Petrol

CP Petrol a18

tovilovan

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 23, 2008
From a runthrough I'm already stunned, the layout seems incredible (even though I think there are a few things that need changes, right off the bat the change that absurdist proposed), and even at this stage I get a feeling of how the is going to look later on. I think you've really succeded with making all the cap points interesting and different.

If you need a collaborant I'm very much willing to help you out with anything, can't allow this not to get finished!

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
My only suggestion comes from a compliment. I'm in love with your second, it's got some great geometry to it, but I think adding some stairs down from the far right entrance from CP1 (if you're running into the tunnel from CP1, head far right etc..) could use some stairs or something going down into that moat just to make it a bit more used.

I'm sorry that you might not be able to finish it, do what mangy did with wildfire?

The screenshots aren't very descriptive, but there is a one-way drop-down blue can use to get into the moat sneakily. It's a risk-reward situation. If you get caught down there, you're screwed. If you make it through, you're right behind enemy lines :)

May need more tweaking though, after more testing.

On another note, thank you everyone for offering your help. I'm still busy with other things atm (I'm losing sleep these days) but I'll pick someone to help me soon. Thanks for your patience.

Last edited:

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
A train ran me over while I was still in spawn.

what the hell, man.

Feb 14, 2008
Christ, that's 4 times more alphas I managed in a year :O

Deloras

L2: Junior Member
Aug 20, 2009
I asked for a test of cp_petrol_a8 and it took place yesterday. It was played on a high level server with slots and class restriction, uber.fr, the community server of canard pc.

I was there to test it and here is what came out:

POINT A:

Both team took it quickly, the fights were interesting and nobody complained about that point. It's well designed and the balance is good (taking account of the fact that it is a first point). It might be a good Idea to give RED a way to jump on the roof of the building over the track.

POINT B:

Here is the point that was disliked the most I believe. The underground route that go from A to B looks like a big trap. Very easy to spam into it when you are defending. It's very tight and there is no way to escape but to run to the gap around B, where you are a quite easy target for those who are defending on the point.

I think the position on the point might be a bit overpowering. You can see all the access to the point and have a good cover. Blu team has none. When a Blu comes out of the tunnel, he has no cover, he is an easy target to snipers. I think there might be a lack of health kit for the blue team. Almost every kit is a small one. You should turn the one in the tunnel into a bigger one. Also, the right path to attack could be more interesting if there was a way to go on the point from there. In fact, the lack of cover of this path, in front of the big cover due to the point's parapet and the defensive height advantage, plus the no-way back, make it almost suicidal to choose that way to attack.

To resume: More cover to attackers, less spammable and larger underground passage, with health and ammo.

POINT C

Very nice point, that offers a good balance and challenge to BLU team. One issue I have noticed, is the lack of cover to attackers again. The biggest problem I have noticed is that it is pretty easy to push Blue team back to B point, and once the fight is on B point again, it's hard to get back on C. I don't know about the respawn time at the moment, but it might be good to reduce it to blue team. The right path to attack offers a good situation to Blue team. Might be good to add some cover to Attacking position, for instance, the building over the point is a very good position to attack, but you are also very vulnerable. Some health kit to attackers might be enjoyable.

As it is now, I think it's the most balanced point, the layout is almost perfect.

POINT D

That one was a bit confusing. I heard people complaining about the visibility of the control point. You might have to add arrows, the D letter on the rock seems to indicate that all the area is the "area D" and not the position of the point that is right over it (I didn't have any problem to see the point). As a blue heavy, I almost did nothing here. The exact time I stepped out of the tunnel, a sniper bullet came into my head. The attacking tunnel doesn't protect you far enough to avoid taking damages from far away. Anyway, we only played it once and we capped it. I have absolutely no idea how we did it because I was scared to leave the tunnel between C and D.

That's it for the test session, it was a pleasure to play your map and I'm very impressed by the quality of the layout. It's something very good you've done here, there is not much to change before the map get a perfect layout.

Keep up the good work!

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Interesting how it sounds like they played B differently than all the times I saw it done.

Mr. P. Kiwi

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 22, 2009
POINT B:
Here is the point that was disliked the most I believe.
I agree with that, but only because it's a very major way for a lot of players. If it was like the one in the final stage in Dustbowl, a not so common way, I believe it will be much more fun. In Dustbowl, if we're talking about that, the tunnel isn't very big, nor has a lot of cover and it doesn't lead strait to the point. Instead of these, it's for the brave Demomans and Soldiers who want to bypass the attackers with a way to help the rest of the team to break through. The defending team can use it too to sow destruction and panic at times of great need.

Zhan

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 18, 2010
Aw, I really liked point B when we played a10 yesterday! It would perhaps be nicer to attack if there was one more way to get out of the ditch, but I think it was a fun battle for RED to defend that point.

The only point I think needs a lot of work is D, since the pit is not very useful and it's not too comfortable to move around the whole arena. I do like the train, though, where it passes through A and D!

Okrag

Wall Staples
aa
Jun 10, 2009
a10 had made a lot of changes to point B, which is why it was probably more fun.

skinnynerd

L2: Junior Member
Sep 17, 2010
Quick suggestion, sorry I'm late...

How about making the actual spawnroom under the traintrack (with the train track visible above on a bridge), and having ramps up to the areas where people wait during setup? It seems like this would eliminate the annoyance that people feel when the train blocks off the exit that they were going to take, and would probably help with awareness of when the train was coming, because there would be a longer LOS to where the train spawns.

Other than that, I agree that the pit was annoying, mainly because it is the immediately apparent path the the point, and I had to work to find the other paths. Also, there needs to be a focal prop somewhere above and behind D; the first time a got near the point I got killed because I didn't know where it was (and because I got killed :) )

Sep 1, 2009
The map is lacking something. When I play as pyro , I know what it is. Its cp_Petrol for a reason....Petrol is a flammable liquid . I as a pyro want some one time exploding barrels.
Because Pyro+Flammable Liquid=B00M

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
You're asking for the implementation of potentially gameplay-altering items? I just can't support you on this. The pumpkin bombs, which heavily affected how manor plays, should not have been added in my opinion, as they were never part of the way cp_artpass played. They are fun though.

Secondly, pyros would be the least likely class to set off such a device, sorry to break it to you. I imagine explosives and bullets would be first to blow up petrol containers.

Sep 1, 2009
You're asking for the implementation of potentially gameplay-altering items? I just can't support you on this. The pumpkin bombs, which heavily affected how manor plays, should not have been added in my opinion, as they were never part of the way cp_artpass played. They are fun though.

Secondly, pyros would be the least likely class to set off such a device, sorry to break it to you. I imagine explosives and bullets would be first to blow up petrol containers.

Since when did I say I wanted them to explode via a pyro, as I already knew flames don't do damage to breakables etc. All I want is Explosives that are just out of play yet can be still damaged, that if are shot or bombed explode with dramatic effect as since when can you fight in a refinary without some big-ass explosion from all these bullets, sparking and bombs?

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Since when did I say I wanted them to explode via a pyro, as I already knew flames don't do damage to breakables etc. All I want is Explosives that are just out of play yet can be still damaged, that if are shot or bombed explode with dramatic effect as since when can you fight in a refinary without some big-ass explosion from all these bullets, sparking and bombs?

I as a pyro want some one time exploding barrels.

-_- Not the same thing?

Sep 1, 2009
People like fireworks , Pyros like explosions.

Mar 23, 2010