Panamint Springs

CTF Panamint Springs a18

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Ok, new post to bump the thread with this advice.

ctf_panamint_a60000.jpg

Conjoin these buildings. This provides an inside scene and outside scene of attack. All the ramps get old pretty fast in your map and hopefully this will reduce the thought that some ramps were placed in simply to allow you to get to the objective, and improve immersion.

Also having a balcony where i showed with the blue circle as a sentry position may allow for some defencive oppotunity on the right flank, covering the middle. Rather than generic spam from doorways by defenders on the point.

ctf_panamint_a60001.jpg

I think this area could be widened to provide more of an impressive scene. Right now it's not particularly cramped but i believe you could do more with more space at your disposal. As it is, remove the plank. Allowing players to constantly change direction of attack loosens assualt attempts and splits the team up when they panic in the face of more than one defender. It confuses players as to what tactics to employ in assaults and is what gave the spy's a particularly happy run of the map. You need to give players specific choices, not free run of the map from any position like a death match map.

Remove the model sign you have used (circled) and put in an arrow overlay instead, perhaps on a wooden sign at floor level. As it is (regardless of being red on a red background) it is small and insignificant, and you already have two others around this entrance.

ctf_panamint_a60002.jpg

Lower the level of the raised passage on the left. It seemed to high.

ctf_panamint_a60003.jpg

Simplify this area. You're in alpha and you're already making some messy complicated geometry here. Remove the platform and simply extend the clif to the spawn exit. I would recommend a smaller entrance at placement 1 or a larger exit at placement 2. Placement 2 is a prefered choice on my part as it allows atleast one exit with a view of part of the battlefield. Right now each exit only looks into a pit of doom.

ctf_panamint_a60004.jpg

Remove the plank. It always seems like a cool idea to allow people to walk ontop of roofs. But it breaks immersion when not done properly (which is incredibly hard to do as it is) as it puts it into the players head that they can jump onto any roof they feel like in this map (which obviously they cannot). Giving the circled roof a regular "^" shaped roof will hopefully deter the idea that they can get onto it when removing the plank.

One of the issues i had with this map was there there were always atleast 3 different directions i could be attacked from and i was constantly paranoid (especially what with all the spy's), let alone always watching the sky (when players should be focusing on the objective). Having accessable roofs did not help this gameplay aspect.

ctf_panamint_a60005.jpg

Remove these stairs and either extend the building out more to provide more space inside the building in question or provide a balcony as shown. Allowing defenders direct access to every position in the map meant there were no positions for attackers to move up to. It was a constant struggle to get from spawn to CP2 without A) getting killed by a spy jumping down onto you, or B) taking enough spam damage from rockets and spammy heavies overlooking from planks above, that any chance of you surviving more than a second when you eventually do reach the objective was.. well it wasn't going to happen.

ctf_panamint_a60006.jpg

I see too much of this. Every room seems to be seen into or out of. No cover is real cover in your map. Which was frustrating, for both teams. Close this. and reduce the general number of doors throughout your map. Each time you transist between one building to another you have a doorway, this isn't necassery. Open up some of you buildings with larger passageways and rooms, thinking of your buildings more like shells than houses. Unfortunately i can't get into a good position to take relavent screenshots for suggestions for this but use your imagination.

ctf_panamint_a60007.jpg

To assualt from the left, here, meant passing the enemy spawn. This is just generally bad level design. It either results in spawn camping or no assault ever getting past, depending on how the teams are stacked.

Once again defenders can access all area's from anywhere at this location. When a player spawns he must be given a decision on where to go defend. Left, right, the middle, objective, or counter attack. This dictates where he travels, what tactics he employs, the dangers he will encounter, what class he should choose, and from experience the chances of making a lasting defence. In opening up most of your map how you have, you remove these focused choices and players get lost for what to do.

Remove the ramp that allows defenders direct access to the CP, and put a passageway to the balcony from the left, to allow Blu to still assault from this direction. You'll need to provide seom cover for Red however as this balcony does overlook their spawn.

This will focus the defence somewhat to the right, though i leave the decision to completely cut off the left from defenders up to you. Due to the insta cap nature of this mode defenders get a hard time getting caught off gaurd just once.

Last edited:

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Gameday Bump

Main thing was that stage 2 cp 2 has to be more attackable. If you have some more stuff that you would like to see changed, tell me!

