult Swim and Valve. Stay tuned.