Pyromania: Day Two

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Doesn't the regular flare inadvertantly have a mini-crit knockback affect already? If it wasn't for that fact i'd think the weapon might be fairly interesting to use, but with the existance of airblast and a -50% damage penalty it seems like just another redundant weapon.

Mar 23, 2010
I just realized that the beggars bazooka can be spotted in the F2P announcement video, that was made OVER A YEAR ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ8duKs2Plw&t=0m32s

you'd really think it would actually be a decent weapon then. i guess that explains how it seems geared towards f2p newbs. i mean 3 degrees of missing potential - now you can really blame the game when you miss! beyond that, it's a more fun cow mangler. (makes more sense stat-wise kinda)

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Doesn't the regular flare inadvertantly have a mini-crit knockback affect already? If it wasn't for that fact i'd think the weapon might be fairly interesting to use, but with the existance of airblast and a -50% damage penalty it seems like just another redundant weapon.
Yes, there is a bit of a knock-back, I forget if it was intended.

you'd really think it would actually be a decent weapon then. i guess that explains how it seems geared towards f2p newbs. i mean 3 degrees of missing potential - now you can really blame the game when you miss! beyond that, it's a more fun cow mangler. (makes more sense stat-wise kinda)

Honestly, I've never aesthetically liked the dumpster pack, I think it's pretty bad. And the stats on the rocketlauncher, I don't like either. The 3rocket thing should be pretty appealing as a mechanic, which it isn't. unless all 3 rockets come out at once, then it's just a multi-projectile CowMangler. (That you have to click everytime you want to fire)

Honestly, if you're holding out to fire off 3 rockets, I think they should have a much higher rate of fire, but the same spread as a normal rocket, or if there is a spread, not 3 degree's.

Until I see it in action though, I'll be sticking with my Strange RL.

EDIT: Found this image on reddit:
WCl0T.png

Last edited:

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Yes, there is a bit of a knock-back, I forget if it was intended.

Well that's why i said "inadvertantly", because knockback is merely an affect from all forms of criticals. Including mini-crits and crits from hitscan weapons. A normal flare wouldn't do any knockback granted a player isn't already on fire, but most pyros tend to go for shooting flaming players with flares anyway so my thought is the knockback would have to be pretty significant to even warrant using it.

I suppose my personal greivance with this weapon is the fact that TF2 is already significantly slower in pace than TFC, then they added stuns, natasha and the airblast. Yet one more grievence weapon that slows down gameplay and increases the chance of stalemates/battles of attrition.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
And, arguably, the Wrangler, which makes it harder to destroy sentries designed to cover large swaths rather than narrow chokepoints. Then again, the Direct Hit made it easier before that, so maybe it's about even. *shrug*

Deodorant

L6: Sharp Member
Oct 31, 2011
Holy shit you guys are negative.

This update included three of the most good-looking and stylistically fitting sets in the workshop, as well as an incredibly sweet-looking community flare gun. The rocket launcher does admittedly seem pretty spammy, but it all depends on the variables attached to it; How long it takes to charge up, how big is the window between max charge and overcharge is etc. The Scout set isn't anything that I'd want to use, but the alternative playstyle it suggests looks sort of fascinating, and I don't think it looks particularly crutch-y. The SMG is a bit odd, but I'm happy to see a new non-shield, non-piss secondary for the Sniper. The Rifle seems like a long-overdue encouragement to headshotting Snipers, and though this doesn't include me (Sniper's one of my least played classes), I welcome it with open arms. The flare looks.. Intriguing. I really can't form an opinion about it without seeing how it works in-game first.

I like this update.

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Holy shit you guys are negative.

This update included three of the most good-looking and stylistically fitting sets in the workshop, as well as an incredibly sweet-looking community flare gun. The rocket launcher does admittedly seem pretty spammy, but it all depends on the variables attached to it; How long it takes to charge up, how big is the window between max charge and overcharge is etc. The Scout set isn't anything that I'd want to use, but the alternative playstyle it suggests looks sort of fascinating, and I don't think it looks particularly crutch-y. The SMG is a bit odd, but I'm happy to see a new non-shield, non-piss secondary for the Sniper. The Rifle seems like a long-overdue encouragement to headshotting Snipers, and though this doesn't include me (Sniper's one of my least played classes), I welcome it with open arms. The flare looks.. Intriguing. I really can't form an opinion about it without seeing how it works in-game first.

I like this update.

You must be new here.

No one here has been particularly impressed by an update since the Medic's. These updates are a chance of hope and usually provide disappointment. People are gonna be cynical. Most of the weapons released have been redundantly UP or stupidly OP; or even stylistically daft. I'm not even going to get into the straight up upgrades from promotional updates *cough* Deux Ex *cough*. Yes these weapons look to fit TF2 more than usual but we all see a half heartedness behind each and every one of the weapon releases. Whether or not it's the beta testers or Valve's fault is another question but people seem to say that Valve doesn't really listen to the beta testers. Thus we get weapons with silly stats and mechanics. I'm not saying they should be expected to get it perfect everytime, but how long did it take them to nerf the equaliser?