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Updated to a7

ctf_panamint_a7
- Changed some planks to catwalks.
- Added a building in stage 1 between the building with cp 1 and the building before it for making it bit more defendable for red.
- Added a door in stage 1 that only opens when cp 1 is captured to prevent blu players passing cp 1 and running to cp 2 without cp 1 capped.
- Removed a plank at stage 1 arround cp 2 to not connect every building to another one.
- The full setup area for team blu in stage 2 is now func_respawnroom, to prevent sentries, etc in the setup area.
- Changed a the roof of an accessable building at stage 2.
- Changed another building at stage 2 arround cp 2 to give blu some more advantage.
- Added a little more cover at stage 2 for blu.

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Gameday Bump

Some things were: - Incorrect timer in stage 2
- stage 1 os visible when you are in stage 2
- stage 2 is a bit too easy for blu

There were a lot of other things, but I don't remember myself. :/ If you have any feedback about it, please post it now .. ! :)

Aug 19, 2008
nkay

so, loved the changes on cp1 and the midsection, definately an improvement,
i think stage one is pretty solid now

as mentioned, the timer... add time for the next round at the previous rounds last cap

stage 2....
the blu spawnarea is huge, too huge, takes ages to get out, feels unneccessarily enormous, lower the ceiling, shring down some rooms

didn´t see sentries going up to stop attackers right at their gates, you might want to look into that

cp1 is too open, has too many angles the addackers can come from, so even having a good sentry is pointless

in general the stage feels unproportionally vast and open, i was repeatedly raped by several scouts who could just explore the space, leaving slower classes no chance of getting them

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008

-The very opening stretch looks very sniper and soldier friendly. Maybe a few props for cover against the rain of rocket shells and sniper fire.

(all left/right references are from attackers perspective).

Back tracking a bit here, this did seem somewhat of an odd statement. Think about Dustbowl CP1. It plays out almost exactly like this except this has a height change.

Going right provides a route with more cover but more ambush oppotunites, going left provides you with a direct line of sight to CP1 (good for demo jumps) but is in the open for snipers. Going left provides a flanking oppotunity and is particularly advantagous route to spies as this does lead to a favoured sniper location.

I wouldn't have said more cover was a necassity for Stage 1, CP 1, other than perhaps the far left path, to dive into if things do get messy in the middle. Particularly now that the whole right route is indoors. But this might unbalance the snipers all together as getting at the snipers would just be childs play providing no SG defends one of the many doorways en route.

I hope Hanz likes his new CP1 area.

edit: I was thinking about removing the third optional path below CP1 for you when you asked me to provide you with alternative solutions to your current setup. As this connects with the central path later on anyway and merely opens up more potential avenues of attack in the middle (which is probably your main issue with your map, the many directions of plausible attacks). The idea was to provide a drop down gate much like the gates in steel that activate after CP1 capture, within the back of the CP1 room. This would provide a direct path for the flag courrier that splits later rather than being the laborynth of infinite door choices it is here :p. Covering the right hand side for Blu helps focus playing for the gameplay objective, as it is now less of a free for all to constantly get shot from behind.

Last edited:

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Bump for the testing we had after the gameday from sunday. :)

AntonJ3000

I am inactive and make horrible maps
Oct 29, 2008
Hey, as I said to you in chat, you should make bigger block-zones.

2djt8uq.jpg

Like that, sorry for my bad paint skills :p

Rutiz

L1: Registered
Apr 13, 2009
In stage 2 red spawn, when you walk out of the spawn everybody goes straight in that room, but there isn't a way up. I think you should add a sign.
---------------------
In stage 2 blu spawn, I always go to the closed gate, but then it doesn't open. It's just kinda annoying so: please set a STOP sign on that gate. (That big hand)

---------------------
In stage 1 - 2 blu spawn, they are too big

---------------------

In stage 2 blu spawn, when you are an engineer, you can't build a teleporter in the setup area, and it's quite annoying that you have to make your teleporter too far away from the place where the blu's spawn, maybe you must delete the func respawnroom there, if you want to.

I hope stage 3 comes fast! ;)

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
In stage 2 blu spawn, when you are an engineer, you can't build a teleporter in the setup area, and it's quite annoying that you have to make your teleporter too far away from the place where the blu's spawn, maybe you must delete the func respawnroom there, if you want to.

I disagree with this. It's a standard for spawnrooms in attack/defense maps to be a little long with multiple exits, where you can't build. If you remove the func_respawnroom, players will be confused when they try to change class and die, and the teleporters will be invincible.

I think that both stages have very good layouts. I wouldn't change a lot in stage 1. However, I think RED feels a little too powerful with all their height advantage in stage 2, point 2. There's no way for BLU to assault the control point without being spotted by RED long before they get there. The route with the boxes is the worst, since they have to stop for a while to climb up there. Make that a ramp and give them a little more cover.

