KotH Protest a9 [Deleted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

YOYOYO

41 crashes and counting
aa
Jul 10, 2017
Skyline a5 - City vs farm King Of The Hil

This is an a5 of a koth map. Blu City people vs Red farmers. YAY! (I did dev texture this time) Report anything wrong in commets.

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
Map is very flat and open from the screenshots. Add more height variation and cover. Adding buildings could partially fix both of these problems at the same time.

YOYOYO

41 crashes and counting
aa
Jul 10, 2017
which side would you say needs more cover?

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
From the screenshots, both. I can't download and play the map because I'm on a trip and I don't have my computer.

YOYOYO

41 crashes and counting
aa
Jul 10, 2017
ok, cool

I've already added a new red team sniper tower

Attachments

• koth_skline_a60000.jpg
    koth_skline_a60000.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 65

YOYOYO

41 crashes and counting
aa
Jul 10, 2017
This was more of a detail update. The ramp finally works, the train looks cleaner, and I gave more cover(crates, lots and lots of crates) also RED HAS A SNIPER RANGE!

Read the rest of this update entry...

YOYOYO

41 crashes and counting
aa
Jul 10, 2017
oh, sorry 'bout that

ima find a new name

YOYOYO

41 crashes and counting
aa
Jul 10, 2017
I've changed the name of the map due to copyright, and a bunch of other things. The only thing I can remember is that every time a bot gets hit with a train, I laugh. Also tell me why you think I named the map protest (hint, its a farmers vs city map, also look at my horribly made skybox.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
I've changed the name of the map due to copyright,...
Copyright isn't the issue. The issue is someone who has the original map joining a server running your map, and being unable to join because the map they have is different from the one the server is running. It's the same reason you need to upload each new version of your map with a unique version string.

YOYOYO

41 crashes and counting
aa
Jul 10, 2017
its not really an issue with the mechanics, its more I don't want to get on anybody's bad side. Plus I'm fine with finding a new name.

YOYOYO

41 crashes and counting
aa
Jul 10, 2017
WHO THINKS I SHOULD GO INTO BETA?

sorry caps

YOYOYO

41 crashes and counting
aa
Jul 10, 2017
what do you mean by that?

YOYOYO

41 crashes and counting
aa
Jul 10, 2017
sure, but I'd like it if someone gave something they would like me to: add, change, remove, etc..

iiboharz

eternally tired
aa
Nov 5, 2014
Making maps is more than just adding/removing things. Maps are effectively living breathing spaces and you need to design them in a way that makes sense in real world space and in the context of the game. You can't really just have a big huge box with things in it. The map needs to have real form and flow.

Micnax

Back from the dead (again)
aa
Apr 25, 2009
Look at official maps and see how they're designed much like real spaces. Factories, shacks, barns - all buildings with height variations and cover around natural environments that provide the same. Your map is primarily a flat square with some basic buildings. It's a great start, but it's more of a practice run than something you'd want to release to the world (of course, we've all started out the same way, myself included!)

You could likely scale the map down by a factor of 2, and add more buildings made of brushes around the area to create interesting geometry with varying height levels that'd be fun to play on. Your control point definitely needs some cover and possibly height variation too so that players find it fun to attack/defend it (no-one likes being killed by a sniper from across the map after capping!).

A few guides that might help and give some ideas:
https://tf2maps.net/threads/guide-scale-and-your-map.12605/
https://tf2maps.net/threads/guide-balance-layout-and-your-a-d-map.10518/
https://tf2maps.net/threads/guide-objectives-and-your-map.14594/

Hope that helps! And of course, test your map on the TF2Maps servers. Everyone here is willing to help refine and improve your map.

Status
Not open for further replies.