-simplified geometry
-Added 4th exit for red spawn

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
cp_petrol_a14
-Improved engineer conditions on final point
-Added drop-down route into final point
-Removed randomness of train (Now comes every 90 seconds on the dot)

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
TMP is helping me with development now. He'll be taking a load off my back as I head back to school.

cp_petrol_a15
-Added cover separating entrances to D
-Widened dropdown path to D
-Added more health near C
-Added ramp on B for easier access to cap zone
-Fixed stopwatch not working

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
You need to SetTeamRoles for both red and blue, otherwise the game can't recognize who is attacking/defending

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
A16 Finished, sorry for the long wait.
-Added some props for some skill jumps
-Added a forward respawn for Blue after capping B
-Made some ledges more accessible by walking
-Redid a bit of the geometry around B
URL: Click Here
Internal Chanelog said:
-Added some props to reduce FPS in areas
-Widened some doorways so offense steamrolls harder
-Created some speedbump thing at B
-Added random brushes to make the pyro OP

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
I wanted to share an opinion about petrol, mainly being that apart from maybe capture point B, this map is utterly repulsive to defend on, and I find that I enjoy myself less each time I attempt to play it, mainly for this reason entirely. Each iteration that added game play changes make it less easy for red to defend and has really crushed my passion for this map. First it was some walls at C being removed, and then later, a revision of D that really pissed me off in terms of first simplicity of design, and secondly in the ability of Red to successfully defend D. The majority of good changes were in the design of A and B.

To illustrate my point I want to showcase the win ratio for the most recent version of petrol. I feel like we've had more tests of petrol than this, but these are all that I could find in Geit's feedback system. And then, back to a point, the win ratio hadn't yet been implemented, and the ones on the bottom of the list are no doubt the older versions. This is not nearly a wide enough sample of play tests to make a truly accurate average of win ratios, but in any case, here it is:

Petrol_ratio-2-21-2011.jpg

So whether it's very situational or we can blame it on team stacking or whatever you want, I'll be making sure to keep track of the win ratio for petrol in the future, because it is a huge concern for me. And you may tend to disagree with me, but I feel that a greater blue to red win ratio does not make a map better.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2010
I must agree with everything Rexy said.

I must also say that I did not enjoy attacking CP B at all as well.

It's an incredibly interesting layout and map, but it needs some big changes I think. I'll get more in depth with suggestions later.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
I'm aware of the balance issues in the map, and by no means am I satisfied with it. I assure you two that we are working on it and Petrol will not get out of alpha until these problems are rectified.

waxpax

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 25, 2011
We pugged your map tonight. It probably needs more than one route for defenders into some of the points since it's sort of who can get their demo to spam the choke first. Heavy was also kind of ridiculous.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21561105/New Map PUGS/20110305-0048-cp_petrol_a15.7z
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21561105/New Map PUGS/20110305-0103-cp_petrol_a15.7z

I'll be uploading the mumble recordings soon.

Edit: mumble recordings: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21561105/New Map PUGS/petrol.7z

Edit 2: Oh, we also played the second half of the pug with no heavies because there were some complaints about how powerful that class was in the first half.

Last edited:

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
Version a17 Released. Finally.
Download:
HERE(/bz2, its on the TF2M servers)

Changelog
-Made the map fun again

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
I enjoyed the short test we ran on it yesterday- at all numbers of players i had fun. I dont like D very much though: The final fight feels messy, and spread out, with the point seeming really painful to get to. The only time i got near to it was by rocket-jumping, and most of the fighting consisted of spamming across the trench at snipers.

Could just be that one test though, but thats all i can think of.

Also, i hate those places where you have to jump. I saw two or three people run down by pyros at them, and it makes it a step harder for blu to do some damage and retreat for health. I seem to be the only person who ever complains about them, though.