Last edited:

Mr.Blob

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jun 12, 2009
The sniper set is insanely awesome, I really am glad they added a useful rifle alternative.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
I would just like to be Trotim/Sel here for a minute.

The Dumpster pack is horribly ugly. I understand that the original idea of the TF2 Weapons was to make them look customized and specially made, but that pack just takes it waaaaaaay too far, and really kind of breaks the artstyle for the soldier. I think I would like the pack a lot more if it was made for the scout, because I could loosely see that fitting into the scout story.

I still think that a Huntsman + Carbine + Kukuri/Shiv/Pan will be my new sniper loadout. (Sorry Jarate!)

Last edited:

Deodorant

Oct 31, 2011
You must be new here.

No one here has been particularly impressed by an update since the Medic's. These updates are a chance of hope and usually provide disappointment. People are gonna be cynical. Most of the weapons released have been redundantly UP or stupidly OP; or even stylistically daft. I'm not even going to get into the straight up upgrades from promotional updates *cough* Deux Ex *cough*. Yes these weapons look to fit TF2 more than usual but we all see a half heartedness behind each and every one of the weapon releases. Whether or not it's the beta testers or Valve's fault is another question but people seem to say that Valve doesn't really listen to the beta testers. Thus we get weapons with silly stats and mechanics. I'm not saying they should be expected to get it perfect everytime, but how long did it take them to nerf the equaliser?

Yeah, I'm not saying updates in general are necessarily great. There's an abundance of weapons in the game that are badly balanced or promote 'bad' play styles. The Grordbort weapons, a bunch of promos, most of the paints, the unusual effects and a handful of non-promo hats have been brutal kicks in the metaphorical balls of the once so amazing art style. I don't want to be too critical, because game design must be pretty damn difficult, but there's no doubt Valve has made some very questionable decisions in updates past.

This particular update, however, seems pretty good on paper, at least to me. Not being hyped about updates in general is understandable, but bashing everything new before one has a chance to even see it in action seems exaggerated.

I also wholeheartedly disagree with Frozen about the dumpster pack. From the Soldier backstory:
Though he wanted desperately to fight in World War 2, the Soldier was rejected from every branch of the U.S. military. Undaunted, he bought his own ticket to Europe. After arriving and finally locating Poland, the Soldier taught himself how to load and fire a variety of weapons before embarking on a Nazi killing spree for which he was awarded several medals that he designed and made himself. His rampage ended immediately upon hearing about the end of the war in 1949.
If anyone would build a rocket launcher out of garbage, it would be this guy.

Last edited:

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
I've sufficiently given up on balance or aesthetics to hope that an update will be merely briefly fun.

Three degrees is also stupidly small. It might have a long charge-up time, though. If it was, it'd be much less useful for direct combat. (Although jumping around, unable to shoot, watching a meter count up to when you finally unleash a massive rocket attack that'll really fuck that scout sounds fun.)

Harribo

aa
Nov 1, 2009
I think plenty of people in this community enjoy the updates, it's just people love to whine and whinge in these threads about everything so anyone who isn't sick of reading about people being negative about every single patch doesn't post/venture into here.

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
The Scout's new pistol though is just random boring stats, and hidden +15% health is a big no. Upgrade in comp but super unfun - worst kind of unlock.
The KGB SMG is nothing interesting either. Maybe it will turn out to be fun ingame, and seeing an SMG at all is good, but the stats again are just so generic.

The other four weapons... could possibly have potential, will have to see them ingame. From an aesthetics standpoint the new rifle and pistol look too similar to stock to me... not that you'd ever get to see the pistol being used ingame.

Also ignorance is bliss apparently, no offense, but having seen all the updates and working on the TF2 rebalancing mod really showed me how many issues there really are. I keep saying it's not whining, it's complaining because we expect better and still think Valve could do a better job. I still think adding entire sets is a dumb idea, forces them to include models and make up stats that just don't fill any niche. At least this time they dialed it down a bit and e.g. didn't include the new Sniper set knife so that's improvement

Last edited:

Deodorant

Oct 31, 2011
@Deodarent: I did not remember that, but I still stand by opinion that it is ugly has hell. And that isn't a good ugly.

It's a matter of taste, I suppose. I think the fact that it's chronologically appropriate and tastefully colored elevates it above a significant portion of other items, and as I quite like the Mad Max-style makeshift aesthetic I don't have a problem with the garbage look. But yeah, it's definitely a subjective issue.