The area where RED can stand to block the capture is too small (is there even one?). In my opinion, it would be good if it covered the entire room (in the case of stage 1-1, only the upper area).

Also, the door leading to stage 1, in BLU spawn in stage 2 is bugged. It's blocked, so that's fine, but in one round it stayed open so BLU could see stage 1.

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
I thought it would be useful to let you guys know that I leave to Austria thursday, and that I will return arround the 25th July. +I don't have internet there, so the map will be on hold till then. I will probably post the map for gameday on friday, and I hope there will be some people who can tell me how it went.

I can map offline there, in Austria, but you won't see an update until the end of July. (I still hope there is an internet connection without password ^^)

So, the map will be on hold between 9 - 25 July.

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
After seeing some of the changes you made in a7, i feel i need to re-state some important things about gameplay.

The changes i made around CP1 for you were to improve gameplay in this area for you. I'm not objected to you changing them but you kinda missed the point i was making on this specific occasion.

The changes i made were to focus player direction/movement and provide suitable alternative defence options other than simply standing and setting up sentry farms on the objective itself. Whilst also reducing the frequent "pointless" deaths that get experienced from having so many doorways to get attacked from behind from.

This was your map previously. (please excuse the bugged polgyons on my player model, my games been doing this a lot recently).

routes1.jpg

Please note all the oppotunities players have to adjust their path of attack. This has made for messy gameplay mechanics in your first area.

I'm going to reference Badwater and Dustbowl here to make my point more visual and hopefully understandable.

First of all Badwater. (please full view the image). Note how when given a particular route to an objective you are not given an oppotunity to deviate until you reach the objective (with the exclusion of the occasional drop down oppotunity). Note how simple the paths i have overlayed are, then look at yours.

routes2.jpg

This illustrates what i had done to define paths of attack for you.

routes3.jpg

Area edited.

routes4.jpg

Now you went and added in another doorway to the section i cordoned off, when i told you you already had too many doorways.

routes5.jpg

Lets now look at Dustbowl for some layout advice.

Although the initial area is out in the open players are still restricted by the valley in the centre to the 3 main paths of attack. If things get hectic a player may opt to drop into the central valley but they leave themselves at a height disadvantage. Red have a specific defencive position on the objective and 2 entry ways into this area. The key factor is the dictation of a specific nomans land (as highlighted in green).

dust3.jpg

Again. 2 particular paths of attack excluding the demo and soldier's jumping ability. Red have a specific defencive location, but with more alternative positions that look onto the objective. A particular nomans land can be seen.

dust2.jpg

It is important to note the simple exits and entrances between each area. Usually consisting of 1 major and 1 minor opening, or 3 minor. This is adaptable to the occasion, as long as the exits are balanced in comparison to each other, and that there are not so many that cannot be defended by a team of 16 individuals (that may not all be alive at one time).

dust1.jpg

Now lets take a look at yours:

routes6.jpg

Well it's not looking too bad at Blu's spawn but.. then we get to the middle and suddenly there are about 8-9 different locations you could be shot from. Having that many Red arrows is bad.

I hope this illustrates the main issue with your map so you may avoid this in future.

Last edited:

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Updated to a8.

- Fixed the timer.
- Dropdown added at stage 1 cp 1 that opens when blu caps cp1. (Thanks grazr!)
- The blocked door at stage 2 blu spawn has now a big hand on it. :)
- Removed the sniperfence at stage 2 cp 2
- Added a ramp at stage 2 cp 2 at the left to make it easier for blu to attack the control point.
- Enlargened the blockzones and marked them with hazardstrips.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+ Thanks grazr for all the advice you gave me so far, I will see what I can do with this all.

+ I leave now to Austria, so you won't hear me again till the 25th or 26th.. ;)

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Gameday Bump (The Friday Gameday)

Yay, I have internet here in Austria, but my labtop is waaay too crappy to play tf2 or even watch demo's. So if someone, or a few people could tell me how it went, that would be awesome!

Zeewier

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 20, 2008
The screenshots you asked for:

*edit* the screenshots are now in the first post or outdated

Last edited:

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Awesome! Thanks Z33W13R!
Then I'll now quickly write the changelog for a9:

- Added stage 3 (for screenshots look above, 3th, 4th and 5th screen)
- Added a stair for red at stage 2 cp 2 to make it easier to defend + placed the sniperfence back for more cover for red.

Last edited:

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Gameday Bump

I wasn't online at the moment panamint was running on Gameday (I also can't join because of my crappy labtop :/ ) and it is neccessary for me to get feedback how it played, especially stage 3, since it's never played before.

I hope for some feedback and reactions, thanks!